We're On the Eve of Destruction! | The Boneyard

We're On the Eve of Destruction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Finally! Our UConn Huskies season is about to start! :) And that means gearing up here for our Boneyard Badass Awards. Here's how it got started:

About one year ago, I composed a post expressing my admiration and appreciation for our keen stats experts/analysts and added a comment to the effect that my ineptitude with numbers forced me to rely on my "eye test" assessment of players.
Next, I elaborated by breaking my assessment process into seeking answers to two questions: (1) Can she play? and, if so (2) Is she a Badass?
This very basic evaluation technique caught on, and the game-by-game identification and recognition of Badasses began on the Boneyard.
And here's how it works:
Badass Awards are based on big-time clutch play. Timely buckets at crunch time, steals, rebounds, gritty stuff -- not mere scoring stats. And NEVER for dirty play, boorish behavior, or poor attitude -- toward anybody!
No honorable mentions, BUT multiple awards for special performances in a big game, especially if tightly contested.
By popular acclaim, Boneyard Badass recognition was awarded to a few, outside the lines, so to speak: Swin Cash, Rosemary Ragle, Tierney Lawlor, and a few others.
We never recognized anyone as a Badass after a loss. DOH! No losses last year. I don't think we should name any Badass, if the inevitable setback occurs.​

OK, game on vs. FSU. Who will be the first Badass of the 2016-2017 season? Stay tuned -- and GO HUSKIES!:):):)

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Finally! Our UConn Huskies season is about to start! :) And that means gearing up here for our Boneyard Badass Awards. Here's how it got started:

About one year ago, I composed a post expressing my admiration and appreciation for our keen stats experts/analysts and added a comment to the effect that my ineptitude with numbers forced me to rely on my "eye test" assessment of players.
Next, I elaborated by breaking my assessment process into seeking answers to two questions: (1) Can she play? and, if so (2) Is she a Badass?
This very basic evaluation technique caught on, and the game-by-game identification and recognition of Badasses began on the Boneyard.
And here's how it works:
Badass Awards are based on big-time clutch play. Timely buckets at crunch time, steals, rebounds, gritty stuff -- not mere scoring stats. And NEVER for dirty play, boorish behavior, or poor attitude -- toward anybody!
No honorable mentions, BUT multiple awards for special performances in a big game, especially if tightly contested.
By popular acclaim, Boneyard Badass recognition was awarded to a few, outside the lines, so to speak: Swin Cash, Rosemary Ragle, Tierney Lawlor, and a few others.
We never recognized anyone as a Badass after a loss. DOH! No losses last year. I don't think we should name any Badass, if the inevitable setback occurs.​

OK, game on vs. FSU. Who will be the first Badass of the 2016-2017 season? Stay tuned -- and GO HUSKIES!:):):)
Was this rhetorical? :cool: 'Cause I vote Gabby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Gabby gets my vote too. I see Gabulous recording the season's first double-double, and making plays all over the court. Final score, the envelope sez: UConn 70 - FSU 55. Go Huskies. :cool:

JS

Reaction Score
Barry McGuire would approve of this thread title, over and over and over again.
I thought it was going to be a "We're dooooooomed" thread, perhaps satirizing another front-page thread.

For a writing precisionist, Kib was unclear in his title just who will get destroyed. Evidently it's the upcoming victims of the Badasses.

Reaction Score
Gabby has to be the safe choice, but Geno has been saying a lot of different things about Lou the past 2 weeks, playing her up and then knocking her down, and then playing her up again. Geno has been talking about Lou's outstanding practice performance a lot, and, since we can't see them, it's a tease. So Lou as an emerging superstar is a big question mark for us, I think.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A peek back in time. Some notable examples of Badass moments:
- NC game vs. ND. Score 56-50 and the Irish making a move, issue in doubt with about 4 min. to go. BANG! Kaleena for three! Moments later, Kaleena for two! ND played on, but it was over.

- Madison Garden, Maggie Dixon Classic, Maryland closing in on UConn. BANG! Saniya for three to shut the door on the Terps.

- And my personal favorite: Polly Pulido. That Shot! ;)
Just a few great Badass moments of yore. Best of all, there are many more to come! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom