What a difference a year makes | The Boneyard

What a difference a year makes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
In the frenzy of statements about seedings and brackets and likely FF teams, it's always interesting to go back and see what was happening last year for any clues about what to expect going forward. Last year around this time the name and logo for the new American Athletic Conference had been revealed and caused many upset stomachs, the faith in the Huskies' chances in the tourney was at probably a low point with certain veteran posters here echoing MikeD's highly negative viewpoint, the question of whether anyone could beat Baylor was being debated with truly lackluster effort, for the first time ever it appeared that the previous year's #1 seeds would repeat as #1 selections, and there was a thread on A'ja Wilson. So yeah, everything is different now.

The following selection thread was notable for a couple of reasons. One was this gem of a statement, "Baylor has a ridiculously easy bracket," by a BYer, which was followed by ett's tongue-in-cheek rejoinder that completely jinx-killed the Bears' chances for a repeat championship, especially when later following it up with "I don't think Baylor will have a game closer than 20 points leading into the championship game." Texas A&M was cited in the selection thread and other threads as a feared team for the top teams in their bracket, but the Aggies were disposed of in the second round. The selection thread was also noticeable for the complete lack of mention of a team called Louisville who got a #5 seed. Clearly the Cards were not a team to worry about.

And even if many Husky fans were not feeling confident of the Husky chances for #8, Doug Feinberg really liked the odds. A thread on first round upset predictions showed that BYers should not take up gambling as Delaware and Iowa State were the favorites to go down. And the Prez was being thanked for a mojo boost for picking ND over UConn in the semis.

I like the mood this year much better, but it never pays to be overconfident or think that you really have much of a clue about just about anything.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hey - no fair! This is the internet and anything posted five minutes ago is discounted as terribly out of date! I deny anything I posted a month ago, let alone 12 months ago. And they must have deleted all the sarcasm, and only joking, and isn't this crazy emoticons, because I know I never said any of those things with a straight face!
(I demand a recount, obviously auto-correct was playing tricks, my identity has been stolen, I misspoke, etc. etc.)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Hey - no fair! This is the internet and anything posted five minutes ago is discounted as terribly out of date! I deny anything I posted a month ago, let alone 12 months ago. And they must have deleted all the sarcasm, and only joking, and isn't this crazy emoticons, because I know I never said any of those things with a straight face!
(I demand a recount, obviously auto-correct was playing tricks, my identity has been stolen, I misspoke, etc. etc.)
I didn't want to mention either your prediction last month of a 101-99 squeaker for UConn in the AAC final or last year's guarantee that UConn would take out Prairie View in the NC game, because I knew that in both cases you were under the influence. And unlike Phil I don't need to blame my brother for any unfortunate posts since my brain has a good side and a bad side, though the good stuff always seems to come out of the bad side.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Only two sides? How BORing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads