Welcome Coach Jarren Horton | The Boneyard

Welcome Coach Jarren Horton

Reaction Score
He's replacing Jon Wholly on our staff on D. I believe he's the son of former NFL player & NFL DC Ray Horton. If I wrong, somebody correct Me. I don't think so though. Sounds like a nice piece to add to the staff since he's been around pro ball with his dad.

Reaction Score
He's replacing Jon Wholly on our staff on D. I believe he's the son of former NFL player & NFL DC Ray Horton. If I wrong, somebody correct Me. I don't think so though. Sounds like a nice piece to add to the staff since he's been around pro ball with his dad.

He is... Jarren was also the one of the Steeler's ball boys when Spanos and his dad were coaching with the Steelers

Reaction Score
Something wasn’t working with Wholley. Something worked well with Todd Orlando.

It’s about solid attacking LBs and notable recruiting success. Wholley seemed to have to right arc of career through Fordham. We just have been good at that position and he never showed pizzazz in bringing in kids.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I can't read the article from the Courant, could someone tell me why he left? I guess I should fire up my desktop on go online...not going to pay to read the courant...

Reaction Score
Did folks see our play at the LB position the last two years?

Something had to be done.

Reaction Score
I can't read the article from the Courant, could someone tell me why he left? I guess I should fire up my desktop on go online...not going to pay to read the courant...

Just read it incognito

Reaction Score
You have to see Wholley leaving as the continuation of Crocker’s exit. LBs. DBs. The worst defense

When Spanos was hired, Crocker & Cox was gone. Perkins - a known entity to Edsall respected for his stature as a mentor broadly - was easy. But Spanos was handed the keys. The Wholley weeks thru Spring Practice clearly was a descending moment to letting Spanos have more control. And picking his own.

Reaction Score
I understand that G5 programs are always going to be susceptible to losing their best and brightest, but it is my concern with acquiring new coaching talent. Are our finances so bad that our last 3 hires have all been young guys with ZERO FULL TIME COACHING EXPERIENCE I suspect that all 3 make appreciably less than their predecessors. We are now a training ground. When you are a developmental program (and we most definitely are one) then you need teachers.

Reaction Score
Whining

Circumstances called for raising Grad Assistants ... both of whom had resumes far beyond typical UConn/Big East GA days. I’m concerned about the QB coach & I’m hoping Edsall is prescient. Both Moyseenko and Weiss were position coaching at successful programs. Weiss elevated at UCLA. When that happened mid to late January, spring practice 10 days away, Edsall showed a sense of urgency to get guys in place

Edsall: When he came in - January 2017 - I evaluated his salary load versus Collins at Temple & known numbers at East Carolina & recent USF & UCF & Houston. We were at that level and beyond (Lashlee & Richardson).

We can be concerned because of the John Dunn narrative & offering him part of the HC $. I’d argue that Dunn jumping to the NFL tells you a lot; he was a young man on the move.

Then. Spanos. Measured against DC hires at Temple, UMass, UCF, SMU of the last two years ... Lou Spanos is a overachievement.

The arc of Edsall at UConn since 1998 shows a exemplary success in identifying talented assistants. The Crocker fail - however - has to be far & away the worst match for what we needed. I don’t think the focus should be on the resumes. We need Spanos + Giufre to be excellent now & 2019 & going forward.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I understand that G5 programs are always going to be susceptible to losing their best and brightest, but it is my concern with acquiring new coaching talent. Are our finances so bad that our last 3 hires have all been young guys with ZERO FULL TIME COACHING EXPERIENCE I suspect that all 3 make appreciably less than their predecessors. We are now a training ground. When you are a developmental program (and we most definitely are one) then you need teachers.
I really think this issue is over blown. I’d much rather have our staff sprinkled with a few dudes thinking this is their chance of a lifetime to actually coach and make a difference under the guidance of the senior coaching staff than some dudes that have been around the block six times who probably aren’t going to let Edsall/Spanos/Guifre run the program exactly the way they want.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love the enthusiasm and perspective. I wish I felt the same. A coach that has never coached QBs is going to coach a group of guys that have never played D1? I hope to be proven wrong. Go Blue!

Reaction Score
I love the enthusiasm and perspective. I wish I felt the same. A coach that has never coached QBs is going to coach a group of guys that have never played D1? I hope to be proven wrong. Go Blue!

There are so many components to a good coordinator.

There is one thing loudly expressed to us today: Both Spanos and Giufre are personalities. Strong locker room and field presence. I don't know if that is a tremendous improvement; but, we know that Lackslee + Crocker wasn't quite that. I am eternally hopeful (until about September 1) on the Huskies in 2019.

Reaction Score
I don’t care who the coaches are we better have a better product on the field next year. Seeing the schedule this year and next doesn’t get any easier

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom