OT: What are some of your favorite scenic Fall drives ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What are some of your favorite scenic Fall drives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I for one love the Mohawk Trail in northern Mass, the elevation changes afford spectacular views.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_Trail
Another just north is The Molly Stark Trail in southern VT.
http://www.thisisvermont.com/TIV/the-molly-stark-trail-scenic-byway/
22 & 22a mentioned above are calender scenes from Harley Davidson as they meander through farming country with a good view ahead and senary on both sides of the road. NY to the left and VT to the right, that if you are heading north of course.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
For a variety of reasons Fall is hands down my favorite season of the year, and October is my favorite month. One of the reason is taking drives around the region to admire the beautiful fall foliage.

So what are some of the drives you like to take? Ever since i was a kid... I've always wanted to check out Vermont in October.... and especially ride up Route 100.

Ditto. Always. Vermont.

I remember a number of years ago, I was living in Atlanta and in mid-October, I had to take a business trip to Boston and I was just loving the colors. I was inspired to arrange a trip to Vermont the next year.

The next year, we were in the process of moving. The following year, I was pregnant. The year after that I had a young infant. The year after that, we moved to Iowa. And so... it hasn't happened. I know Iowa has some nice colors but I haven't made it out to view any because we're just so busy through Halloween. I think this upcoming weekend is my only free weekend for at least two months. (Mini Chick is starting basketball in November again and it's on the weekends.) :D:p:confused:

Reaction Score
Hubby and I just discovered a new one. ..Lake Tahoe, with early winter snow on the peaks! We drove from Oakland up to Tahoe city and, from there we went around the lake to South Lake Tahoe and stayed one night. Mountain top snow, golden aspens, crystal blue lake, just wow! My sister did all the driving in her little hybrid, love that girl! Great time, home tomorrow.

JS

Reaction Score
I like Connecticut's Northeast Corner in the fall.

Here's the covered bridge in West Cornwall, built circa 1864.

covered_bridge.jpg

And an autumn stroll in Litchfield . . .

061017_01004.jpg

Reaction Score
The 28 mile Park Loop Road, Acadia National Park, ME. Unlike most of the pine tree state, Mount Desert Island, where Acadia is located, has plenty of colorful deciduous trees. 125 miles of fabulous, accessible hiking and 50 miles of carriage roads just for horses, hikers and bicyclers- and then there is Bar Harbor, with some fab restaurants. Octoberfest in Southwest Harbor is Columbus Day weekend-dozens of New England craft brewers. My favorite place on earth.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
O my......
fall has always been my favorite season, I remember loving the leaves turning color as far back as I can remember, back to a tiny girl. I know that some folks wax warmly about the change of colors in Central Park, but I am telling you, there is NOTHING like a New England Autumn....I miss it so....

I was in Vail, Co for the Aspens....the entire bowl was gilded in yellows and gold - it was amazing.
But New England has it beat.

Reaction Score
For what it is worth. Pick up route 7 in New Milford, Connecticut and start driving north. Along the route is antique shops, used bookstore, and farmstands, Stop off places include Kent Falls (spectacular in the Fall), Cornwall Bridge, as well as a few other covered bridges and the nicest part of the Housatonic River. If you make it up to Mass, you can make a stop at the Norman Rockwell Museum . Read this article for more info and a reference book.

http://www.newstimes.com/opinion/article/The-other-Route-7-offers-visitors-wondrous-589254.php

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Ditto. Always. Vermont.

I remember a number of years ago, I was living in Atlanta and in mid-October, I had to take a business trip to Boston and I was just loving the colors. I was inspired to arrange a trip to Vermont the next year.

The next year, we were in the process of moving. The following year, I was pregnant. The year after that I had a young infant. The year after that, we moved to Iowa. And so... it hasn't happened. I know Iowa has some nice colors but I haven't made it out to view any because we're just so busy through Halloween. I think this upcoming weekend is my only free weekend for at least two months. (Mini Chick is starting basketball in November again and it's on the weekends.) :D:p:confused:

Any new pix of mini-chick?? Hope all is well in the heartland!

Reaction Score
Here in the northeast, US Route 202. Someone mentioned Tahoe from the Cali side, that is very dramatic.

Reaction Score
Skyline Drive in Virginia. We were on the Trike a few weeks ago, and had a huge black Bear cross the road about 30 yards in front of us. We just pulled off to the side and watched it as it ambled along, and away.

~*Jen*~

Reaction Score
Any new pix of mini-chick?? Hope all is well in the heartland!

Thank you! Life is pretty good! :)

PS, this post replied before I was finished with it so I just deleted and started over again. And I've *always* got pictures of her. :)

Here she is making meatballs.

10592729_10102103435465351_1305582827263228323_n.jpg

And here she is at a recent barn dance (at the library). :)

10702228_10102158310011321_2849258090294882391_n.jpg

There's always something interesting and fun to do around here. <3

Reaction Score
For a real assault on the senses in New England, on a bright sunny fall day around noon, get out of the car and take a walk in the woods among the maples, oaks, hickory, walnut, ash, sycamore, etc. The color will saturate the air. It will overwhelm and become part of you. Your spirit will be rejuvenated, and the memory will last a life-time.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Jen - Mini-Chick is getting so tall! And multi-talented, as we can see(adorable goes with out saying...)! In my I-ow-ay City related news my oldest nephew ( 10) has taken up the saxophone and cut his hair short. I am not sure why for either, but he looks great and loves his music lessons! Happy b-ball for all of you!

~*Jen*~

Reaction Score
Jen - Mini-Chick is getting so tall! And multi-talented, as we can see(adorable goes with out saying...)! In my I-ow-ay City related news my oldest nephew ( 10) has taken up the saxophone and cut his hair short. I am not sure why for either, but he looks great and loves his music lessons! Happy b-ball for all of you!

Thank you! :) She's pretty tall. She's also pretty mature so most people think she's at least 5. We're just really enjoying life right now.

That's great that your nephew is doing so well. :D

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Vermont is just lovely, and I'm with BoontonBomber with the various towns and villages being so special in the fall.

For many years - probably 15 at least - my wife and I would head up to Chester, Vermont for at least 3 days every year in the first couple of week's of October. We did the leaf peeping thing, and as drivers, we drove all over Vermont (and into New Hampshire) seeing the sights and colors of the fall.

Keene, NH has a huge Pumpkin Festival which we went to twice; the last few years that we went we were late color as we went for our October 24th wedding anniversary.

Tried to capture the same feeling out here, going to Pinetop-Lakeside here in AZ our first (2011) anniversary out here. The color was so different, but we hit a few spectacular roads with the Aspens, etc. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get back (in 2012 we were in Hawai'i for our 25th so I'm not complaining) and we won't be able to this year as my Mom that lives with us - while really, really good for 95 years old - can't honestly be left alone for more than about 12 hours. Oh, well, someday we will see some fall color again.

Reaction Score
1320ft of ATCO Raceway.

Nothing like fall air for making power at a track rental.:D

Attachments

• 10410403_709590269129242_2898540198207830018_n.jpg
    10410403_709590269129242_2898540198207830018_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 82
Reaction Score
Vermont is just lovely, and I'm with BoontonBomber with the various towns and villages being so special in the fall.

For many years - probably 15 at least - my wife and I would head up to Chester, Vermont for at least 3 days every year in the first couple of week's of October. We did the leaf peeping thing, and as drivers, we drove all over Vermont (and into New Hampshire) seeing the sights and colors of the fall.

Keene, NH has a huge Pumpkin Festival which we went to twice; the last few years that we went we were late color as we went for our October 24th wedding anniversary.

Tried to capture the same feeling out here, going to Pinetop-Lakeside here in AZ our first (2011) anniversary out here. The color was so different, but we hit a few spectacular roads with the Aspens, etc. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to get back (in 2012 we were in Hawai'i for our 25th so I'm not complaining) and we won't be able to this year as my Mom that lives with us - while really, really good for 95 years old - can't honestly be left alone for more than about 12 hours. Oh, well, someday we will see some fall color again.

Drove thru Chester yesterday heading up to Ludlow and Okemo. I should have included it when mentioning the towns and villages. Vermont is really at peak right now. It will still be here when you're able to get back.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
For a real assault on the senses in New England, on a bright sunny fall day around noon, get out of the car and take a walk in the woods among the maples, oaks, hickory, walnut, ash, sycamore, etc. The color will saturate the air. It will overwhelm and become part of you. Your spirit will be rejuvenated, and the memory will last a life-time.
As I get older, I really appreciate "leaf-peeping" on a cloudy day, sometimes downright damp. Sometimes, the softer light allows nuances in the color to jump out, when bright sunshine seems to bleach 'em a bit. You're right, when you're walking in the woods, under the canopy, it's tough to beat a sunny mid-day. But, for a drive-through, give a grey day a try!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Drove thru Chester yesterday heading up to Ludlow and Okemo. I should have included it when mentioning the towns and villages. Vermont is really at peak right now. It will still be here when you're able to get back.

We came thru Chester about 10 days ago on our way home from Vergennes...not much color then, but I bet it is lovely now. A great little town with a super bookstore. Love the big farmstand on 103 on the north end. We love driving across the state on 103. Hardly ever any real traffic.

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I am kind of fond of the entire Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway that leads you to Deals Gap. But for a scenic fall drive try Icefield Parkway in Alberta.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When you aren't looking for cops on the median, Route 2 (both East and West) south of the Route 11 split has some nice color. I drive it at least 5 times a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom