What can you expect from football independence | The Boneyard

What can you expect from football independence

Reaction Score
“It’s logical to assume, that on this very fluid scale, UConn would fall a few notches below BYU and perhaps just above Army (which continues to deal, rightly or wrongly, with the legacy of only winning more than four games once from 1997-2015).”

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I respectfully suggest the following section is more interesting for UCONN:

"What it all amounts to is the Huskies being an attractive opponent for Power 5 members which means its schedule strength as an independent will be stronger than UMass’s. If UConn, like BYU, can obtain even unofficial “Power” status, even more Power teams could come calling.

While this would boost the Huskie’s own schedule strength and therefore make winning games (and returning to the land of .500) more difficult, on the plus side it would put them in a far better position in terms of negotiating TV revenues and bowl tie-ins. It amounts to an opportunity to regain some of what is naturally lost by not having a conference to partner with."

Reaction Score
I respectfully suggest the following section is more interesting for UCONN:

"What it all amounts to is the Huskies being an attractive opponent for Power 5 members which means its schedule strength as an independent will be stronger than UMass’s. If UConn, like BYU, can obtain even unofficial “Power” status, even more Power teams could come calling.

While this would boost the Huskie’s own schedule strength and therefore make winning games (and returning to the land of .500) more difficult, on the plus side it would put them in a far better position in terms of negotiating TV revenues and bowl tie-ins. It amounts to an opportunity to regain some of what is naturally lost by not having a conference to partner with."
Agree need to win at least 5 to 6 games a year and be competitive in games against P5.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I honestly feel like our football prospects are much better as an independent. UCONN is a brand name and it seems other brand names are already recognizing that by scheduling us. This will help our recruiting and our attendance. The AAC was a very good football conference with crappy brand names, I'm sorry to say.

I think we're on the verge of a rebirth, my friends. If Edsall can refrain from saying dumb things, the future is looking brighter, folks...

Reaction Score
I honestly feel like our football prospects are much better as an independent. UCONN is a brand name and it seems other brand names are already recognizing that by scheduling us. This will help our recruiting and our attendance. The AAC was a very good football conference with crappy brand names, I'm sorry to say.

I think we're on the verge of a rebirth, my friends. If Edsall can refrain from saying dumb things, the future is looking brighter, folks...
I agree. I've been saying this since the move to independence was announced. I think this will have an overall positive impact on recruiting. It is great exposure for the brand and the university from coast to coast. New opponents year after year. P5 schools coming to East Hartford with UConn traveling to new territory. I know I am excited about the possibilities. I hope this gets others pumped up as well. The future is certainly looking bright me thinks.

Reaction Score
I agree. I've been saying this since the move to independence was announced. I think this will have an overall positive impact on recruiting. It is great exposure for the brand and the university from coast to coast. New opponents year after year. P5 schools coming to East Hartford with UConn traveling to new territory. I know I am excited about the possibilities. I hope this gets others pumped up as well. The future is certainly looking bright me thinks.

You know what will get me excited, or pumped up if you will? The day people stop touting, and using the word, exposure.

Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with AAC Football on the field. A good number of them have gotten better & better. The attraction - even without the putrid UConn play - of playing in Memphis & points west just wont work.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
There’s nothing wrong with AAC Football on the field. A good number of them have gotten better & better. The attraction - even without the putrid UConn play - of playing in Memphis & points west just wont work.
There was nothing wrong with AAC football or baseball. The problem we had was that for everyone else in the conference (except to some extent Cincy), their fans judged it as an upgrade. We are one of the very small number of programs whose conference situation was a downgrade - in a time where getting fans in seats has become especially challenging nationally. There was no lipstick on that pig for UConn fans. #19 SMU is still SMU and our fans would rather play any former BE team.

Reaction Score
BYU tends to have older players with their mission year thing. If we are going to win with a tough independent schedule having more redshirt juniors and seniors is going to be a big part of it. This is the rebuilding the roster part of what Edsall is in the middle of. Having enough skill players that are at the level of the P5 is huge.

Reaction Score
There was nothing wrong with AAC football or baseball. The problem we had was that for everyone else in the conference (except to some extent Cincy), their fans judged it as an upgrade. We are one of the very small number of programs whose conference situation was a downgrade - in a time where getting fans in seats has become especially challenging nationally. There was no lipstick on that pig for UConn fans. #19 SMU is still SMU and our fans would rather play any former BE team.
It just wasn't a fit. The TV/conference money even on the 2nd contract was worse than we got in the old Big East. Gave it a shot and it didn't work out. Can't understand why the fans of these other schools take it so personal but whatever. Moving on. These schedules look better. Up next, wins and addressing coaching salaries.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It just wasn't a fit. The TV/conference money even on the 2nd contract was worse than we got in the old Big East. Gave it a shot and it didn't work out. Can't understand why the fans of these other schools take it so personal but whatever. Moving on. These schedules look better. Up next, wins and addressing coaching salaries.
The irony is that all of those schools who are taking it personally also applied for the B12.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Telling a kid you will play Clemson, Ole Miss, Michigan, etc is a draw. It beats saying you will play Tulsa, Houston and ECU!!

This. From another thread, UConn's recruiting class is ranked in the 70's which is in the ranking range RE did well with in the BE.

UConn's schedule is still going to have a few games down south and a few in the mid Atlantic every year which is the best area for UConn to recruit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom