What a Year | The Boneyard

What a Year

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Incredibly, Stewie's accomplishments weren't enough to be a finalist for AP Female Athlete of the year (awarded to Serena). AP women's basketball player of the year went to Ogunbowale.

Doug Feinberg, who covers women's basketball for the AP disagreed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1546105873552.png

Just had to do it again to get the #24 taste out of my mouth.

Question: What does Stewie do for an encore?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the awards for Serena and Ogunbowle are indicative of just how little the folks who vote on these things actually follow Women’s sports. Serena was a story after having a child, and her meltdown at the US Open garnered widespread media coverage. Ogunbowle’s two buzzer beaters and subsequent stint on DWS also resulted in substantial media coverage.

All that Stewie did was to win everything in sight, the same thing she’s been doing her entire career in basketball.....Ho hum......

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Serena won nothing and Breanna won everything. Yet, Serena is the "Athlete of the Year" and Breanna doesn't make top 5.

Just reinforces that besides the NCAA tournament, the majority of the media does not care about women's basketball whatsoever.

And that this award is totally narrative-driven. So Serena's childbirth and recovery from the associated complications outweighs actual athletic accomplishments.

Silver lining - there will be many more years for Breanna to contest for this and other awards. I think she's tracking for a GOAT career. I'd be shocked if she wins just one WNBA championship or MVP award.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Serena won nothing and Breanna won everything. Yet, Serena is the "Athlete of the Year" and Breanna doesn't make top 5.

And that this award is totally narrative-driven. So Serena's childbirth and recovery from the associated complications outweighs actual athletic accomplishments.
Maybe Serena's topless rendition of I Touch Myself (for breast cancer awareness) pushed her over the top...

Reaction Score
Had Breanna won, MM would say she thinks Ogunbowle deserves more than the person she had blocked on Twitter.
Unfortunately, the awards for Serena and Ogunbowle are indicative of just how little the folks who vote on these things actually follow Women’s sports. Serena was a story after having a child, and her meltdown at the US Open garnered widespread media coverage. Ogunbowle’s two buzzer beaters and subsequent stint on DWS also resulted in substantial media coverage.

All that Stewie did was to win everything in sight, the same thing she’s been doing her entire career in basketball.....Ho hum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom