Westport's Mark Didio following his father's legacy at UConn: 'Dream come true' (Paul Doyle @ Hearst) | The Boneyard

Westport's Mark Didio following his father's legacy at UConn: 'Dream come true' (Paul Doyle @ Hearst)

Reaction Score

-> His first game at Rentschler Field was on a Saturday afternoon in November 2008. Mark Didio Jr. saw UConn face West Virginia with his father, who was not just any fan in the stands. Mark Didio Sr. is a significant name in UConn football history, a record-setting wide receiver with the Yankee Conference Huskies from 1988-91. <-

-> “UConn has been a huge part of my life since I was born,” the freshman said. “A dream come true.”

Sitting among his new teammates in the Shenkman Training Center during UConn’s media day last week, Didio recited the names and games from the past. For a program searching for it identity, Didio is more than a preferred walk-on receiver — he’s team historian, cheerleader, spark plug, aspiring play-maker.

No one needs to preach program pride to Didio. “UConn means a ton to me,” he said. “I love UConn.” <-

-> Didio Jr. attended Staples High before spending two years at Taft. His senior season was canceled because of the pandemic, limiting his highlight footage to practices and workouts.

There were offers from Sacred Heart and Wagner. Colgate reached out, but UConn was the only FBS school with interest. That came after wide receivers coach Aaron Smith watched Didio on video. “He’s a very talented football player,” Smith said. “This is a big adjustment but Mark is a worker and he challenges himself.”

Smith has observed Didio (5-foot-10, 180 pounds) working out early and late, tagging alongside sophomore receiver Cam Ross (team-high 60 receptions in 2016) and doing all he can to nudge himself to the front of the line. A walk-on from a Connecticut prep school could get lost on the depth chart. As preseason practice was starting last week, Didio was trying to distinguish himself. “He has the hunger, which is important,” Smith said. “So the big thing I’m looking forward to with him is just him getting out there in the field and knowing what he’s doing. When the moment comes, not being afraid to be who he is and go out there and play football.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek
Top Bottom