We're Right Back Where We Started | The Boneyard

We're Right Back Where We Started

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
At some point we need to collectively move beyond denial and toward acceptance.

We need to accept that, right now, we are a middle of the road FCS team. We need to judge our team by whether they are playing to the level of a mid-tier FCS team or not, because that's the best they can do. Obviously we should hold the program to a much higher standard, but I'm over getting angry at the team's performance. I've accepted who this year's team is.

Purdue beat us 49-0. They outgained us by 300 yards. If we're Lehigh (and, on a talent level, we're Lehigh), we say, "hey, that's not so bad -- we gained 250 yards against Purdue!"

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this is where our program should be or where we should be setting our goals. But I am saying anyone who thought this wouldn't be the outcome of today's game is in denial about who our team is right now and what the UConn Huskies are capable of accomplishing.

Nothing is getting magically fixed next week. The same mid-level FCS squad is going to show up against Army and we should set our expectations accordingly. Maybe they'll give us a few reasons to cheer.

Believing this is an FBS team or an FBS program means you're living in denial. This is an FCS team and an FCS program that's been grandfathered into the FBS level. In the long term, we need to accept that we're right back where we were when we were transitioning up from I-AA, but perhaps without the hope and energy that come with that upward mobility. This time there's no BCS conference waiting for us on the other side.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's alright and it's coming on
We gotta get right back to where we started from
Love is good, love can be strong
We gotta get right back to where we started from

Reaction Score

We need to accept that, right now, we are a middle of the road FCS team. We need to judge our team by whether they are playing to the level of a mid-tier FCS team or not, because that's the best they can do. Obviously we should hold the program to a much higher standard, but I'm over getting angry at the team's performance. I've accepted who this year's team is.

Purdue beat us 49-0. They outgained us by 300 yards. If we're Lehigh (and, on a talent level, we're Lehigh), we say, "hey, that's not so bad -- we gained 250 yards against Purdue!"

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this is where our program should be or where we should be setting our goals. But I am saying anyone who thought this wouldn't be the outcome of today's game is in denial about who our team is right now and what the UConn Huskies are capable of accomplishing.

Nothing is getting magically fixed next week. The same mid-level FCS squad is going to show up against Army and we should set our expectations accordingly. Maybe they'll give us a few reasons to cheer.

Believing this is an FBS team or an FBS program means you're living in denial. This is an FCS team and an FCS program that's been grandfathered into the FBS level. In the long term, we need to accept that we're right back where we were when we were transitioning up from I-AA, but perhaps without the hope and energy that come with that upward mobility. This time there's no BCS conference waiting for us on the other side.
Finally, a rational post about the state of UCONN Football

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Look at the schedule and results from Edsalls first year in 2017. It's amazing how much more competitive the team was. The team sucked but they didn't lose 45-0 and 49-0. Then Edsall made changes and 4 years later the team is infinitely worse. I had forgotten that even a team filled with Diaco players could actually beat an FBS team.

It's official...Randy Edsall is a worse head coach than Bob Diaco. How the hell does UConn keep getting worse at hiring head football coaches?

1631403302343.png

Reaction Score
The defense was giving up just as many points. The difference is we had Lashlee calling the offensive plays and we were scoring. If I recall there was chatter that Edsall was telling him to "slow down" to give the defense more rest. I don't think Crocker's defense was any better than the current defense. I don't understand what people thought was going to change this week. The same guy calling the offensive plays last week was calling them this week. The same guy calling defensive plays last week was calling them this week. Only change was we had a different quarterback in and we lost our top receiver and faced a Big 10 team instead of Holy Cross.

Reaction Score
Edsall is definitely worse than Diacco. That first year he kept complaining those weren’t “his players” and it would take time to rebuild into a winning program. The more Edsall got control over the program - the worse we got. He really did take us to the bottom of the barrel.

It is hard to imagine a worse coaching job - in any sport. I can’t believe he collects a paycheck until December.

Reaction Score

correct. I said it during the chat: this team is as bad as the 1990s I-AA teams that played at the old Memorial Stadium next to Gampel Pavilion. Remember that place? You could sit on the hill on the opposite side of the street and watch the game. Or you could sneak into the stands with ease by going over the concession stand.

I don't know how the day-to-day athletic department functions or Dave Benedict's day-to-day schedule operates, but he needs to delegate any task and every task for any sport outside of football to some other people. And he needs to set up a special task force that he leads to making the correct coaching hire. This one is so critical and might be UConn football's last chance. FFS, Merrimack, I mean Merrimack, beat Holy Cross today.

This is all assuming the athletic dept, BoT, and UConn admin is honestly trying to create a top notch or even viable football program. The Randy Edsall hiring makes me question that.

Goatmeat

Puncher of Goats
Reaction Score

Agree with all of this. When you recruit a bunch of FCS level players that get one FBS offer (UConn) and throw them all on the same field during a game, you get an FCS level team. This is not rocket science.

Reaction Score
I remember thinking back in 2016 after the season ended that Diaco would be retained because of his buyout and also just allowing him to implement his plan (even though he was over his head). When the news broke that he got fired, I was thinking "wow this Benedict isn't messing around". I was excited because I interpreted the firing as UConn saying they were fully committed to getting UConn football back to a high level and I was eager to see who the new coach being hired would be.

Then when Randy was hired I felt so deflated. I guess it was due to not having money for a better coach and staff, but I really wanted to see an out-of-the box hire, not a retread. It reminded me of the NY Giants hiring Dave Gettleman as GM.

Reaction Score
I’m not as downbeat as most. I do think we have the worst OC in college football. He had no experience leading an offense before he was promoted at UConn and it shows. What is he trying to do on offense? I blame Edsall for promoting him.

I think the ineptitude on offense is causing the defense to look worse than it really is.

As for the players, I think the roster is young, especially in a season with super seniors. That said, I do think UConn should have added a few more transfers to fill holes this year. Again, I blame Edsall.

I do think the players are developing, but I don’t think she schemes/coaching is good. I’m optimistic that a new coach and better coaching along with some additional adds from the portal can make UConn competitive again.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
pro tip: u get a stiff neck looking backwards.
the shame is not in getting knocked down. the shame is in not getting up after getting knocked down, even if it happens again and again. get it right, get up, and let's get going, whatever it takes. count me in.

Reaction Score
Agree with all of this. When you recruit a bunch of FCS level players that get one FBS offer (UConn) and throw them all on the same field during a game, you get an FCS level team. This is not rocket science.
Right. No matter who the coaches are, they have to figure out how to convince FBS kids to come here. Right now that's extremely tough, I don't know how they will do it. Pick UCONN over Rutgers or Syracuse or Temple.

Reaction Score
Edsall never cared. He wanted the biggest pay check he could get and then bolted for his dream job (and a bigger pay day) at Maryland and left our program in the dust. It was UConn (and more importantly the players) that gave him the opportunity to take his dream job. he left the program high and dry. He proved at Maryland he couldn’t coach. He had just as much if not more talent and resources there and couldn’t get it done. He never deserved the second stint as HC. You think he was putting in the work needed to succeed? Absolutely not. Collected a nice check though. Now it’s no longer his problem - just like after the Fiesta Bowl.

something can be said about a coach who builds something and sticks with it. Edsall didn’t do that. He was always thinking the next opportunity and not about becoming a better coach or building a program. When Maryland canned him he knew he wasn’t getting another HC position anywhere else. With our program already in disarray at the time he knew UConn wouldn’t be able to find someone that offered what he had: precious success (which as I mentioned earlier was not attrituble to him) and a job at a P5.

He played the university well. Problem is we bought it.

Reaction Score
21 days and counting...........................................................to hockey's opener.

Reaction Score
I’m not as downbeat as most. I do think we have the worst OC in college football. He had no experience leading an offense before he was promoted at UConn and it shows. What is he trying to do on offense? I blame Edsall for promoting him.

I think the ineptitude on offense is causing the defense to look worse than it really is.

As for the players, I think the roster is young, especially in a season with super seniors. That said, I do think UConn should have added a few more transfers to fill holes this year. Again, I blame Edsall.

I do think the players are developing, but I don’t think she schemes/coaching is good. I’m optimistic that a new coach and better coaching along with some additional adds from the portal can make UConn competitive again.

The offense just as much as the defense need to step it up. You say the ineptitude on the offense is causing the defense to look worse than it really is, but you can say the same about the ineptitude on the defense, its making the offense look worse than it is. It’s on both. It’s unacceptable for the offense to score zero and it’s unacceptable for the defense to give up 49 points. The defense giving up 49 points has nothing to do with the offense.

Reaction Score
I was hoping they would rally and put up a bit of a fight . They are too slow, too weak, and too small. Worse than that, they generally unskilled football players. It’s a total rebuild. They have to hammer the portal and guarantee play time to get a serious talent injection .

Reaction Score
Edsall never cared. He wanted the biggest pay check he could get and then bolted for his dream job (and a bigger pay day) at Maryland and left our program in the dust. It was UConn (and more importantly the players) that gave him the opportunity to take his dream job. he left the program high and dry. He proved at Maryland he couldn’t coach. He had just as much if not more talent and resources there and couldn’t get it done. He never deserved the second stint as HC. You think he was putting in the work needed to succeed? Absolutely not. Collected a nice check though. Now it’s no longer his problem - just like after the Fiesta Bowl.

something can be said about a coach who builds something and sticks with it. Edsall didn’t do that. He was always thinking the next opportunity and not about becoming a better coach or building a program. When Maryland canned him he knew he wasn’t getting another HC position anywhere else. With our program already in disarray at the time he knew UConn wouldn’t be able to find someone that offered what he had: precious success (which as I mentioned earlier was not attrituble to him) and a job at a P5.

He played the university well. Problem is we bought it.
.............yeah, remember this is the same state that bought Robert Krafts BS about moving the Patriots to Hartford. Remember that boys and girls.

Reaction Score
The offense just as much as the defense need to step it up. You say the ineptitude on the offense is causing the defense to look worse than it really is, but you can say the same about the ineptitude on the defense, its making the offense look worse than it is. It’s on both. It’s unacceptable for the offense to score zero and it’s unacceptable for the defense to give up 49 points. The defense giving up 49 points has nothing to do with the offense.
I think some UConn fans, as well as Edsall, have not adjusted to the new normal in college football. The average points scored by the winner in college football yesterday was 41 points. I think Edsall thought you could still win games 20-17: but those type of games are unusual today. You have to expect your opponent to score, but you have to score as well.

Giufre is in over his head as OC. Plays are way too slow to develop which allows the defense to respond. And, his schemes don’t seem to create wide open receivers. If I were Spanos (and Benedict), I would bring in an offensive consultant to tweak the offensive schemes. (It’s too late to overhaul the schemes this season.) Giufre is in charge of OL as well and the missed assignments are unacceptable. And, how do you not provide help to the RT, Chase Lundt, a RFr, who is up against Purdue’s best defender, Karlaftis? Unacceptable.

As for how the defense is looking bad due to the offense, a lot of defense is emotion and after a few inept offensive drives, I think the defense loses their passion. If the offense scored on a couple of early drives, I think the defensive intensity would have been higher.

On a side note, I do think UConn beats HC with Steven Krajewski at QB. His throws were decent and he added the running dimension to QB. And, he seems poised.

Reaction Score
Look at the schedule and results from Edsalls first year in 2017. It's amazing how much more competitive the team was. The team sucked but they didn't lose 45-0 and 49-0. Then Edsall made changes and 4 years later the team is infinitely worse. I had forgotten that even a team filled with Diaco players could actually beat an FBS team.

It's official...Randy Edsall is a worse head coach than Bob Diaco. How the hell does UConn keep getting worse at hiring head football coaches?

View attachment 69727
I think the other part was Lashlee’s offensive play calling. Take the points away and replace them with zero and that’s close to where we are today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom