We're Still UCONN | The Boneyard

We're Still UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's a tough day for those of us that follow this stuff too closely. I Just want to remind everyone that we are still UConn. We've dominated men's and women's hoops for the past 25 years and will continue to do so. We are a national athletic program, and that will not change. We dominate our home market and that will not change. All we can do is continue to support our program and we'll be fine. CR sucks. The American is not where we want to be. But it is what it is. I wouldn't trade any of our national championships to take Rutgers or Louisville's place.

UConn needs to get football to the point where it is one of a few dominant G5 programs. That would actually give us some decent national visibility. We have to sell out the Rent and give Warde a reason to get that thing expanded. Being in a G5 conference means that success and fan support is more important now than ever. Regardless of conference, 9 and 10 win seasons with sellouts at home would make me pretty happy. We are the only national brand in the American. We need to dominate that conference in football and make it clear that this is UConn's conference and it really doesn't matter who else is in it.

Reaction Score
It's a tough day for those of us that follow this stuff too closely. I Just want to remind everyone that we are still UConn. We've dominated men's and women's hoops for the past 25 years and will continue to do so. We are a national athletic program, and that will not change. We dominate our home market and that will not change. All we can do is continue to support our program and we'll be fine. CR sucks. The American is not where we want to be. But it is what it is. I wouldn't trade any of our national championships to take Rutgers or Louisville's place.

UConn needs to get football to the point where it is one of a few dominant G5 programs. That would actually give us some decent national visibility. We have to sell out the Rent and give Warde a reason to get that thing expanded. Being in a G5 conference means that success and fan support is more important now than ever. Regardless of conference, 9 and 10 win seasons with sellouts at home would make me pretty happy. We are the only national brand in the American. We need to dominate that conference in football and make it clear that this is UConn's conference and it really doesn't matter who else is in it.
I'd trade one of Geno's championships for Rutgers' spot. Geno would still have the most, albeit tied, and he's pretty certain to get another soon.

Reaction Score

I think your optimism is to be commended. I believe that most boneyarders would prefer that UConn was in Louisville's or Rutgers' place at this time. What you don't seem to realize that under the new realignment of athletics, UConn will be at an extreme disadvantage, and national prominence will disappear as funds disappear. UConn fans have supported the athletic programs. It has made no difference in CR. Put a winning team on the field and fans will come. Continue to stink and no one will come. The past 2 years were disastrous for UConn football and has further diminished the perception both in CT and nationally of UConn football. I am not sure that attendance at sporting events makes a difference. I don't know how many people attend BC or RU games in football, but I doubt that the attendance is sensational enough to get them into a P5 conference. Furthermore, UConn is associated with a major cable sports network (SNY) Neither RU nor BC have such a relationship(nor many other P5 schools for that matter) Has it made a difference for UConn in CR? Nope. Money and politics drive the CR bus.

Reaction Score
I'm very apprehensive about the future too. However, now we are the hands down top dog in our conference and need to act like it. Get football back on track and dominate the G5. UConn is still the top sports draw in CT and that isn't about to change. We are the largest state with no pro or P5 team. Our market is our market and it's a large and wealthy one. I used to be a Big East fan but now I don't care about any conference, just UConn. There just needs to be a singular focus on UConn.

People in CT are not going to be paying attention to the B1G or ACC in any meaningful way. I haven't watched Syracuse since they left the BE and have no interest in watching Rutgers or Louisville in their new homes. I've never watched conferences that UConn wasn't in and I'm certainly not going to start now. Rutgers never has or will get any press in CT. Cuse or BC either. UConn, however, will continue to get press coverage in the NYC and Boston markets. The fanbase within and outside the state of CT can keep UConn relevant and strong.

Reaction Score
I am tired of being that UConn has to do this or that to get a P-5 nod. What ..k did Rutgers, Syracuse etc do to land in a P-5 conference? Please remind me. And before I listen to Warde Manuel say once more that we (the loyal fans) have to pack this stadium or that arena, I want to hear what his plan is to get us out of the gulag. I am willing to put the past in the past with respect to Warde and others, but let's hear (or see) what they are doing. Actions, please!

Reaction Score
P5 or not, UConn and CT need to worry about UConn. Keep playing elite basketball and get football to the top of our conference. As fans, that is what we should be worried about the most.

Reaction Score
We'll be fine. But it's really the other AAC schools who need to step up. And they seem very ambitious. Some ECU fans are already foaming at their mouths at the mention of us. Fun days ahead.

Reaction Score
I'm very apprehensive about the future too. However, now we are the hands down top dog in our conference and need to act like it. Get football back on track and dominate the G5. UConn is still the top sports draw in CT and that isn't about to change. We are the largest state with no pro or P5 team. Our market is our market and it's a large and wealthy one. I used to be a Big East fan but now I don't care about any conference, just UConn. There just needs to be a singular focus on UConn.

People in CT are not going to be paying attention to the B1G or ACC in any meaningful way. I haven't watched Syracuse since they left the BE and have no interest in watching Rutgers or Louisville in their new homes. I've never watched conferences that UConn wasn't in and I'm certainly not going to start now. Rutgers never has or will get any press in CT. Cuse or BC either. UConn, however, will continue to get press coverage in the NYC and Boston markets. The fanbase within and outside the state of CT can keep UConn relevant and strong.

The B1G & ACC don't seem to understand the demographics that Connecticut delivers. Fairfield County is part of NYC's area of dominate interest. For many here it is a bedroom county, bedroom counties have television sets.

UCONN has targeted the southwest part of the state. They moved the Stamford branch from 2 small buildings in the woods of north Stamford to a multimillion dollar facility in downtown Stamford. The men's and women's basketball teams each played a home game in Bridgeport this past season. Each sold out Webster Bank Arena including the $350 luxury boxes.

No one, on the train into NYC in the morning is rapping about Rutgers. The Huskies, after a memorable game, get the front page on The Connecticut Post, NY Post and NY Daily News. The NY Times have a beat writer that covers UCONN exclusively. People are talking Huskies in NYC. Many native New Yorkers have "adopted" UCONN as far as rooting interest.

I have worked in NY the better part of 30 years and the buzz started in 1988 after the NIT win against Ohio State. That game was so cool. I got tickets the same day as the game and ended up under the basket---unfortunately on the Ohio State side. I tend to make a lot of noise and there was a lot of good natured ribbing going on. I should have changed clothes but I didn't and had a 3 piece suit on. Again, I was noisy. The Ohio State brethren started a chant "we want the suit, we want the suit". (You had to be there). Rushing the court was unreal. The front, yes front page of the late edition of the Daily News was "UCONN's Garden Party". We had arrived.

The point is that New York embraces UCONN. UCONN travels well basketball wise but many New York Husky fans live in NY and are a solid chunk of the UCONN faithful during the old BET, or playing St. Johns and this year at the NCAA's. SNY covers UCONN.

I do honestly believe that the ACC and B1G are messing up an obvious way to sell their product. Not only New Yorkers have adopted the Huskies. People who live in Fairfield County have done the same. The only University that has caught the eye of non-alum in the NYC metropolitan area to a serious extent is Notre Dame's football, and that is starting to fade. UCONN has become a strong regional force, and when that force includes NYC, we are talking BIG numbers.

Fairfield county has become the home of many UCONN alumni and I think the beautiful Stamford branch is a key. Plus, there are alums (like myself) here in increasing numbers.

So, not only has the marketing people at the B1G and ACC farted away the Hartford market, but NYC as well. I know that is not a revelation at this point. However, the density of penetration of UCONN in "the Gold Coast" of Connecticut and tri-state area in general (including North Jersey, Rutgers is a dud) is vastly underestimated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The B1G & ACC don't seem to understand the demographics that Connecticut delivers. Fairfield County is part of NYC's area of dominate interest. For many here it is a bedroom county, bedroom counties have television sets.

UCONN has targeted the southwest part of the state. They moved the Stamford branch from 2 small buildings in the woods of north Stamford to a multimillion dollar facility in downtown Stamford. The men's and women's basketball teams each played a home game in Bridgeport this past season. Each sold out Webster Bank Arena including the $350 luxury boxes.

No one, on the train into NYC in the morning is rapping about Rutgers. The Huskies, after a memorable game, get the front page on The Connecticut Post, NY Post and NY Daily News. The NY Times have a beat writer that covers UCONN exclusively. People are talking Huskies in NYC. Many native New Yorkers have "adopted" UCONN as far as rooting interest.

I have worked in NY the better part of 30 years and the buzz started in 1988 after the NIT win against Ohio State. That game was so cool. I got tickets the same day as the game and ended up under the basket---unfortunately on the Ohio State side. I tend to make a lot of noise and there was a lot of good natured ribbing going on. I should have changed clothes but I didn't and had a 3 piece suit on. Again, I was noisy. The Ohio State brethren started a chant "we want the suit, we want the suit". (You had to be there). Rushing the court was unreal. The front, yes front page of the late edition of the Daily News was "UCONN's Garden Party". We had arrived.

The point is that New York embraces UCONN. UCONN travels well basketball wise but many New York Husky fans live in NY and are a solid chunk of the UCONN faithful during the old BET, or playing St. Johns and this year at the NCAA's. SNY covers UCONN.

I do honestly believe that the ACC and B1G are messing up an obvious way to sell their product. Not only New Yorkers have adopted the Huskies. People who live in Fairfield County have done the same. The only University that has caught the eye of non-alum in the NYC metropolitan area to a serious extent is Notre Dame's football, and that is starting to fade. UCONN has become a strong regional force, and when that force includes NYC, we are talking BIG numbers.

Fairfield county has become the home of many UCONN alumni and I think the beautiful Stamford branch is a key. Plus, there are alums (like myself) here in increasing numbers.

So, not only has the marketing people at the B1G and ACC farted away the Hartford market, but NYC as well. I know that is not a revelation at this point. However, the density of penetration of UCONN in "the Gold Coast" of Connecticut and tri-state area in general (including North Jersey, Rutgers is a dud) is vastly underestimated.
I made my first trip to the RAC this year (see avatar) and I'm pretty sure we were their only sellout of the year. Even when Louisville came in as a Top 10 team they didn't sell out. They only sold out because we brought at least 3k fans. It's not unusual for us to flood that place. Walking around downtown Piscataway beforehand it was a sea of blue. Say its all about football yada yada yada but B1G fans support ALL their teams good and BAD. Having 300 people show up for early season games isn't gonna gain them a lot of respect from their new conference brethren.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom