Wendy Davis has a new coaching job | The Boneyard

Wendy Davis has a new coaching job

Reaction Score
Would be nice if one day they honor that 1991team in a pregame ceremony at Gampel. Who knows, maybe in 2021 would be fitting.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
This is a repeat: Wendy was a senior [I think] in my first year of UConn fandom. $5 tickets at the door.....pretty much sit anywhere you want. The team was decent but not a national level type squad....Rebecca a frosh....played off the bench.

Wendy could shoot....really shoot! Three point land. One game there were a few men's players watching.
They looked disinterested...downright bored. Wendy came down and hit a three. A couple of players glanced at each other.
Within a minute she comes down and hits another. A lot more glances. Within a couple of minutes she hits number 3....number 4.....number 5....all in a row. By this point all the men's players were on their feet....high 5-ing...punching the air....yelling. All very cool! Any kind of list of all-time UConn three-shooters has to include Wendy.

Reaction Score
Dbmill, Wendy Davis was a star player in the late 80s where I lived. She was gifted academically as well as basketball gifted. However, I believe she also worked hard to supplement those gifts. I have told this story before, but I know that after Wendy committed to UConn, she took a summer job with our local utility, not behind a desk, but out in the field. She wanted to strengthen herself for those three point shots she knew she would be taking with regularity in college. The rest they say is history.

Reaction Score
This is a repeat: Wendy was a senior [I think] in my first year of UConn fandom. $5 tickets at the door.....pretty much sit anywhere you want. The team was decent but not a national level type squad....Rebecca a frosh....played off the bench.

Wendy could shoot....really shoot! Three point land. One game there were a few men's players watching.
They looked disinterested...downright bored. Wendy came down and hit a three. A couple of players glanced at each other.
Within a minute she comes down and hits another. A lot more glances. Within a couple of minutes she hits number 3....number 4.....number 5....all in a row. By this point all the men's players were on their feet....high 5-ing...punching the air....yelling. All very cool! Any kind of list of all-time UConn three-shooters has to include Wendy.

I've told my story with UConn women's basketball before, but here is a very quick summary. As a student at UConn, I went to a bunch of games at the old field house from 1983 to 1985. I started going because I was looking for cheap entertainment (nothing is cheaper than free admission), but I quickly grew to like the game and got enamored of the play of players like Leigh Curl, Peggy Walsh, and others. That was my introduction to women's basketball. I graduated and moved away. While I didn't follow the team closely at that point, I was vaguely aware of their rise in the Big East under the young Geno. I really got back into it during the first run to the final four, coming across the regional games in Philadelphia on television, followed by the final four in New Orleans. With the appearance in the final four, I was hooked.

The following year (same as yours, Lobo's first season) my wife and I started to attend games regularly and listening to other games at the time on WHUS. We've been season ticket holders starting with the first NCAA championship season. But yes, that first season of watching games I was wowed by Davis and her great three point shooting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom