Wetzel and Thamel: Susan is naive | The Boneyard

Wetzel and Thamel: Susan is naive

Reaction Score
Saw a twitter headline about Roy Williams and UConn President being naive on the college basketball FBI scandal. Found it odd. What do we have to do with this scandal I thought? I also don't remember Susan really commenting one way or the other. So I clicked on it. Our 2 favorite sports writers were able to find some quotes Susan gave to some online website (they search any other President?). Anyway they got to relive the Nate Miles scandal, mention our Presidents name in relation to the FBI scandal, and make Susan look like she was clueless/hypocrite.

Roy Williams has 'amnesia' when it comes to college basketball's seedy underworld

Reaction Score
Wetzel is a Umass grad who still resents how much Uconn has passed by his alma mater. He attended the school when calamari coached there so he is living in the 90s when the rivalry was big. Takes shots at Uconn whenever he can

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
05521C02-CE39-4D4C-A4B2-3CAE565836CE.jpeg

Reaction Score
I read the article. While it's clearly biased, he has enough to work with to make Susan and UConn look bad to someone unfamiliar to the program. We may consider it bs, but he twists it into his narrative pretty well.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I posted this in the mega thread but it's extra relevant here. The quote that always stuck with me RE: Nate Miles was when Calhoun said during his YES interview: "I know what we did and I know what we didn't do".

It implied at the time that things like meals and a gym membership were harmless in the grand scheme of what kids were getting. Now we have those benefits contextualized by 100k payouts and we're getting bundled up in it in a nice tidy package.

Maybe we'll have our day in the mud, but this scandal trivializes the miles ordeal, it doesn't make it relevant again.

Reaction Score
Eh, whatever.

I think most people's takeaway reading that is to roll their eyes at UNC and Williams.

It's not worth getting too worked up over.

Reaction Score
Saw a twitter headline about Roy Williams and UConn President being naive on the college basketball FBI scandal. Found it odd. What do we have to do with this scandal I thought? I also don't remember Susan really commenting one way or the other. So I clicked on it. Our 2 favorite sports writers were able to find some quotes Susan gave to some online website (they search any other President?). Anyway they got to relive the Nate Miles scandal, mention our Presidents name in relation to the FBI scandal, and make Susan look like she was clueless/hypocrite.

Roy Williams has 'amnesia' when it comes to college basketball's seedy underworld

Didn't Thamel do the same last week by mentioning someone's father and Taliek Brown?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
What a false equivalency. A coach who presided over shady deals, and a college president with no scandals in her tenure.
Worst you can say is one lies and you think the other is naive.

Reaction Score

I'm not clicking that link.

Reaction Score
Started yesterday w/ Dan Wolken from USAT after this article: (North Carolina coach Roy Williams on FBI case: Nike 'never helped me get any player')

Dan Wolken‏ @DanWolken Oct 3
The college basketball FBI investigation broke a week ago. Today we have Ol’ Roy and the UConn president of all people claiming innocence.

Here is the complete article that Wolken took below screenshot of Susan Herbst quote from: FBI charges in college basketball -- beyond a few 'bad apples'?

King, Jeff; King‏ @JeffLurking Oct 3
Replying to @DanWolken
Counterpoint: Maybe UConn is in a weak conf because they didn't play the game the way everyone else did-Maybe this is a non PED MLB 90s guy.

Nick Riley‏ @NickRiley117 Oct 3
Replying to @DanWolken
Please enlighten us on how this is so naive. Is it naive to have trust and faith in the coaches and people in charge of athletics?

Dan Wolken‏Verified account @DanWolken Oct 3
Dan Wolken Retweeted Nick Riley
This is a bit oversimplified because it’s Twitter, but in a word, yes

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
She comes off as clueless about sports because she is clueless about sports.

If you don't want to be mocked don't say such ridiculous things.

Is lacrosse still her favorite sport?

Reaction Score
Started yesterday w/ Dan Wolken from USAT after this article: (North Carolina coach Roy Williams on FBI case: Nike 'never helped me get any player')

Here is the complete article that Wolken took below screenshot of Susan Herbst quote from: FBI charges in college basketball -- beyond a few 'bad apples'?

King, Jeff; King‏ @JeffLurking Oct 3
Replying to @DanWolken
Counterpoint: Maybe UConn is in a weak conf because they didn't play the game the way everyone else did-Maybe this is a non PED MLB 90s guy.

Nick Riley‏ @NickRiley117 Oct 3
Replying to @DanWolken
Please enlighten us on how this is so naive. Is it naive to have trust and faith in the coaches and people in charge of athletics?

Dan Wolken‏Verified account @DanWolken Oct 3
Dan Wolken Retweeted Nick Riley
This is a bit oversimplified because it’s Twitter, but in a word, yes

Dan Wolken‏ @DanWolken Oct 3
The college basketball FBI investigation broke a week ago. Today we have Ol’ Roy and the UConn president of all people claiming innocence.

That's bs, don't paint us in the same light as UNC when it comes to running a clean program. UNC cheated for 12+ year while we self reported the apr issue. Screw him.

Edit: it's not naive if it's true. Naive is kissing the of UNC, Ville, Auburn, The OhiomState, PSU, etc. when they win.

Reaction Score
This is nonsense. Obviously Susan knows the issues that happened with the program before she got here. As does everyone else involved. And as trivial as they were, they happened, and you can be sure everyone is working to keep them from happening again. "We have none of that here" isn't saying "We didn't have a tiny bit of that happen here damn near 10 years ago before I, Manuel, KO, or Benedict got here"

Reaction Score
For the stupid, all Susan is saying is that the Presidents are complicit in this. Jeez. She's saying she makes damn sure it doesn't happen under her watch.

Reaction Score
If we've been involved in this in the past few years I'll be a bit embarrassed -- the main takeaway would be that we suck at cheating . . .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm naive, but I thought Calhoun's transgressions weren't due to his actions during the recruitment. Miles had committed. I thought he was gigged for excess contact during the care and feeding process. No where near as egregious as others, imo.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm naive, but I thought Calhoun's transgressions weren't due to his actions during the recruitment. Miles had committed. I thought he was gigged for excess contact during the care and feeding process. No where near as egregious as others, imo.
You're correct. It was a vendetta by Emmert and Hathaway.

JC went to the compliance department to report the Nate Miles situation. Of course the compliance department was Jeff Hathaway. He got rid of the staff. It is obvious to many of us now, as opposed to when that incident occurred, Jeff, like Emmert, had a grudge against JC and threw him under the bus. Any reasonable AD would have understood JC was not in league with Nochimson because he cheated Rip just prior to this incident.

The NCAA got JC on a technicality (an issue since changed) over the numbers of contacts made with Miles. They dismissed the argument the staff made that they kept contacting Nate to stay away from Nochimson. If Emmert wasn't already biased against UConn and JC they might have given JC some slack but Hathaway made the statement he never saw JC recruit a player harder than Miles. Of course Hathaway stayed away from JC because they hated one another so he would have no clue to support his statement.

Reaction Score
In the NCAA's eyes the only way Calhoun was able to turn a lowly UConn program into a powerhouse was to cheat. I will always believe that the retroactive nature of the APR penalties was directly related to the NCAA's frustration in not being able to tie the Miles matters directly to Calhoun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom