We're #76!!!!!!!!!! | The Boneyard

We're #76!!!!!!!!!!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
#76 in final USA Today ranking.

Ahead of 18 P5 programs by my count.

Ahead of BCU at #115.

It's a start. Would love to be inside Top 50 by end of next season. Win 7-8 regular season games and win a bowl game and it's reasonable.

Reaction Score
awesome. while i still see a bunch of teams i HIGHLY doubt we'd beat, ranked beneath us, the specific number isn't what i'm paying attention to, but rather the portion of the ranking.

To be firmly placed between 50 and 100 at the end of the year, would have been a dream in august, and to have accomplished that in reality leaves this fan speechless. We're in the mix, and we're not a runt anymore. We are capable of belonging in FBS.

So desperately hoping we can find a conference home in the near future that makes sense for us and elevates the program to where it wants to be (none of this CUSA/new former-FCS schools football-only conference nonsense).

Reaction Score

UConn @ #90 (Preseason rank was #129): “Last year’s No. 131, UConn, turned things around in Jim Mora’s first season and reached a bowl game, giving hope to everyone that a fix is possible.”

1673374096046.png

Reaction Score

Ahead of BCU at #115.

It's a start. Would love to be inside Top 50 by end of next season. Win 7-8 regular season games and win a bowl game and it's reasonable.

Agreed that some teams ranked below us we'd have a difficult time with to say the least, but to show a recruit that we beat the "#22 in the nation..."(Fresno). (But also lost to Ball State...) Kids are pretty hip to all these rankings etc., but if that's not a "Come here, get a chance to get On the field with a Proven HC and continue UConn's march Upward", that's a Real Pitch.

Reaction Score
That's great recognition but getting to #50 or thereabouts, as some stated was their hope for the next year, is going to take more (and better) players.

I looked at BYU's roster during a game and saw what appeared to be double digit numbers of players for most positions. Maybe they get a roster exemption due to their "mission" requirements, or maybe there's lots of Walk-ons, but whatever the reason they had 122 this year.

They listed RB and FB separately but you could say they also have double digit running backs.....unless the FB's are only allowed to block.:rolleyes:

-5 QB's (one junior and 4 frosh)
-14 WR
-6 TE
-8 RB
-2 FB (one also listed as TE)
-19 OL
-4 P/K (1 P, 1K, 2 P/K)
-13 LB
-21 DL
-27 DB
-3 LS

Reaction Score
awesome. while i still see a bunch of teams i HIGHLY doubt we'd beat, ranked beneath us, the specific number isn't what i'm paying attention to, but rather the portion of the ranking.

To be firmly placed between 50 and 100 at the end of the year, would have been a dream in august, and to have accomplished that in reality leaves this fan speechless. We're in the mix, and we're not a runt anymore. We are capable of belonging in FBS.

So desperately hoping we can find a conference home in the near future that makes sense for us and elevates the program to where it wants to be (none of this CUSA/new former-FCS schools football-only conference nonsense).
Couldn’t agree more. The goal of this program should be clear: to obtain and accept an offer to join the ACC as a full member. Power 5 or bust. Anything else is the American all over again.

Reaction Score
I believe 90 than I do 76 but I encourage sports writers to say all kinds of beneficial things

Reaction Score
I believe 90 than I do 76 but I encourage sports writers to say all kinds of beneficial things
Fair comment. We really didn’t perform well against Army or Marshall. The wheels started coming off IMO. I do think we were playing near our max with the personnel we had. Need to keep upgrading.

Reaction Score
Fair comment. We really didn’t perform well against Army or Marshall. The wheels started coming off IMO. I do think we were playing near our max with the personnel we had. Need to keep upgrading.
If we’re being honest that game was lost because we essentially didn’t have a quarterback. Unsure why that wasn’t a top priority in the portal. Maybe it was and I’m misinformed but it would seem to me they’re somewhat in a New York Jets type predicament.

Reaction Score
Confidence in Roberson could be a reason for our lack of QB signings. I can hope.

I’d also love to know what the staff really think of Tyler Phommachanh. If they think he’s a good QB, I’d feel better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Confidence in Roberson could be a reason for our lack of QB signings. I can hope.

I’d also love to know what the staff really think of Tyler Phommachanh. If they think he’s a good QB, I’d feel better.

This may sound awkward but I wouldn't mind if there was a fully healthy Roberson, a fully healthy Tyler Phommachanh and a fully prepared Zion Turner come fall camp and none of them end up as the starter.

Reaction Score
This may sound awkward but I wouldn't mind if there was a fully healthy Roberson, a fully healthy Tyler Phommachanh and a fully prepared Zion Turner come fall camp and none of them end up as the starter.
That's not awkward... let's not forget the talented freshman QB Tucker, who Schiano offered, is coming in for spring camp... especially since we played one all last year. Hopefully Mora pulls another experienced QB that will push the group.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I get what you are saying. I like all 3 but if someone else beats them out it would be a good sign of progress.

Reaction Score

I get what you are saying. I like all 3 but if someone else beats them out it would be a good sign of progress.

I wouldn't either. I feel like we have a pretty good team. Even this past season we could have won a few more games with an average FBS QB, which is shocking when you think about it. Shirreffs probably could have led this team to 8-9 wins.

I'm not at all worried about the feelings of the existing players when it comes to recruiting. We need to win now for a lot of reasons beyond the football field.

Reaction Score
Too many people dismissing Tucker McDonald. He’s very talented, I can definitely see him in the mix for QB1.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't either. I feel like we have a pretty good team. Even this past season we could have won a few more games with an average FBS QB, which is shocking when you think about it. Shirreffs probably could have led this team to 8-9 wins.

I'm not at all worried about the feelings of the existing players when it comes to recruiting. We need to win now for a lot of reasons beyond the football field.
Or David Pindell.

I am, but not above the team-the team comes first. You and everyone here heard Jim Mora's blunt assessment about how more investment needs to made to this football program to become special and that he didn't leave retirement to be mediocre and 0.500. Well, in the same way, QB play for this team needs to be vastly upgraded if UConn football is going to become special-that's a fact.

Whether that is through getting a high level transfer, if that is simply Zion Turner making vast improvements, or a QB already on the roster displaying a high level, I don't care.

If UConn could get a transfer QB like the one Syracuse got in Garrett Schraeder, a guy who was on a SEC team but felt neglected to due to lack of playing time, that would be ideal for UConn, IMO.

Reaction Score
Too many people dismissing Tucker McDonald. He’s very talented, I can definitely see him in the mix for QB1.
I don’t know anything about him. I am running on the presumption that a freshman from Worcester isn’t going to be any better than Zion out the gate.

Reaction Score
I don’t know anything about him. I am running on the presumption that a freshman from Worcester isn’t going to be any better than Zion out the gate.
Agreed. With that, let's see what he can do. The starter for the opener vs. NC State should be the person that gives us the best chance to win.

Reaction Score
Hey, he is from Holden, not Worcester!

Reaction Score
At least the dude has experience throwing and is taller. Kid would throw like 5 touchdowns a game and 300+ yards, sometimes he would do that in the first half and be pulled. I understand he played against completely different competition, but also had less around him to work with. Either way its probably not wise to throw a freshman in there, but he had insane production in high school throwing the ball, as opposed to Zion who did not.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Ahead of BCU at #115.

North Carolina Football GIF by UNC Tar Heels

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom