Westbrook Waiver? | The Boneyard

Westbrook Waiver?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I read in the news today that many "hardship" waiver requests are not decided on until the Fall.
Also, the approval rates have gone down in the past 3 years:

2016-2017=79% approved
2017-2018=73% approved
2018-2019=63% approved

Reaction Score
I read in the news today that many "hardship" waiver requests are not decided on until the Fall.
Also, the approval rates have gone down in the past 3 years:

2016-2017=79% approved
2017-2018=73% approved
2018-2019=63% approved

Westbrook is not applying for a "hardship waiver", she is applying for an "immediate eligibility waiver"/

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The chances of the NCAA doing anything that benefits the student athlete are slim. The chances of the NCAA doing something that benefits the student athlete and UConn.. are none!!!!!!
The chance of the NCAA doing anything that benefits themselves are 100%. As shortsighted as it may be.

Reaction Score
The chance of the NCAA doing anything that benefits themselves are 100%. As shortsighted as it may be.
Question for the knowledgeable about the NCAA: How many of those making decisiions are College people? How many are administrative staff, i.e disassociated from universities? I ask this because : 1. I believed they were made up of University people who had the best interest of the Student AND schools in their decision making 2. Most decision I have seen in recent years are " suspect", NC decision, some anti (apparently) Uconn, and the ND decision for Shephard (Shepherd). ?? Most of those in (2) don't appear to be for the good of the student(s) and more (probably) for the school. However the Uconn thing didn't seem to favor anyone. The punishment didn't appear to fit the crime.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The derision and cynicism on here sometimes is even too much for me!
There is a “loose pattern” that the NCAA follows and unfortunately for UConn WCBB, Westbrook falls in the “gray area” of that pattern.

She noted her intentions to transfer before “a coaching change was determined” so how that affects the pattern is unknown.

Waivers applied have been approved when coaching abuse was noted and coaching changes occurred. Waivers have also been granted when coaching changes occurred and the departing school gave the student their blessing to the NCAA.

If Tenn objects (and it is supposed to be based on the student, not the proposed school) then the NCAA will determine the merits of the objections before deciding but usually agrees with the prior school.

Given the current reform to allow all sports except for the 2 main revenue sports (football, MCBB) to freely move, I think our situation is fairly good for her to be granted a waiver.

While sports in general have seen transfers increase, they are still well below the levels of their solely academic student peers.

Let’s be optimistic and save derision for November!

Reaction Score
It is a very unpredictable decision just based off of past decisions that have been made. For example, Kate Rodgers and Promise Taylor both applied for transfer waivers following the coaching change at Ole Miss, Rodgers' waiver was approved, while Taylor's was denied. Promise Taylor transferred to Mississippi State, the in-state, intra-conference rival, while Rodgers transferred to Troy, a mid-major in her home state.

Lots of different things go into it, which is why people can't just say Westbrook and Collins' waivers must be ruled the same way.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
She's got a good narrative. Coaching change + "harassment" by her team's fans making staying untenable = Westbrook having a shot a waiver. I have no idea if they'll grant it, but she's got a shot.

Reaction Score
She's got a good narrative. Coaching change + "harassment" by her team's fans making staying untenable = Westbrook having a shot a waiver. I have no idea if they'll grant it, but she's got a shot.
On the other side of the scale is the school from where she is departing giving their blessing. "Sorry not sorry" and the mild veiled jab calling Tennessee "any other school" likely does not help with this. Sometimes coaches and players need to think about how something they say may be viewed by others. In this day and age of hypersensitivity, even trivial comments get blown out of proportion.

CL82

Reaction Score
On the other side of the scale is the school from where she is departing giving their blessing. "Sorry not sorry" and the mild veiled jab calling Tennessee "any other school" likely does not help with this. Sometimes coaches and players need to think about how something they say may be viewed by others. In this day and age of hypersensitivity, even trivial comments get blown out of proportion.
Yeah, I strongly doubt the they'll be snitty and it isn't in their best interest to be, both for future recruiting and for a future relationship with the program.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I strongly doubt the they'll be snitty and it isn't in their best interest to be, both for future recruiting and for a future relationship with the program.

Can’t tell. Is this post intended to be sarcastic?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Westbrook is not applying for a "hardship waiver", she is applying for an "immediate eligibility waiver"/
Today's Waterbury Republica-American: "UCONN coach Geno Auriemma said at the time of Westbrook's transfer that the Huskies would indeed ask for a "hardship waiver."

Reaction Score
Question for the knowledgeable about the NCAA: How many of those making decisiions are College people? How many are administrative staff, i.e disassociated from universities? I ask this because : 1. I believed they were made up of University people who had the best interest of the Student AND schools in their decision making 2. Most decision I have seen in recent years are " suspect", NC decision, some anti (apparently) Uconn, and the ND decision for Shephard (Shepherd). ?? Most of those in (2) don't appear to be for the good of the student(s) and more (probably) for the school. However the Uconn thing didn't seem to favor anyone. The punishment didn't appear to fit the crime.

The initial decision is made by NCAA staff, but all cases they turn down may be appealed - and often are - to the Division I Committee for Legislative Relief. That committee is made up of seven members from Division I schools or conferences. No NCAA staff. According to the committee, they look at three key areas: 1) mitigation, 2) academic records; and 3) previous school’s position. What they call "mitigation" are the factors that put pressure on the student-athlete to transfer, such as egregious behavior by the staff, mental health problems, and the player being run off the team.

CL82

Reaction Score
Wow. Just don’t see Tennessee thinking or acting that way.
There's a new sheriff in town. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt.

Reaction Score
Today's Waterbury Republica-American: "UCONN coach Geno Auriemma said at the time of Westbrook's transfer that the Huskies would indeed ask for a "hardship waiver."

The author probably just made a mistake.

Reaction Score
The derision and cynicism on here sometimes is even too much for me!
There is a “loose pattern” that the NCAA follows and unfortunately for UConn WCBB, Westbrook falls in the “gray area” of that pattern.

She noted her intentions to transfer before “a coaching change was determined” so how that affects the pattern is unknown.

Waivers applied have been approved when coaching abuse was noted and coaching changes occurred. Waivers have also been granted when coaching changes occurred and the departing school gave the student their blessing to the NCAA.

If Tenn objects (and it is supposed to be based on the student, not the proposed school) then the NCAA will determine the merits of the objections before deciding but usually agrees with the prior school.

Given the current reform to allow all sports except for the 2 main revenue sports (football, MCBB) to freely move, I think our situation is fairly good for her to be granted a waiver.

While sports in general have seen transfers increase, they are still well below the levels of their solely academic student peers.

Let’s be optimistic and save derision for November!
I Still believe money always talks, and ESPN renewed this series, if they don' t have Westbrook playing they will cause a problem that the NCAA will never recover from.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom