Whaley | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Whaley

Reaction Score
I hope Gaffney spends time working on his handle this summer. That's a somewhat of weakness for him.

is it just you who keeps saying this or is that the consensus here? he doesnt have the tightest handle but he's only a freshmen and he doesnt get himself into trouble by over dribbling like rique. most of his TOs come from bad passes not because of his handling. i just dont get worried watching him handle the ball or running the offense.

Reaction Score
is it just you who keeps saying this or is that the consensus here? he doesnt have the tightest handle but he's only a freshmen and he doesnt get himself into trouble by over dribbling like rique. most of his TOs come from bad passes not because of his handling. i just dont get worried watching him handle the ball or running the offense.

So just don't pass it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've seen other posters and at least one color guy make the same observation and it sounds like you've noted it as well. I think he's improving, it is just something he needs to work on.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is, and will be for a long time to come, our starting point guard. for good reason.

Cole, Bouknight, and Whaley (would’ve been Akok) are my 3 locks to start. And I’m pretty sure Cole is a pure PG. Unless Gaffney plays SG while Cole is in I don’t think he starts. That’s not to say I don’t think he’ll be good. I agree with many of the other posters - once Gaffney’s shots start falling it’s game over. It’s a good problem to have. I do suppose I could see Cole, Gaffney, and Bouk all starting.

Reaction Score
I see Gaffney, Cole, and Bouknight all starting next year.

This is definitely possible. Gaffney is 6’2 and Bouk is 6’4 which could pass in college as a 2 and 3, respectively.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This is definitely possible. Gaffney is 6’2 and Bouk is 6’4 which could pass in college as a 2 and 3, respectively.
I think it's more likely than Jackson starting day 1, Gaffney will have a leg up on him now, and the idea of having 3 creators in the lineup is enticing. But it would help a lot if he could start knocking down those 3s consistently.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Cole, Bouknight, and Whaley (would’ve been Akok) are my 3 locks to start. And I’m pretty sure Cole is a pure PG. Unless Gaffney plays SG while Cole is in I don’t think he starts. That’s not to say I don’t think he’ll be good. I agree with many of the other posters - once Gaffney’s shots start falling it’s game over. It’s a good problem to have. I do suppose I could see Cole, Gaffney, and Bouk all starting.
Is Gaff not a pure pg? If so feel like he would play well off the ball. But was under the impression he was a pure pg.

Reaction Score
Is Gaff not a pure pg? If so feel like he would play well off the ball. But was under the impression he was a pure pg.
While we try to determine next years line up missing some key pieces I thought I’d throw in my two cents worth. My assumption we recruit a quality big who will start from the get go And Akko is not ready to play for the first semester. My ideal lineup is the following:
1 Cole, is as good as we believe
2 Bouknight, continues his growth and is BE ready.
3 Jackson, prototypical 3; slashes, rebounds, Bouknight level skill, don’t sit him
4 Whalley, he’s shown how valuable he is, contagious hard worker
5 Talented big, front court presence along with Whalley jams up driving lanes and can score from point blank

1-3; Gaffney & Adams.
3-4; Polly , Sid
4-5; JC, JF, RS
4-5; AA If he is somehow available during the year he likely would not get starters minutes and would have to be brought along slowly. Maybe missing the whole year would be what’s best for him.
So we would still need this quality big under any circumstances. I think everyone knows this. The BE will be a gun fight and we don’t want to show up with a pistol.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
While we try to determine next years line up missing some key pieces I thought I’d throw in my two cents worth. My assumption we recruit a quality big who will start from the get go And Akko is not ready to play for the first semester. My ideal lineup is the following:
1 Cole, is as good as we believe
2 Bouknight, continues his growth and is BE ready.
3 Jackson, prototypical 3; slashes, rebounds, Bouknight level skill, don’t sit him
4 Whalley, he’s shown how valuable he is, contagious hard worker
5 Talented big, front court presence along with Whalley jams up driving lanes and can score from point blank

1-3; Gaffney & Adams.
3-4; Polly , Sid
4-5; JC, JF, RS
4-5; AA If he is somehow available during the year he likely would not get starters minutes and would have to be brought along slowly. Maybe missing the whole year would be what’s best for him.
So we would still need this quality big under any circumstances. I think everyone knows this. The BE will be a gun fight and we don’t want to show up with a pistol.
Polley, if he's ready, may start at the 3 as a senior. And I can see a quick strong lineup at times with Jackson, Polley, Whaley at the 3-4-5 being very effective. I do agree that Cole- Bouknight look like the 1-2, backed up by Gaffney and Adams. Figure Akok will be working in more gradually but probably off the bench all year.

Reaction Score

Gaffney is too. Point being unless Gaffney can slide into the 2 spot I don’t think he starts. Cole is the second best player on the roster at worst. There’s absolutely no chance he’s not the starting PG next season.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Gaffney is too. Point being unless Gaffney can slide into the 2 spot I don’t think he starts. Cole is the second best player on the roster at worst. There’s absolutely no chance he’s not the starting PG next season.
I hope he is great, but I really have to see him produce in the big east to believe it. Jalen Gaffney has shown something recently and he is continuing to get better. How many years of eligibility does Cole have, 2 right?

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Funny thing about Springs is every thing I've read about him sort of reminds me of how Whaley plays. Long, athletic, plays hard, maybe not the most offensively gifted but will get some garbage buckets, etc. Bigger than Whaley too. If he can be Whaley-lite off the bench next year and then be similar to what Whaley is this year as a sophomore, we'll be in really good shape.
Would be SO pleased with another Isaiah.

Reaction Score
I hope he is great, but I really have to see him produce in the big east to believe it. Jalen Gaffney has shown something recently and he is continuing to get better. How many years of eligibility does Cole have, 2 right?

And he will do just that. Hurley would not have recruited a guy that he didn’t think would produce in the Big East. He has 2 years of eligibility

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
Hes turning into a real asset, hes going to be a serious piece next year, which I honestly never saw coming

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Victory lap for the 3 of us who supported Whaley 12 months ago.

people said he would struggle in the A10.

this kid has worked his tail off to add enough size to bang down low. Props to him and Alosi for the work.

if he can add that 15ft jumper...Jesus he’ll be a real weapon.

Reaction Score
Victory lap for the 3 of us who supported Whaley 12 months ago.

people said he would struggle in the A10.

this kid has worked his tail off to add enough size to bang down low. Props to him and Alosi for the work.

if he can add that 15ft jumper...Jesus he’ll be a real weapon.

whoa you called it!!! Mad props.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom