What’s Your Favorite Story, Experience, Flavor, etc. At The Dairy Bar? | The Boneyard

What’s Your Favorite Story, Experience, Flavor, etc. At The Dairy Bar?

Reaction Score
My very first time at the Dairy Bar was several weeks ago. Without a doubt the best Butter Pecan ever!!

AEE6ED8D-36E5-486C-890B-761D92154D4C.jpeg
E6AA26A0-5A5B-4037-AAAF-0DDB568AD568.jpeg

Reaction Score
I have never seen so few people at the dairy bar. The line is usually out the door. What's the flavor with the chunks of chocolate in it? That's my favorite. Ice cream made from real UConn cows. Can't beat it.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was there a couple of weeks ago after a UConn baseball game. First time there in at least six years, but still the same and as good as ever.

There was a decent line, out the door and on the steps, but they keep it moving. I wish they had more outside seating though, all the tables were full.

Can`t go wrong with the Husky Tracks!

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
My son from Brooklyn N.Y. rented a house in Storrs two summers ago during co-vid to get out of the city. He made multiple visits to the Dairy Bar for half gallons with their curb side pick-up. Loved it, as did I when I visited. Yum

Reaction Score
I took a girl after school who had just asked me to the Sadie Hawkins dance, E.O. Smith. A surprise invitation. Got a couple of cones and sat on the bench at Mirror lake. The year was 1965. Cones were 25 cents for one scoop and 50 cents for two. Nothing much happen between us but at the time a memorable moment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I took a girl after school who had just asked me to the Sadie Hawkins dance, E.O. Smith. A surprise invitation. Got a couple of cones and sat on the bench at Mirror lake. The year was 1965. Cones were 25 cents for one scoop and 50 cents for two. Nothing much happen between us but at the time a memorable moment.
My freshman year I was talking to a girl from my dorm who said that she’d never been to the dairy bar, which was somewhat shocking given that she was a junior. I told her that was unacceptable for UConn student and said that we should go get one right then and there. We walked over to the dairy bar got a couple of cones and walked back. It was a beautiful fall day and I remember talking and laughing on the walk back and thinking how cute she looked. We ended up dating for a couple years.

Reaction Score
The first time that I went to the UConn Dairy Bar was in the Fall of 1961. Some one told me about it, and since I have a weakness for hot fudge sundaes, I ventured forth. Well, the folks their were too kind and too generous to a countryboy from New Mexico. I swear that they filled a quart container with vanilla ice cream and a pint of hot fudge all for $0.45. It was so good, I had another.

Reaction Score
Here's one. I was at Storrs for 3 years and never made it to the dairy bar. Maybe it was because there was ice cream in the cafeteria and partly because I lived in McMahon, the furthest you could be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Here's one. I was at Storrs for 3 years and never made it to the dairy bar. Maybe it was because there was ice cream in the cafeteria and partly because I lived in McMahon, the furthest you could be.
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I used to drive my kids to the Dairy Bar from Wallingford

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Not exactly a favorite story, but what an enduring treasure. Hard to believe I started UConn 59 years ago and that place is still going strong.I lived in the Towers so it was pretty convenient and I blew a lot of money there. Judging from the picture the interior layout has changed a lot physically. I’ve had great ice cream elsewhere but none better.

Reaction Score
In 1955 I worked at the creamery for my summer job. I helped bottle milk, cleaned the system and everyday had to climb into the milk tanker and wash it out. Hated the smell inside that thing. Also had to steam clean the milk crates, paint the inside of the coolers, etc.. Did it all.

Once I even got to help in the bar. There were no set breaks, so one could duck into the DB and make their own concoction.

The thing I remember most is one day, after steam cleaning milk crates, I was in the parking lot just walking back to the loading dock and I ran into an ammonia cloud that had formed after a break in the system on the roof of the creamery. So I was just walking on, minding my own business breathing the good air of Connecticut, when all of a sudden there was nothing to breathe. That’s an amazing experience when there’s nothing useful going into your lungs. Took me right to the ground and I had to roll away from the building until I could find some air to breathe. Getting up and walking/running was impossible for me. Place shut down early that day.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I worked in the dairy bar in 1976 (for a few weeks) delivering dairy products! I had to load a truck at 5:00 in the morning to deliver milk in stainless steel cans, ice cream etc. to the dorms and eateries around campus. It was not fun and when those milk cans and crates went sliding around the back of the truck going up and downhill, it was fairly scary. The only upside was I could eat all the ice cream I wanted. I had to quit after a few weeks as I couldn't stay awake in class.

Reaction Score

Sorry, but that's inexcusable. And don't tell me about the walk, I lived in Towers and almost all my classes where at Monteith.

Reaction Score
Sweet Claude’s is better but, yes. We went to Shady Glen in Bolton, too
But the best ice cream in the state is Ferris Acres in Newtown. Other favorites of mine are Salem Valley Farms and Grassroots. Yes, we follow the ice cream trail lol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom