What…no Death Storm thread? NM | Page 5 | The Boneyard

What…no Death Storm thread? NM

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know you know..... but $5.00 back then is equivalent to $42 today. But it's still crazy to see these conversions. Especially when looking at what those console TV's, initial VCR's and PC's cost way back when.... :eek:
Not to mention that the driveways in the homes built since then are a lot longer and more difficult to clear. Nobody is clearing my driveway with a "shovel". That would be at least a 4 hour job for one person on a day like yesterday.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
In the 50's and 60's , kids would constantly ring the bell to make money shoveling. I don't see this anymore.

I hire the landscaper who cuts my lawn, to do the snow plowing and shoveling. That deal should work anywhere, or maybe if you take care of your lawn yourself, you still could find a landscaper who would shovel and plow.

Nextdoor.com is a source to post for this service, or those doing plowing will post their services, and you can find them by entering "snow plowing" in the search bar.
Chicken or egg?

Do kids not shovel because people hire their landscaper, Or do homeowners hire their landscaper because kids don't shovel anymore?

Reaction Score
I remember doing my neighbor’s lawn for $5 in the late 60’s. I was 12 or 13, best thing about it was Marlene, a very cute girl in my class and in the neighborhood felt sorry for me and would come by and help me do the clipping and trimming.
that's what we called it back in those days.

Reaction Score
A quarter or fifty cents was a good payday back in the 60s.

Reaction Score
Chicken or egg?

Do kids not shovel because people hire their landscaper, Or do homeowners hire their landscaper because kids don't shovel anymore?
Landscapers were a rarity back in the 60’s, around my old neighborhood with 1/4 and 1/2 acre lots. Local kids doing the work just priced them out of the market. For the most part, back then young men in their 20’s didn’t want landscaping jobs anyway when they could get factory jobs that paid great, or looked at the military as an option, apprenticeships in the trades, etc.

Reaction Score
Landscapers were a rarity back in the 60’s, around my old neighborhood with 1/4 and 1/2 acre lots. Local kids doing the work just priced them out of the market. For the most part, back then young men in their 20’s didn’t want landscaping jobs anyway when they could get factory jobs that paid great, or looked at the military as an option, apprenticeships in the trades, etc.

Funny. Seems like every kid I graduated with in a small town who didn't want to go to college started a landscaping business. Circa 2008. Most are no longer landscaping--it's hard work.

Reaction Score
Yep, it's always been like this. It always seemed like Norfolk pronounced Nor-fork was the snowiest place in the state. They had years back in the day where they got 13-15 feet of snow.
The Icebox of Connecticut

Reaction Score
You walk your dogs? Lol. I just open the front door for mine.
So you just let your dog deficate and urinate on other people ‘s lawns. You are a great neighbor I am sure you will soon be awarded the Congressional Gold Medal for best neighbor of the century. Oh you need to purchase an electronic fence.

Reaction Score
Damn I'm old. I remember when it was $5 to shovel a driveway or mow a lawn.
Yup! I remember when my parents finally bought a single family home @ 1960 I got $5 from the next door lady for snow/lawn work. Other neighbors tried to pay me $3 but they were at the bottom of my list for being like chickadee birds— cheep cheep!

Reaction Score
Why are you assuming he doesn't have a fence? This is a hell of a take
We do have the fence which surrounds about 3.5 acres of grass that I mow myself. The fence guy must of used 150 flags when we trained them. The average lot size in our area is 2 acres up 7 or 8. We have two dogs, a chocolate Lab and a Landseer Newfoundland, both females.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
My first job was when I was almost 15 yrs old was landscaping. One of the older neighborhood kids gifted me the job by putting a good word in with the property owner. But it was not in my neighborhood it was about two or three miles away so I had the first find a ride or ride my bike. Every Saturday when I was 14 and 15 started at this guys house. He was fairly wealthy and liked golf which I also did so other than the $25 I got he always handed me down his older golf clubs. First two iron I ever got was from him. he could not hit it, I only used it off the tee when I was having trouble with the driver. But there were wedges and putters that followed. This was late 70’s so the price had gone up and he had a big yard with a big hill in his back yard. And edging was not completed with a power tool back then. It was a half moon spade and it was real work to get it done correctly.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Panama City, Fl got drilled today by tornadoes. That area is just finishing up the damage from Hurricane Michael's wrath in 2018.

Several tornadoes along Interstate 10 on the panhandle of Florida. Destin recorded an 89 mph wind gust.

Panama City Tornado Damage

Capture.JPG

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My dogs would revolt if I tried to walk them 5x a day, particularly in the cold. I have a pitbull and a rottweiler. They're both lazy gluttons if given the opportunity.
Black Lab mix (4 years) and a Lab/Sheppard/Mastiff mix (11 months). It used to be more when they were house training. We would go out every couple hours and in the middle of the night, if only just to the yard or down the street a couple houses.

The puppy didn't like walks at first, but we got him at 13 weeks and he was still unfamiliar with his new surroundings. He likes them now. Our older dog was a COVID puppy who we picked up a week before restrictions went into full effect. She's always loved walks and they were therapeutic for us, as my father was hit hard. To this day, she doesn't like doing her business in our yard, so we walk her.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom