OT: What anti-virus program(s) do you use? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: What anti-virus program(s) do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Irish Loop said:
Mac Virus Lets Hackers Control Thousands Of Computers, Through Reddit The more popular Macs become, the more likely they will be to be compromised. One of the biggest reasons PC's are so much more targeted is their proliferation, especially in corporations.

This ^^ the notion over the last decade that " macs don't get viruses is/was laughable"

It was simply that they compromised less than 5 percent of machines attached to Internet. Thus were not a worthy target.

Reaction Score
Eh I'd just use Microsoft Security Essentials. Works s seamlessly with Windows and does just as good a job as anything else. Free and easy.

Occasional scan with Malware Bytes and you are good.
I use MSE too but have a Windows 7 system. I understand it doesn't work with 8.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
This ^^ the notion over the last decade that " macs don't get viruses is/was laughable"

It was simply that they compromised less than 5 percent of machines attached to Internet. Thus were not a worthy target.

Just look at the Fappening. It may not have been hardware, but still, it's all your data. Just evidence of imperfect security (for every company). Not necessarily a knock on Apple per se, it's just the reality of a completely networked global system.

Many Mac users, because they are so simple to use, are completely oblivious to the fact that their computer is susceptible to viruses. Now that macs are ubiquitous, and those who buy them tend to be well heeled, they are targets.

Just telling your what you already know.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You are playing with fire if that's all you're doing. I was very conscious about it during my years of using PCs and never had any issues. When I switched to Mac a couple of years ago it was when tons of them got infected by the virus that Apple finally had to release a fix. I had my credit card information stolen and someone tried to make a purchase with a copy of one of my cards (thankfully Amex caught it). Needless to say, it's quite an annoyance having to get all new credit and bank cards as well as changing all important passwords. The days of Macs being totally secure are long gone and you should still have a security software to supplement.

Identity theft in general is a nightmare. I had to deal with one internationally and it's still biting me in the arse 5 yrs later.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I use MSE too but have a Windows 7 system. I understand it doesn't work with 8.

Yep, that was a good call from people on this thread. I don't use Win8 because from testing it, I think it sucks. So I was in the dark about MSE compatibility. Will wait for the next iteration of Windows. That seems to be their pattern. Put out a good OS, then a one, then a good one, then a one...and so on.

Reaction Score
Used Avast a while back then AVG and I was just never happy browser would run sluggish, change homepage even take forever to load up I would run "HiJackThis" and find all these trojans that were'nt even noticed by these antivirus. Anyways, switched to MSE 3-4 years ago and I've had no problems ever since love the fact that it has real time protection.
I use CCleaner and AVG. I don't have issues, but I'm not a gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom