What’s your biggest shooting tip | The Boneyard

What’s your biggest shooting tip

Reaction Score
I think that the shooting percentage for everyone on the team would go up measurably if they perfected an up-fake. The only one I remember using one consistently was Caroline. How many shots this year either hit the rim going up or went over it entirely because the shooter was rushing?

Reaction Score
Azzi is all about repetition.
Yes, and sometimes that can work against her. Much as it did when she came back at the end of this season. She couldn't maintain her normal rhythm. For those always looking to pounce, I most certainly do not mean this as a negative toward Azzi in any way, shape or form. Under normal circumstances, Azzi has a touch to die for. I so look forward to next season and watching her, Paige, and Caroline lighting them up from 3 point land.

Reaction Score
1. Shooting elbow faces the ground
2. Flick the wrist and bend the knees
3. Head still, eyes on the rim

Then final pose like a model...swish

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Don't shoot for the rim, shoot for the hole. That's really what you are trying to program with practice. Shoot for the rim and that's what you'll hit.

Reaction Score
Does anybody here watch the ball after you shoot? I keep my eyes on the rim. Seems to work for me.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Bill Bradley(great shooter for Princeton U. and the New York Knicks) contributed his knowledge of the game in a book entitled A SENSE OF WHERE YOU ARE.
If you practice and play the game for years, it seems sensible to know that wherever you are on the court, you instinctively know where the basket is.
That is why so many great shooters today don't have to stare at the rim before they shoot. They can grab a pass with their back to the basket, twirl around and shoot, and in it goes. But: practice, practice, practice.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
On a more basic level...

I always teach that a softest possible shot w the ball going as slow as possible with a slight rotation is best...however you accomplish it.

Being a late 40's, 50's guy...I originally emulated Carl Braun, later Bill Sharman's one-hander.

I start with my legs and try for a smooth, soft release.
Funny, it seems more accurate now (in my 80's) than it was when I was a kid.

Reaction Score
Aim for the basket! It has been maddening to watch the many missed shots from less than two feet in the past couple of years. At times, it seems like players simply throw the ball up rather than aim for the bucket. I don’t know if they are expecting contact (although they should be trying to get an and one rather than two ft), but it seems like looking at the basket and then aiming for it might help. Just please cut down on the missed layups next season!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom