Well, so much for Mo'Ne...The Globetrotters got there first! | The Boneyard

Well, so much for Mo'Ne...The Globetrotters got there first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
And I only saw part of the article,but she was in the news - in a very positive way - for her involvement in something to do with the old "Negro Leagues", one of a group of athletes that are touring in an old (real) bus of that era and visiting various historic museums, etc. bringing attention to that history. Article I saw was noting that she had just met Henry Aaron on the tour.

Reaction Score
She should heed Satchel Paige's advice:

"Don't look back. Somebody might be gainin' on you."
Yes but he was still pitching at 60 plus. Amazing guy Satch--a real favorite of mine. A fantastic relief as he aged, but terrific while getting there. Spec Shea from Naugy was Big time about the same time, but not as long. Just think if he was pitching today he'd be getting the same 3000 per (yea, sure!) and a new 1400 dollar car.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Every current major leaguer ought to donate 1% of his million dollar salary to Curt Flood, who never got a penny for busting the reserve clause. Now THERE is a hero!!

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Mo'Ne and her family are taking advantage of her fame. IMHO I doubt she suits up in a College Program and if she does it won't be UConn. She started the AAU season playing for a mid level AAU program and is now no longer playing BB. She's playing baseball.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Mo'Ne and her family are taking advantage of her fame. IMHO I doubt she suits up in a College Program and if she does it won't be UConn. She started the AAU season playing for a mid level AAU program and is now no longer playing BB. She's playing baseball.

The Harlem Globetrotters are taking advantage of her fame. Once she graduates from high school (or earlier) her baseball days are over, Her future is in basketball, probably at UConn, maybe elsewhere after graduation, as a pro.

Although, come to think about it, there is room on the Red Sox roster for a pitcher with upside.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
This was very predictable! Based on her, her coaches and parents past statement as to why she didn't play AAU earlier. Playing AAU for someone who was playing at such a low level of competitive of basketball as her is essential. Playing AAU ( even mid level ) was probably a wake up call as to her actual level of play compared to her peers. To get better you have to challenge yourself and it appears like her mentors decided long ago that they would rather have her live in a world of pretend rather than reality.

Reaction Score
Its America good for her !

Reaction Score
She is pretty good. I hope she can play UConn in the future...

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Every current major leaguer ought to donate 1% of his million dollar salary to Curt Flood, who never got a penny for busting the reserve clause. Now THERE is a hero!!

Don Diego, I could not agree with you more. Unfortunately, Most of these youngsters playing today don't even know who Curt Flood is, or the career ending sacrifices he made to major league baseball, and those who come behind him.

Flood was a center fielder who spent 15-seasons in the major leagues playing for the Cincinnati Redlegs, St. Louis Cardinals, and Washington Senators. Unfortunately, Mr. Flood died on January 20, 1997, in Los Angeles, CA. At the time, he was married to actress Judy Pace.

He unlocked the door to free agency. A few years later, Andy Messersmith kicked it in and challenged MLB, causing the many of the changes we see today. Messersmith is most famous for his role in the historic 1975 Seitz decision which led to the downfall of Major League Baseball's reserve clause and ushered in the current era of free agency.

I had the honor of seeing Flood (during his time with St. Louis) play many times at Dodger Stadium during my youth.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I hear what you are saying. But just for this brief moment, forget the "Carnac" handle, and call me doubting Thomas. Until I hear those words come out of HER mouth, that she's no longer interested in playing BB at UConn, I'll go with what she said during her rise to stardom at the Little League games last summer.

She was emphatic about wanting to play for Geno and UConn. I'm not aware of anything that she experienced since then that killed that dream. I understand things change. Goals and aspirations are sometimes redefined as time goes on, but I need to hear it from her! As Chris Tucker suggested: I want to understand the words that are coming out of "her mouth".

She played a whole season of basketball for her high school. Now it's baseball season. Perhaps she wants to enjoy a change of pace, and return to baseball. At this point, she may be tired of basketball, and just needs a break. She is a two sport athlete that enjoys playing both sports. If time proves you right, I'll be the first to post here that you called it. Time will tell.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
1. Tribute to Curt Flood is deserved but incomplete without acknowledging Marvin Miller.

2. So the Harlem Globetrotters drafted Mo'Ne. BFD. Good publicity but meaningless. I believe she will go in the direction she chooses and go as far as her skills and motivation permit. We all wish her well so long as she avoids any college in Tennessee.

Reaction Score
She played a whole season of basketball for her high school. Now it's baseball season. Perhaps she wants to enjoy a change of pace, and return to baseball. At this point, she may be tired of basketball, and just needs a break. She is a two sport athlete that enjoys playing both sports. If time proves you right, I'll be the first to post here that you called it. Time will tell.
She is a 3-sport athlete who plays soccer too. She herself has stated basketball is her favorite. I think it's better for younger kids to get the variety instead of burning out on one sport by the time they get to high school (she played for her high school, but was not actual in high school yet). If she's really that good an athlete, she'll be fine. All indications are that she is.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Except he didn't bust the reserve clause. He lost his case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom