What…no Death Storm thread? NM | Page 4 | The Boneyard

What…no Death Storm thread? NM

Reaction Score
Made it from Hoboken to Boston, took about 30 minutes longer than it should have been without weather. Maps kept me off 84 essentially the entire way, apparently there were closures. Only had to drive by one accident. Didn’t hit anything but clear roads until i was in MA then it got kinda slushy. Got diverted off the Pike to 20 for a bit, and that actually had the most snow/slush; but nothing crazy at all, especially for my Subaru. They definitely got snow from Worcester to Framingham.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Currently on a no lifting diet from the doc after an injury. Paid the neighbors kids 50 bucks to shovel my driveway. Well worth it. Snow is as heavy as it gets. About 5 inches here

Reaction Score
Damn I'm old. I remember when it was $5 to shovel a driveway or mow a lawn.
Can’t even find people to do it around my house. Not even guys to plow out the end of the driveway.

Reaction Score
No snow here in the city of New York. Just got back from a great 30 mile ride in Central Park. So glad it only rained

Reaction Score
I remember doing my neighbor’s lawn for $5 in the late 60’s. I was 12 or 13, best thing about it was Marlene, a very cute girl in my class and in the neighborhood felt sorry for me and would come by and help me do the clipping and trimming.

Reaction Score
Reading all this - glad I am far enough south and close enough to the shore so that I don't have to really worry about snow removal. In 4 years only 1 storm where I had to shovel at all.
Alot different than the 34 years I lived in Tolland.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Currently on a no lifting diet from the doc after an injury. Paid the neighbors kids 50 bucks to shovel my driveway. Well worth it. Snow is as heavy as it gets. About 5 inches here

I remember doing it for free for people.

I'm from the $10-$20 for a lawn and $10 a driveway era.

We had a couple of neighbors who were widowed or too old to do it and those got done for free.

I'll add this. It's not acceptable but expected that you shed a tear while holding a beer first time your kids mow your lawn or shovel the driveway. I'd be balling my brains out if I actually just got to sit around while I paid someone to do it for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No rest for the weary.

Round two coming everyone's way soon enough.

The exceptionally powerful storm is packing nearly every winter weather threat imaginable as it trails from the Southwest to the Northeast through midweek, including strong winds, possible tornadoes, serious flooding, snow and blizzard conditions.
By Monday afternoon, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama will be feeling the force of the storm. Tornadoes are especially likely across the region, and rainfall of 3 to 5 inches could lead to flooding.

On Tuesday, the same system is forecasted to head further east, where there is an enhanced risk of severe weather for cities like Tallahassee, Florida, Albany, Georgia, and Panama City, Florida, in the early morning and continuing into the afternoon.

Poor visibility and difficult-to-near-impossible driving conditions will set in for the central and southern Plains on Monday and the Midwest on Tuesday. Strong winds will also bring wind chill values below zero degrees for some locations in the Plains.

Heavy snowfall will then spread into the interior Northeast Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Snow and cold temperatures will not be the only concerns as the storm surges northeast, intensifies and expands its reach to much of the eastern half of the US into the middle of the week. Flooding, damaging winds and tornadoes are also a significant threat.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
No rest for the weary.

The exceptionally powerful storm is packing nearly every winter weather threat imaginable as it trails from the Southwest to the Northeast through midweek, including strong winds, possible tornadoes, serious flooding, snow and blizzard conditions.
By Monday afternoon, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama will be feeling the force of the storm. Tornadoes are especially likely across the region, and rainfall of 3 to 5 inches could lead to flooding.

On Tuesday, the same system is forecasted to head further east, where there is an enhanced risk of severe weather for cities like Tallahassee, Florida, Albany, Georgia, and Panama City, Florida, in the early morning and continuing into the afternoon.

Poor visibility and difficult-to-near-impossible driving conditions will set in for the central and southern Plains on Monday and the Midwest on Tuesday. Strong winds will also bring wind chill values below zero degrees for some locations in the Plains.

Heavy snowfall will then spread into the interior Northeast Tuesday afternoon and evening.

Snow and cold temperatures will not be the only concerns as the storm surges northeast, intensifies and expands its reach to much of the eastern half of the US into the middle of the week. Flooding, damaging winds and tornadoes are also a significant threat.

Yup the true death storm is tomorrow night when we get two inches on top of whatever snow you got. Keep an eye on your basement

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yup the true death storm is tomorrow night when we get two inches on top of whatever snow you got. Keep an eye on your basement

I'm a bit too far south for the snow and basements aren't a thing, but this is what the regional National Weather service has for me. I guess the good news is you don't have to shovel wind or rain. On the flip side, the northeast probably won't have tornado warnings. Locally the NWS has 8 weather warnings, statements or advisories over next 48 hours.

Description

...HIGH WIND WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 9 AM CST TUESDAY... ...WIND ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM TO 6 PM CST TUESDAY...

WHAT...For the High Wind Warning, south winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 60 mph expected. For the Wind Advisory, west winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 40 mph expected.

WHERE...In Alabama, Mobile Central, Baldwin Central, Mobile Coastal and Baldwin Coastal Counties. In Florida, Escambia Coastal, Santa Rosa Coastal and Okaloosa Coastal Counties.

WHEN...For the High Wind Warning, from 4 PM Monday to 9 AM CST Tuesday. For the Wind Advisory, from 9 AM to 6 PM CST Tuesday.

IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines. Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.

1704721149261.png

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No rest for the weary.

It's expected to just be rain where I live. Could certainly bring down some powerlines when combined with the snow already on the trees. We ended up with about 10" once the fluffy stuff came late yesterday. Glad to have the snowblower, but I wish I didn't need it.

Reaction Score
What I found interesting in the Litchfield hills, the difference in elevation of as little as 400 or 500 feet made a huge difference in the snow totals.
Yep, it's always been like this. It always seemed like Norfolk pronounced Nor-fork was the snowiest place in the state. They had years back in the day where they got 13-15 feet of snow.

Reaction Score
Memories:
Gotta say this reminds me of my old house on TC Circle before I moved out West. By the way, you didn’t buy this beautiful house in June 2021 by any chance??
LOL nope, been here for 9 years now. Over in the Firetown Rd. section of Simsbury...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
LOL nope, been here for 9 years now. Over in the Firetown Rd. section of Simsbury...
That's not far from where my parents lived off of Old Farms, snows a ton up there.

Reaction Score
I remember doing my neighbor’s lawn for $5 in the late 60’s. I was 12 or 13, best thing about it was Marlene, a very cute girl in my class and in the neighborhood felt sorry for me and would come by and help me do the clipping and trimming.
I know you know..... but $5.00 back then is equivalent to $42 today. But it's still crazy to see these conversions. Especially when looking at what those console TV's, initial VCR's and PC's cost way back when.... :eek:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Snowfall totals for every Connecticut town.

Saw it this morning. This list is not accurate is not accurate. For starters, It does not list every town. None of East Hampton, Portland, or Middletown are listed and Marlborough did not only get 3 inches. Maybe that was the total at 8:00am, but not when all was said and done. My son measured after the second wave. We had about 7" in East Hampton.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Snownado?!!!

Reaction Score
Can’t even find people to do it around my house. Not even guys to plow out the end of the driveway.
In the 50's and 60's , kids would constantly ring the bell to make money shoveling. I don't see this anymore.

I hire the landscaper who cuts my lawn, to do the snow plowing and shoveling. That deal should work anywhere, or maybe if you take care of your lawn yourself, you still could find a landscaper who would shovel and plow.

Nextdoor.com is a source to post for this service, or those doing plowing will post their services, and you can find them by entering "snow plowing" in the search bar.

Reaction Score
There's a guy in my hometown who does the plowing, mowing, leaf cleanup etc. for many people in town and he doesn't bill people and then randomly hits people up years later and tells them they owe him $15,000. It's bizarre to me that people still use him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom