We've run a lot of our pass plays off of play action. | The Boneyard

We've run a lot of our pass plays off of play action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Many times Shirrefs has turned around to see an unblocked LB coming at him. Against Nova and Army, many times he was athletic enough slip the defender and gain positive yds.

Against Missouri, they have an absolute stud LB that may demolish BS as he turns around if he is unblocked on a delayed blitz. His name escapes me but he is animal, probably the best LB we will face all year.

I'd be tempted to run a lot less play action to avoid putting BS in harms way. Just my opinion.

Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I love the play action. It is something that haas been missing for a long time. Get the QB under center and it gives the OLine a fighting chance instead because the D must play honest and both run and pass. It's the best thing Verducci has done to keep the offensive play calling variable and fresh. More more more.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I worry about an athletic team like Mizzou jumping routes on all those quick hitters he's been throwing. I think he'll have to get downfield more which will add pressure to the line.

Reaction Score
We were doing it a lot. I noticed one time in the 3rd , they def say it coming and BS got hit right when he turned around.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we must have used the PA at least 3 times in a row one drive. Too much

Reaction Score
Shot gun, shot gun and then more shot gun.
Well, I want to agree.

Shirrefs is now two full speed games deep and is getting his feel for the system. So, as others have said, you'd think the playbook will be expanding weekly. I would normally say yeah, bust out the shotgun and spread packages. Let's see what kind of passer Shirrefs really is.

But do we really want to do this for the first game against a ranked SEC opponent?

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
Well, I want to agree. Shirrefs is now two full speed games deep and is getting his feel for the system. So, as others have said, you'd think the playbook will be expanding weekly. I would normally say yeah, bust out the shotgun and spread packages. Let's see what kind of passer Shirrefs really is. But do we really want to do this for the first game against a ranked SEC opponent?
Yes. My hope is we've been saving it for them. Shotgun with lots of short passes to Bloom and Myers and more Newsome and Marriner next week.

Reaction Score
Yes. My hope is we've been saving it for them. Shotgun with lots of short passes to Bloom and Myers and more Newsome and Marriner next week.

My only fear, and it's a big one, is that Vech hasn't had enough game experience with the shot gun amd he could be over amped and sail a few over BS' s head.

The only report I remember from summer practice was he had several high snaps from the gun.

Might see some but doubt it will be extensively used vs Mizzu.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I've heard a few mentions of shotgun snapping being an issue as well; thought that was a factor in switching to Oak. Don't think we can get by forever on play action and quick hitters, though.

Reaction Score
I've heard a few mentions of shotgun snapping being an issue as well; thought that was a factor in switching to Oak. Don't think we can get by forever on play action and quick hitters, though.

What about running the pistol. There's been many offenses that have seen success running out of the pistol against SEC teams.

Reaction Score
I don't think we have any chance without the shotgun. If it starts working confidence will go up and the snaps will improve.

If we are sailing snaps over BS' head, we'll get crushed on the scoreboard but at least it will help keep our QB from getting pummeled. I believe in the shotgun as an a great equalizer for less talented teams and also as a way of protecting the quarterback. If it doesn't make sense to the coaches, I'll accept that. I just hope it is in the arsenal because we have tons of offensive weapons as long as BS has a couple of seconds to find them.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Dr., the pistol's fine with me if it's something they've like worked on in practice. I do have a sense that verducci is rather deliberately adding layers every week and careful of what we're putting on film so maybe the shotgun is something they've been holding back on. Most of what I've seen BS throw that hasn't been play action has been quick outs and slants (and he's been very quick in getting the ball out); if you don't keep them honest, an athletic team will jump those routes and take them the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom