What Comes First? | The Boneyard

What Comes First?

Reaction Score
I was playing tennis yesterday and a gentleman walking his dog went by on the other side of the fence. I commented to him on what a good looking dog he had (a beautiful adolescent Irish Setter) and noticed he was wearing a Uconn tee shirt. It turned out he is a Uconn grad and a big fan of the women's basketball team. I asked if he ever visited the Boneyard, which he said he did, although I didn't think to ask him if he posted and if so under what handle. We chatted a bit about the plight of the football program and he noted that he played football while at Uconn. I'm guessing this would have been in the early 60's. As he started to continue his walk I asked on last question - What comes first, a Uconn women's basketball National Championship or the football team winning a game, any game? We both went with the women winning a NC.

So, what comes first?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I was playing tennis yesterday and a gentleman walking his dog went by on the other side of the fence. I commented to him on what a good looking dog he had (a beautiful adolescent Irish Setter) and noticed he was wearing a Uconn tee shirt. It turned out he is a Uconn grad and a big fan of the women's basketball team. I asked if he ever visited the Boneyard, which he said he did, although I didn't think to ask him if he posted and if so under what handle. We chatted a bit about the plight of the football program and he noted that he played football while at Uconn. I'm guessing this would have been in the early 60's. As he started to continue his walk I asked on last question - What comes first, a Uconn women's basketball National Championship or the football team winning a game, any game? We both went with the women winning a NC.

So, what comes first?
UConn fans are everywhere. When I go out of the house wearing some UConn gear, it’s not uncommon for someone to ask if I’m a UConn alum. When I respond no, just a huge fan of their WBB program, you’d be surprised how many of them are fans too, or at least have heard of them, and know who Geno is. Which is pretty good considering we’re on the other side of the country. That’s why you see so many people wearing UConn gear in the stands on road games.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The football team has 'winnable' games against Yale and UMass.
The UConn women will probably have 'loseable' games in the NCAA semis and final game.
So the football team might [hope not... but might] have 2 seasons of games to win one before we get #12.

UConn football wins that bet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The football team has 'winnable' games against Yale and UMass.
The UConn women will probably have 'loseable' games in the NCAA semis and final game.
So the football team might [hope not... but might] have 2 seasons of games to win one before we get #12.

UConn football wins that bet.
I was at the Army game. UConn's defense is atrocious. Check the play by play. I don't think that Army's first team punted. Yeah, Yale and UMass are theoretical wins, but don't underestimate how phenomenally bad this year's team is. The good news, I guess, is that we are playing mostly all underclassmen, so there's hope for the future, but wins are going to be hard to come by this year.

That said, I'll take UConn football, because there's always hope and UConn quarterback Tyler P looked pretty good this weekend, even though he was a true freshman in his first college start.

Reaction Score
Much as I hate to say it, the WBB team does have a couple of "loseable" games during the regular season.
South Carolina, Louisville come to mind.
Not saying they WILL lose, or that I'm wishing for them to lose.
I'd love to think that with the team we are preparing to put forward, 39-0 is a distinct possibility.
There are unknowns and potential stumbling blocks aplenty.
I mean, who would have imagined giving up 90 points to Arkansas?
Depending when the football team is scheduled for their "winnable" games...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
As I understand the original question, any in-season loss by the women wouldn't matter...it was whether the women would win ring 12 before the football team won any game. I really don't mind an in-season loss by the women as long as the lessons learned that game translate to winning our last game of the season....i.e. #12.

Reaction Score
As I understand the original question, any in-season loss by the women wouldn't matter...it was whether the women would win ring 12 before the football team won any game. I really don't mind an in-season loss by the women as long as the lessons learned that game translate to winning our last game of the season....i.e. #12.
Correct.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom