What about our academics? | The Boneyard

What about our academics?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I think I’m the only one to bring up the academic issue. My apologies if I’m wrong about that.

Our academic brand has skyrocketed the last 20-25 years. I believe that’s due to: 1) the state’s huge investment, 2) four men’s nc’s and about a dozen women’s nc’s in BB, and 3) having a credible FBS FB program.

The state has a budget crisis (I’d love to get into the politics of that, but I’ll show some restraint). The funding to UConn has slowed and this has already hurt us. The drop in funding caused us to go down in the most recent US News rankings. SMU and a half dozen other schools passed us.

And now we’ve de-emphasized football. We knowingly took our program from a borderline power conference to irrelevance.

Two of the three legs supporting academic growth have disappeared. Even if the BB program does well, that’s just 1/3 of the “success” equation. I fear the number of student applications will fall, resulting in lower incoming class SAT averages. It will begin a downward spiral leaving us roughly equivalent to the other New England flagship schools.

Try to talk me off the ledge.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'm not sure you guys giving credit to FB for UConn's rise in academic standing know the difference between causation and correlation.
As stated above, I believe quality students were attracted to UConn because of the state’s huge investment, BB nc’s, and a FB team that went to bowls. If those things dry up, we are the University of New Hampshire.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As stated above, I believe quality students were attracted to UConn because of the state’s huge investment, BB nc’s, and a FB team that went to bowls. If those things dry up, we are the University of New Hampshire.
So students were attracted to UConn because of football, but didn't show up at the games?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you stopped after BB nc's you would have been more accurate.

Reaction Score
Yes the basketball championships increased exposure for the school in the early 2000’s. The recent trend has less to do with athletic success in my opinion, and more to do with the trend of Young people gravitating to urban areas. Storrs is in the middle of nowhere and isn’t even a good college town. Taking away enjoyble traditions like spring weekend and having a state police presence around the school the size of an army doesn’t help either.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
So students were attracted to UConn because of football, but didn't show up at the games?
With a big time FB program, we’re in a conversation with Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, Tennessee, Oregon, Missouri, etc.

By moving to the Big East, we’re in a conversation with Villanova, St. John’s, Gonzaga, Creighton, UMass, NMSU, etc.

Big difference. I think it matters.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Someone in one of these threads mentioned "deemphasizing football puts us in line with our goal of being a Public Ivy. I didn't call them out directly but it was probably the dumbest of many dumb things said this weekend. Trying to be like an Ivy athletically is the furthest thing from being a "Public Ivy." 21/29 of these schools play in a Power 5 conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With a big time FB program, we’re in a conversation with Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, Tennessee, Oregon, Missouri, etc.
Those teams aren't in the AAC. UConn was a Top 2 school in the AAC.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

By moving to the Big East, we’re in a conversation with Villanova, St. John’s, Gonzaga, Creighton, UMass, NMSU, etc.

Big difference. I think it matters.
better than being in a conversation with Tulsa, Houston, ECU (really... East Carolina University). Temple and Tulane the only bankable academic brands in the AAC, and only Tulane in a day's drive.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
better than being in a conversation with Tulsa, Houston, ECU (really... East Carolina University). Temple and Tulane the only bankable academic brands in the AAC, and only Tulane in a day's drive.
SMU Is ranked ahead of UConn academically, although it’s fairly close.

Reaction Score
UConn just accepted its most talent class ever each of the last 5 years. Relax.

Reaction Score
My view is that the AAC was hurting our academic profile, sorry. I do not want to disparage the schools in the AAC but they are not state flagship schools like UConn.

I do agree the basketball success fueled UConn's rise in academic rank. We were at risk of losing that given our horrible performance in the AAC. I attribute that horrible performance to loss of traditional rivalries, apathy and unreasonable travel. The Big East move will do nothing but increase the chances we recover and return as a top 10 basketball brand, imo. This will only help academics not hurt. Losing to AAC schools was not helping.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
We're not behind SMU and Navy, I don't care what list you are using.
SMU has higher SAT scores than UConn. They're more selective in admitting students. U.S. News and many others have them ranked ahead of UConn.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
My view is that the AAC was hurting our academic profile, sorry. I do not want to disparage the schools in the AAC but they are not state flagship schools like UConn.

I do agree the basketball success fueled UConn's rise in academic rank. We were at risk of losing that given our horrible performance in the AAC. I attribute that horrible performance to loss of traditional rivalries, apathy and unreasonable travel. The Big East move will do nothing but increase the chances we recover and return as a top 10 basketball brand, imo. This will only help academics not hurt. Losing to AAC schools was not helping.
Are there flagships in the Big East? It seems Georgetown would be the only school clearly ahead of us in the Big East, which isn’t known for academics.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It seems Georgetown would be the only school clearly ahead of us in the Big East, which isn’t known for academics.
One name being bandied around as our AAC replacement is Marshall.

Reaction Score
Are there flagships in the Big East? It seems Georgetown would be the only school clearly ahead of us in the Big East, which isn’t known for academics.

Well, you got me there. I would rather be associated with the schools in the Big East but maybe that's just my perception and a Northeast bias. I don't see any connection with the AAC and the schools you cited though: Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, Tennessee, Oregon, Missouri. If we get an opportunity to join those schools, I am in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't see any connection with the AAC and the schools you cited though: Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, Tennessee, Oregon, Missouri. If we get an opportunity to join those schools, I am in.
Don't those schools play basketball?

Reaction Score
Villanova is a fine school and only getting better with their recent basketball success. Marquette is top 100 per US News.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Well, you got me there. I would rather be associated with the schools in the Big East but maybe that's just my perception and a Northeast bias. I don't see any connection with the AAC and the schools you cited though: Michigan, Indiana, Virginia, Tennessee, Oregon, Missouri. If we get an opportunity to join those schools, I am in.
Many of those state schools are public Ivy’s.

Reaction Score
Many of those state schools are public Ivy’s.

I don't see the connection to the AAC. I can't agree that somehow we are viewed as affiliated with those schools because we were in the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom