What about Balis? | The Boneyard

What about Balis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Does the strength Coach return? What was the guy's name Randy took to Maryland that players used to joke was Donald Brown's dad?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I am not worried about any assistant coach that has been involved in UCONN football for the last three years.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
I would take Poindexter back as a DB coach. Until the ECU game, I thought his coaching and schemes were respectable (singlehandedly won us the UVA and Cincy games by clogging up the short passing game). He isn't worth retaining as a DC, our defense as a whole was too conservative, but considering his prior role as an assistant coach at a p5 school and borderline competence as a DC, I would not shudder at his return.

No to everyone else. They could not recruit nor develop.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't we be concerned about how we were able to 'pry' Balis away from SEC country. Seems a little suspect in retrospect

Reaction Score
I would take Poindexter back as a DB coach. Until the ECU game, I thought his coaching and schemes were respectable (singlehandedly won us the UVA and Cincy games by clogging up the short passing game). He isn't worth retaining as a DC, our defense as a whole was too conservative, but considering his prior role as an assistant coach at a p5 school and borderline competence as a DC, I would not shudder at his return.

No to everyone else. They could not recruit nor develop.
Pretty sure I saw on twitter he's headed to Purdue.

Reaction Score
Shouldn't we be concerned about how we were able to 'pry' Balis away from SEC country. Seems a little suspect in retrospect
Lol, I guess. Miss State fans were not happy to lose him, but yeah in hindsight...just remember the board being all giddy when he came here.

But what was the name of the guy Randy took to umd? He was the assistant here.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I saw on twitter he's headed to Purdue.
Good for him. Was there anything about this defense (if it wasn't controlled by Diaco) that we liked?

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Drew Wilson?

Edit: Yup, Drew Wilson. Now at Colorado University as S&C coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Until I read he had young, starting school-age kids. Education: Glastonbury or Mississippi?

Reaction Score
So let's look at this from a different perspective. Maybe Balis has changed their bodies and built big strong athletes. He's delivered his product with the student athletes he's in charge of, it has been the coaching staff that has dropped the ball (or weight) and led to the programs downward trend.

As I watch the video weyuo posted above me, at the tail end when Balis is being interviewed, I see nothing of what the players describe him as. Intense. Maybe it's just the face on interview experience but he doesn't even seem to be happy.

Reaction Score
I think it is difficult to judge him since actual on field coaching was awful. But I think the S&C coaches get too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly.
Also if they aren't miserable jerks who you hate they probably aren't very good.

Reaction Score
I think it is difficult to judge him since actual on field coaching was awful. But I think the S&C coaches get too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go poorly.
Also if they aren't miserable jerks who you hate they probably aren't very good.
Things went bad. And they have gotten no negative, to the degree anyway, that the coaching staff did (former has/had received). They built bodies and changed body compositions. Roster updates with heights and weights show that. It just hasn't translated on the field as expected.

Reaction Score
Things went bad. And they have gotten no negative, to the degree anyway, that the coaching staff did (former has/had received). They built bodies and changed body compositions. Roster updates with heights and weights show that. It just hasn't translated on the field as expected.

They added weight and muscle, but did they lose quickness, or were they slow to begin with?

Reaction Score
They added weight and muscle, but did they lose quickness, or were they slow to begin with?
If you slim down bad weight and add muscle, I would expect more quickness. Another question to ask, and you alluded to this, if you don't have quickness to begin with, can you create any?

Reaction Score
They were slow and not explosive....You need to be explosive especially ol and dl off the snap, they all lacked that. Sure coaching effects that, but the weight room does too. Conditioning wise.....They looked tired a lot as well

Reaction Score
If you slim down bad weight and add muscle, I would expect more quickness. Another question to ask, and you alluded to this, if you don't have quickness to begin with, can you create any?
That is what plyometrics is for. Answer is yes.

Reaction Score
Who cares about Balis, clearly he didn't do enough...Players lacked explosiveness and got pushed around all season.

Yea, as someone I bumped into mentioned. Did they use spray on muscles just to look good. The Viking and captain at right tackle got pushed backward all year. Bring on someone else pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom