What bazz needs to learn | The Boneyard

What bazz needs to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
when we are struggling to score and the other team is on a run against us bazz needs to slow it down run the offense and if nothings there drive and look to either dish it off to AD or kick out to JL. these should be his first two options but apparently he wants to go one on one like kemba used to do and he either puts up a bad shot or turns it over. if AD and JL are not options BAZZ should then look for the shot. jm2c.

Reaction Score
Really genius? It just so happens rocket scientist that with 1:23 left in the game BAZZ drew the double and hit Boatright for the biggest 3 of the game putting UConn up 75-69. Any thoughts....? ummm ummm ummmm LOL

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
Really genius? It just so happens rocket scientist that with 1:23 left in the game BAZZ drew the double and hit Boatright for the biggest 3 of the game putting UConn up 75-69. Any thoughts....? ummm ummm ummmm LOL
You've done it now. Just try calling me a rocket scientist to my bespectacled face. Name the place and time, boyo - I'm thinking Cape Canaveral at 06:00

Reaction Score
when we are struggling to score and the other team is on a run against us bazz needs to slow it down run the offense and if nothings there drive and look to either dish it off to AD or kick out to JL. these should be his first two options but apparently he wants to go one on one like kemba used to do and he either puts up a bad shot or turns it over. if AD and JL are not options BAZZ should then look for the shot. jm2c.
BAZZ & BLUEDOG and what the H throw in Boatright have this to say to you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=pq6LFrVU-Nc

Reaction Score

no need for insults. yes he hit boatright but were you watching the previous ten minutes of the game?

Reaction Score
no need for insults. yes he hit boatright but were you watching the previous ten minutes of the game?
His point is that whatever lesson you think he needs to learn ? He seems to have already learned that lesson with 1:23 to go in the game. Making this thread unnecessary.

And yet, here it is...

Reaction Score
Thread is not unnecessary if he feels he needs to post it. Some threads are off the charts ,don't believe this one is. Don't need to get your panties in a bunch BlueDog. Woof, Woof.

Reaction Score
Shabazz was doing too much passing during that stretch in the 2nd half where Fairfield made their run. There was one play in particular where he went one on one and threw up a bad shot but I'm not really sure what game you were watching where you saw Bazz going one on one. His scoring in the 1st half was coming in the flow of the offense. Not sure how Bazz gets all the criticism levied at him while Jeremy disappears for large stretches and there is not much said about that. 2nd time now where the team has given up a large lead in the 2nd half to an inferior opponent and Jeremy pretty much goes MIA while its happening. Those 7/9 shooting performances look nice and are very effecient, but he could be more aggressive to look for his offense to try to help stem the tide against those type of runs from the opposition.

Reaction Score
His point is that whatever lesson you think he needs to learn ? He seems to have already learned that lesson with 1:23 to go in the game. Making this thread unnecessary.

And yet, here it is...

Do you really need to be reminded of the "Great pass he made to AD leading to a charge and JC screaming 'Why, Why, Why?'"

That should be reason enough for this thread.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
That dumb pass to AD wasn't a result of him playing one on one like the OP stated. It was a 3 on 2 and Bazz had an easy pullup and instead he opted to pass and put AD in a bad situation. He was being too unselfish and made a bad decision, he should've shot it.

Reaction Score
After what I thought was much improved half-court execution against HC, they seemed to take a small step back. Now part of that is due to playing a bigger and more athletic Fairfield team, but it seemed they were slow to get into their half-court sets and when they ran them they did a lot of standing around.

The team is a work in progress. Maybe Bazz, and Boat as well, need to get the other four to run the sets with more energy and precision and not do quite as much break-their-man-off-the-dribble attack.

Like it or not, that type of offensive attack is part of what JC wants. I'm sure he doesn't want quite as much of it, especially when it results in a lot of forced shots.

We have to keep in mind that this team is very young and a work in progress. Losing Kemba has put many of the players in new roles. Granted some are in the same or similar ones but have not quite picked up where they left off such as Roscoe & Alex, but they'll come around eventually. If Drummond does what he has the past two games against BE competition, then I'd say he's far a head of what I expected at this point.

Getting back to Bazz, his offensive game is far ahead of what I thought he'd be doing at this point. Hum...I knew he was capable of doing more offensively than he showed last season, but I didn't realize he was as good a scorer as he's showing. He just needs to develop more balance between when to light it up and when to get his teammates involved. He does need to start setting up his teammates and getting the team into their sets more often, but on the other hand, his teammates need to run their sets better and finish plays more often.

By the BET they'll be firing on all cylinders. But along the way they'll have some ugly stretches and some ugly games as they learn to put the pieces together.

Reaction Score
Boat was handling the ball and the offense wasa little stagnant. Read JC lips to Bazz, "I want the ball in your hands".

Reaction Score
Bazz is a young sophomore, are we expecting too much perfection for player that came out of HS early?

I hope people give him time, he's still learning and developing.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Shabazz was doing too much passing during that stretch in the 2nd half where Fairfield made their run. There was one play in particular where he went one on one and threw up a bad shot but I'm not really sure what game you were watching where you saw Bazz going one on one. His scoring in the 1st half was coming in the flow of the offense. Not sure how Bazz gets all the criticism levied at him while Jeremy disappears for large stretches and there is not much said about that. 2nd time now where the team has given up a large lead in the 2nd half to an inferior opponent and Jeremy pretty much goes MIA while its happening. Those 7/9 shooting performances look nice and are very effecient, but he could be more aggressive to look for his offense to try to help stem the tide against those type of runs from the opposition.
I have to totally agree with you. In fact Shabazz had an incredible game going until that play to Andre. And that wasn't a bonehead, hot dog or selfish play. He was trying to reward Andre for running down the court. Just as he looked back to see the trailing Andre and get Andre the ball, the Fairfield kid slid into place and took the charge. JC was the one out of line going beserk over this play and not Shabazz. In fact JC was over the top in this game. Probably p*ssed about his three game suspension and it bled through in his coaching imo. For example, that play JC went ape over and got the technical was definitely a no call.

After the Andre charge and JC screaming why and embarrassing a kid whose game had been incredible to that point, Shabazz decided to forgo running the team. I don't blame the kid. He didn't take shots, didn't pass the ball except to get it to Ryan. The result was Fairfield got back into the game.

Reaction Score
After the Andre charge and JC screaming why and embarrassing a kid whose game had been incredible to that point, Shabazz decided to forgo running the team. I don't blame the kid. He didn't take shots, didn't pass the ball except to get it to Ryan. The result was Fairfield got back into the game.

Agree with this except for the no blame part. Shabazz is our leader and has not been shy about advising other players to tune JC out when he gets overzealous. Practice what you preach.

Shabazz was brilliant much of the game, but I do think he lost his mental sharpness and that was a factor in Fairfield's comeback (credit to Fairfield too, they were excellent in the 2nd half). There was one play in particular in the middle of Fairfield's run - I think they had the lead down to 10 or 11 - where Shabazz passed up a wide open layup to make a horrible pass out to the top of the key. It was a "we're up 25" play in a situation where we needed a bucket to stem the tide. It's a few mental mistakes like this, offensive and defensive, that make the difference between maintaining a healthy margin and letting the other team get back into it.

Reaction Score

Fair points all around. One reason Bazz gets the criticism is because he's the point guard and, fair or not, it's a point guard's lot in life to be first in front of the firing squad.

As for Jeremy, we're going to need him to be a lot more aggressive in conference play. But I thought part of the problem last night was a structural issue. Jeremy spent most of the last 10 minutes helping to bring the ball up against the pressure and then migrating to a wing backcourt spot well behind the 3 point line. Fairfield's perimeter defenders had very quick hands and were playing very aggressively. Late in the game it was hard for even Bazz and Boat to dribble drive. So beyond the occasional spot up 3, I'm not sure what Jeremy was going to do for us out there. Would have liked to see a few set plays running JL off baseline screens.

Reaction Score
From Luke Winn's power rankings....

Meanwhile,
a recent study of the top eight BCS-conference assist leaders
(done by John Templon of NY Buckets) revealed that Shabazz Napier puts a higher percentage of his passes on a dunkable platter than any other top point guard. As of Dec. 16, an amazing 32.1 percent of Napier's assists had gone for dunks; the next-highest player in Templon's study was UNC's Kendall Marshall, at 16.7.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Agree with this except for the no blame part. Shabazz is our leader and has not been shy about advising other players to tune JC out when he gets overzealous. Practice what you preach.

Shabazz was brilliant much of the game, but I do think he lost his mental sharpness and that was a factor in Fairfield's comeback (credit to Fairfield too, they were excellent in the 2nd half). There was one play in particular in the middle of Fairfield's run - I think they had the lead down to 10 or 11 - where Shabazz passed up a wide open layup to make a horrible pass out to the top of the key. It was a "we're up 25" play in a situation where we needed a bucket to stem the tide. It's a few mental mistakes like this, offensive and defensive, that make the difference between maintaining a healthy margin and letting the other team get back into it.
Shabazz and Andre were the primary players responsible for the win against Fairfield. They were the primary players for getting the big lead.

People react differently under different circumstances. In the past when JC has yelled at Shabazz and pulled him out of a game, Shabazz usually would respond positively to JC's actions. He didn't yesterday and I believe it was for one reason. In the other circumstances JC had a legitimate complaint about Shabazz's play and Shabazz felt JC's actions were justified. In yesterday's game there was no justification for JC's reaction. The degree of the reaction was embarrassing to Shabazz who was already feeling badly about Andre being hurt.

It is easy to put something aside when we are not the focus of the situation. When we're the ones in which anger is directed it is hard to put it aside even when we want to put it aside. And I got the feeling Shabazz didn't want to put it aside because in his mind JC had gone past a boundary that was wrong for a coach.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
JL/AD should be touching the ball every possession. Bazz/Boat should be the 3rd scoring options because some of those shots they forced up were horrendous. I understand AO's comments about selfishness.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The assist to turnovers by the pg was 10/3. Can't ask much more from the point guards.

Five players took 7 or more shots and no one took more than 10 shots. This is an excellent distribution regarding shooting. This is definitely a big difference from last season in which had one player took 30% or more of shots most games.

The comment by AO was what I expect from someone who is frustrated with his playing and is tired of blaming himself. Alex had seven good opportunities to score in yesterday's game and only converted on two. I actually thought he and Andre played well together and if Alex could consistently make the 10 to 15 footer there is no team in the country that could beat UConn. Unfortunately he can't.

The coaching staff is working on getting the bigs to score. Plays are being set up for Alex, Andre and Tyler at the expense of Jeremy for now.

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
The assist to turnovers by the pg was 10/3. Can't ask much more from the point guards.

Five players took 7 or more shots and no one took more than 10 shots. This is an excellent distribution regarding shooting. This is definitely a big difference from last season in which had one player took 30% or more of shots most games.

The comment by AO was what I expect from someone who is frustrated with his playing and is tired of blaming himself. Alex had seven good opportunities to score in yesterday's game and only converted on two. I actually thought he and Andre played well together and if Alex could consistently make the 10 to 15 footer there is no team in the country that could beat UConn. Unfortunately he can't.

The coaching staff is working on getting the bigs to score. Plays are being set up for Alex, Andre and Tyler at the expense of Jeremy for now.

Against Fairfield it should have been 15/3, at least. Oh, and the 6-7 bad/awkward/forced shots between Boat/Bazz are TO's in my book.

Reaction Score
Against Fairfield it should have been 15/3, at least. Oh, and the 6-7 bad/awkward/forced shots between Boat/Bazz are TO's in my book.

It's too bad no one cares what's in your "book"

Point me to the bevy of PG's strewn about the NCAA that are better than Shabazz, which lend credence to your complaints. Who'd be playing better right now? Three guys maybe?

hungry husky

Currently Hungry
Reaction Score
It's too bad no one cares what's in your "book"

Point me to the bevy of PG's strewn about the NCAA that are better than Shabazz, which lend credence to your complaints. Who'd be playing better right now? Three guys maybe?

I didn't say he was playing poorly, but his decision making is questionable at times. He shouldn't be leading the team in scoring on a given night. I like Holy Cross Shabazz better.

Calhoun explicitly stated that Lamb was the guy, so IMHO he should be getting 5-7 more shots up a night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom