OT: What are some of your favorite scenic Fall drives ? | The Boneyard

OT: What are some of your favorite scenic Fall drives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
For a variety of reasons Fall is hands down my favorite season of the year, and October is my favorite month. One of the reason is taking drives around the region to admire the beautiful fall foliage.

So what are some of the drives you like to take? Ever since i was a kid... I've always wanted to check out Vermont in October.... and especially ride up Route 100.

Reaction Score
Ouray & Telluride, CO. Green down in the valley, then red/orange/yellow aspens a little higher up, then dark green pine, then red above the timber line, and finally white snow at the top. You see it all in the same view - awesome!

Reaction Score
bumpy-road-e1267642744159.jpg

Highway 17 in South Carolina

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Guanella Pass about two hours west of Denver. Just beautiful view of the Aspen trees at almost 12,000 feet in elevation.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
bumpy-road-e1267642744159.jpg

Highway 17 in South Carolina

Check out Highway 11 sometime, the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway. Congaree National Park just outside Columbia is pretty awesome, too.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For a variety of reasons Fall is hands down my favorite season of the year, and October is my favorite month. One of the reason is taking drives around the region to admire the beautiful fall foliage.

So what are some of the drives you like to take? Ever since i was a kid... I've always wanted to check out Vermont in October.... and especially ride up Route 100.

I've been fortunate to experience peak color in the northeast (Vermont, New Hampshire, CT) a couple of times and I've never seen such beauty.

Reaction Score
I also remember going through the Rockies in the fall on the Union Pacific Railroad, between Los Angeles and Omaha. We lived in the LA area and my maternal grandparents were in Omaha. Since my father worked for Union Pacific, we got free or greatly reduced travel in a pullman (sleeper). I remember being in the domed lounge cars and the dining cars, watching the fall foliage roll past. Of all the memories of my childhood, riding the train to visit my grandparents with my Daddy are right there at the top.

1 Cori and Dad Ralph.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I also remember going through the Rockies in the fall on the Union Pacific Railroad, between Los Angeles and Omaha. We lived in the LA area and my maternal grandparents were in Omaha. Since my father worked for Union Pacific, we got free or greatly reduced travel in a pullman (sleeper). I remember being in the domed lounge cars and the dining cars, watching the fall foliage roll past. Of all the memories of my childhood, riding the train to visit my grandparents with my Daddy are right there at the top.

View attachment 7021

Great memory. Thanks for sharing.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A little OT:
but the sail from Great Sale Key in the Bahamas passing through the Abacos down to Green Turtle is pretty amazing.
Hope to do it next month.

Reaction Score
Route 100 is wonderful, but there's another that took my breath away like no other. Maybe 10 years ago, I was driving from Fryeburg, Maine to North Conway, NH on Route 302. It was the stretch between Fryeburg and Conway, and the foliage -- whole walls of it -- was absolutely brilliant oranges and reds. unforgettable.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We often drive up the Taconic Parkway in NY and there are even a couple of those "scenic view" spot along this lovely road.

Our own Merritt Parkway (only highway on the National Registry of Historic Places) is also lovely in spring and fall.

Reaction Score
We often drive up the Taconic Parkway in NY and there are even a couple of those "scenic view" spot along this lovely road.

Our own Merritt Parkway (only highway on the National Registry of Historic Places) is also lovely in spring and fall.
Forgot about the Merritt (been a while since I lived in CT). Spectacular! And Sawmill very similar - a little more quaint.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Forgot about the Merritt (been a while since I lived in CT). Spectacular! And Sawmill very similar - a little more quaint.

Permit an extra comment about the Merritt. All of its bridges and overpasses (about 69, IIRC) are unique, different from all others. So when you are not admiring God's gift of beautiful foliage, enjoy the array of interesting bridges and overpasses left to us by a fellow named Dunkelberger.

Reaction Score
Permit an extra comment about the Merritt. All of its bridges and overpasses (about 69, IIRC) are unique, different from all others. So when you are not admiring God's gift of beautiful foliage, enjoy the array of interesting bridges and overpasses left to us by a fellow named Dunkelberger.
Oh man - I miss it. Need to get back. When is fall? That's basketball season, right?

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
The Blue Ridge Parkway (but it doesn't need fall color to be spectacularly beautiful). Start from the James River on I-81 near Buchanan and take route 43 to the Parkway.

U.S. Route 666 from Eagar to Morenci down the east side of Arizona through the White Mountains and Sitgreaves National Forest. The last few miles is actually about the stupendous hole in the ground that is the Morenci copper pit mine and is as sad as it is awe-inspiring. Can you believe they gave a national highway the Number of the Beast?

Pretty much the entire length of I-87 from Mahwah north, though you take the 787 loop on the river side of Albany rather than the main road.

And I heartily endorse the nomination of the Merritt Parkway.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
New England in the fall is just full of "stop and breathe in the colors" moments. I had one of those driving across PA once (went from Boston to Iowa City)... there was this curve in the highway and it opened up into a huge, colorful bowl of leaves... You could feel everyone on the road just slow down a tad....

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Vermont 100 is always a great choice, but to get off the beaten path a bit, take 100 to 103 and run the ridges, turn on to route 7 and then take a left on 4, which heads west in NY state. The colors are usually awesome.
Then you can take a right on to 22A, and head across the Great Ledge and down into the Champlain Valley. Whoa, Green Mountains to the right, Champlain Valley down below, the Adirondacks off to the left. Lovely, lovely. You can keep on to Burlington by picking up 7 in Vergennes, or turn off on to 125 and go across the Valley to the Bridge to NY state.
One of my favorites (can you tell??)
PS -when I was young and living in Chicago, my parents would take us on the Burlington Northern from Chicago to Minneapolis to visit my brother and his family. The dome/parlor car up the Mississippi is one of my favorite early travel memories.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Having grown up in New England and upstate NY I took the annual blaze of color for granted as a youngster. I had that vividly illustrated to me by the report of a fellow law student on a fall Monday. He told me he and his wife (both born and raised in Arizona and new to New England) had done a fall foliage ride that weekend. As they got into the "good stuff" his wife broke down and appeared to cry inconsolably. When he could finally get anything out of her it was: "It's so beautiful." She continued to break into tears as their drive continued, muttering: "I never knew." Fall in New England. Magnificent.

Reaction Score

We live not far from the VT. border, and regularly drive Rts. 100, 112, 35, and 30.It is spectacular country any time of the year, and especially this week and next. Villages like Grafton ,Townsend, and Newfane , and , further north, Woodstock and Quechee are favorite get-aways, quintessential New England villages. Played golf at Manchester Country Club last week, and playing at Okemo Valley tomorrow, and the scenery is so wonderful that you can almost forget about how badly you're hacking up the course.

Reaction Score
Another vote for the Blue Ridge Parkway. The area around Blowing Rock, NC is just spectacular is late Oct. Take a walk around Julian Price Lake, and motor south to Ashville. The mountains will hug you as you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom