Welcome back to the Big East | The Boneyard

Welcome back to the Big East

Reaction Score
I’d like to be the first to welcome y’all back home to the Big East.

While many are excited to be back, I know this is a tough pill to swallow for those that were worked up and denied that this was ever possible, ever under consideration, etc. We welcome y’all back too. CR isn’t easy.

Basketball fit is a no brainer. In Football, as I have said all along, you are still in the drivers seat. This has played out exactly as I knew was possible. Make the move on hoops, and then find your way in football.

Once the AAC comes to terms with the move, they can either be petty and cut all ties, or they can be pragmatic and negotiate a football-only position for UConn. There is not much risk to the AAC of setting a precedent that other members will follow. If that doesn’t work, just go independent. Play more independents and P5 schools. UConn controls its own destiny in football and it will not diminish future P5 potential.

Northeast rivals, NYC and MSG, full TV coverage, and a basket-ball first culture. You will add to the conference, you are wanted and valued in the Big East, and we welcome you back as a once and future conference great.

Welcome home.

Reaction Score
It’s pretty simple .... UConn can’t afford to maintain it’s football program.

UConn’s move to the Big East is necessitated by the university’s athletic department’s reported $41,000,000 deficit during 2018, which was made up for through student fees and university subsidy. The deficit has worsened dramatically since UConn joined the AAC. The eventual move of UConn’s FBS football to the FCS level (as Big East Schools Villanova, Georgetown, and Butler) will close the budget gap.

Who to blame for this setback: Richard Blumenthal.

A few years ago I had a business dealing with the senior Associate Athletic Director at an ACC school. I asked him if then Connecticut Attorney General Blumenthal’s asinine lawsuit against the ACC was a factor in my beloved UConn not being included in the ACC’s 2011 expansion and he replied “yes; Some people in the ACC have long memories”.

So yeah, UConn cannot afford to run a $41+M deficit in its Athletic Department so I accept the move to the Big East as the best current alternative for UConn athletics but I will never forget that Richard Blumenthal’s poor judgment may have forever cost UConn a seat at the Big Boy’s table.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It’s pretty simple .... UConn can’t afford to maintain it’s football program.

UConn’s move to the Big East is necessitated by the university’s athletic department’s reported $41,000,000 deficit during 2018, which was made up for through student fees and university subsidy. The deficit has worsened dramatically since UConn joined the AAC. The eventual move of UConn’s FBS football to the FCS level (as Big East Schools Villanova, Georgetown, and Butler) will close the budget gap.

Who to blame for this setback: Richard Blumenthal.

A few years ago I had a business dealing with the senior Associate Athletic Director at an ACC school. I asked him if then Connecticut Attorney General Blumenthal’s asinine lawsuit against the ACC was a factor in my beloved UConn not being included in the ACC’s 2011 expansion and he replied “yes; Some people in the ACC have long memories”.

So yeah, UConn cannot afford to run a $41+M deficit in its Athletic Department so I accept the move to the Big East as the best current alternative for UConn athletics but I will never forget that Richard Blumenthal’s poor judgment may have forever cost UConn a seat at the Big Boy’s table.

Shut up

Reaction Score

While many are excited to be back, I know this is a tough pill to swallow for those that were worked up and denied that this was ever possible, ever under consideration, etc. We welcome y’all back too. CR isn’t easy.

Basketball fit is a no brainer. In Football, as I have said all along, you are still in the drivers seat. This has played out exactly as I knew was possible. Make the move on hoops, and then find your way in football.

Once the AAC comes to terms with the move, they can either be petty and cut all ties, or they can be pragmatic and negotiate a football-only position for UConn. There is not much risk to the AAC of setting a precedent that other members will follow. If that doesn’t work, just go independent. Play more independents and P5 schools. UConn controls its own destiny in football and it will not diminish future P5 potential.

Northeast rivals, NYC and MSG, full TV coverage, and a basket-ball first culture. You will add to the conference, you are wanted and valued in the Big East, and we welcome you back as a once and future conference great.

Welcome home.
Go. Away.

Reaction Score
Welcome back UConn! You too Dean!
You don't seem to get it. There are times when its best to just let folks sort things out by themselves. The biggest mistake anyone could ever make is to come between family members during a time of disagreement.
Many of us are trying to sort through this situation, and what we don't need is some outsider passive/aggressive BS to stoke the flames. Call back in a couple of days, but now is just not the time.

Reaction Score
Sorry Dean, I didn't know it was your board. The skin is pretty thin when you are offended by a welcome.

Reaction Score
Sorry Dean, I didn't know it was your board. The skin is pretty thin when you are offended by a welcome.
Gee, I wonder why we might be a little on edge? We get it, you're trolling. Good on you. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Gee, I wonder why we might be a little on edge? We get it, you're trolling. Good on you. :mad:
I’m happy for UConn and for the Big East. Most UConn folks are happy. Just accept an honest welcome home and don’t be petty.

Reaction Score
I’m happy for UConn and for the Big East. Most UConn folks are happy. Just accept an honest welcome home and don’t be petty.
Yeah, this is obviously beyond your comprehension. Thank you for your interest in UConn Athletics.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You’re a sickly troll. UConn hoop only fans are happy. Grads and fans of all sports are not.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You’re a sickly troll. UConn hoop only fans are happy. Grads and fans of all sports are not.
My wife and I are alums, my daughter is a sophomore and my son is a die-hard on this board. Those of us who care would rather see better hoops than the continued drowning in the AAC in all sports. Football is killing itself.

Reaction Score
Fans have clamored to return to the Big East, where they view UConn as a more natural fit. When news broke on Twitter late Friday evening and early Saturday, it was met by nearly unanimous approval from UConn fans.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
My wife and I are alums, my daughter is a sophomore and my son is a die-hard on this board. Those of us who care would rather see better hoops than the continued drowning in the AAC in all sports. Football is killing itself.
I respect your opinion. Those of us who care means what? That we should jettison football? I care about UConn. Not hoops, football, soccer, baseball, Just UConn. Wish alumni would embrace that

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I respect your opinion. Those of us who care means what? That we should jettison football? I care about UConn. Not hoops, football, soccer, baseball, Just UConn. Wish alumni would embrace that

If that's really how you feel, then you'd be fine with UConn lacrosse and UConn esports in place of UConn football.

I'll never stop being a UConn fan. But thinking we were every going to be P5 based on happenings of the last few years was ridiculous. I'm fine if we went back to FCS or if we have to play New Mexico State every year. It's still UConn.

EDIT: nvm, I misread your comment at first. Turns out I actually agree with you!

Reaction Score
Fans have clamored to return to the Big East, where they view UConn as a more natural fit. When news broke on Twitter late Friday evening and early Saturday, it was met by nearly unanimous approval from UConn fans.

In the short-term, this may make basketball fans along with some alumni happy and save money for the non-revenue teams; but, it's not a good match for both long-term and big picture reasons.

UConn is a state, land-grant University located with a significant focus on scientific research at both undergraduate and graduate levels located in a rural location with over 30,000 students. The new Big East is made-up of all private universities, most of which are affiliated with one branch or the other of a Christian faith, located in mostly urban locations with a heavy focus on undergraduate education and an average student population of 10,000. UConn has 10,000 more students than the next largest member, DePaul with 23,000, and more than 5 of the smaller new Big East members combined. UConn has a medical school, only Georgetown, Creighton and Seton Hall (new as of 2015) have such.

UConn's goals, philosophies, needs, and challenges are significantly different than of the new Big East's members. Its a key why 3 or the pre-football members of the original Big East that 'looked' the most like UConn (BC, Syracuse, and Pitt) left and are not coming back to the new Big East. Such a division did not work well for the old Big East over the long-term and will not work well for a re-marriage between UConn and the new Big East now.

Reaction Score
In the short-term, this may make basketball fans along with some alumni happy and save money for the non-revenue teams; but, it's not a good match for both long-term and big picture reasons.

UConn is a state, land-grant University located with a significant focus on scientific research at both undergraduate and graduate levels located in a rural location with over 30,000 students. The new Big East is made-up of all private universities, most of which are affiliated with one branch or the other of a Christian faith, located in mostly urban locations with a heavy focus on undergraduate education and an average student population of 10,000. UConn has 10,000 more students than the next largest member, DePaul with 23,000, and more than 5 of the smaller new Big East members combined. UConn has a medical school, only Georgetown, Creighton and Seton Hall (new as of 2015) have such.

UConn's goals, philosophies, needs, and challenges are significantly different than of the new Big East's members. Its a key why 3 or the pre-football members of the original Big East that 'looked' the most like UConn (BC, Syracuse, and Pitt) left and are not coming back to the new Big East. Such a division did not work well for the old Big East over the long-term and will not work well for a re-marriage between UConn and the new Big East now.
2 of the 3 schools you mentioned are private, and if you add them together they are smaller than uconn, so it doesn’t sound like a convincing position.

The P5 is a mix of universities.

BC and Cuse are private. Norwestern, Duke, Vandy, Stanford, USC, Wake, Baylor, Notre Dame, Miami.

The important factor for the Big East is basketball-first. UConn qualifies. Welcome home.

Reaction Score

And that's what this Nova fan doesn't seem to understand. Some of us are happy in the short term but we realize what this means in the long term. Realistically all hopes of a P5 invite are out the window whenever this deal goes down.
Nova has never had that kind of situation. Their football has never gone past the FCS stage, whereas we actually had success in a P5 conference and were hoping for a rerun or at least something viable in the future.
To say we're torn doesn't mean we're all against the move, its that we have to adjust to this game-changing moment. And that's best done without some outsider injecting snide remarks into the argument. You'd hope he'd show some class and back the frick off for a minute!

Reaction Score
I'm a grad and very happy. It is sad we couldn't save football but it was a sinking ship with no money in the state to help them out. So unless you live in CT and want to pay higher taxes to help them out there isn't much that can be done.

Reaction Score

Welcome home.

Hey Georgetown, Villanova, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Providence. So good to see you again. Now go #%%% yourselves.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
"this is a move almost all UConn fans are extremely excited about. It’s a great fit for men’s and women’s basketball and will be a win-win for both the school and the league."

Manager - The UConn Blog

Reaction Score
2 of the 3 schools you mentioned are private, and if you add them together they are smaller than uconn, so it doesn’t sound like a convincing position.

The P5 is a mix of universities.

BC and Cuse are private. Norwestern, Duke, Vandy, Stanford, USC, Wake, Baylor, Notre Dame, Miami.

The important factor for the Big East is basketball-first. UConn qualifies. Welcome home.

And that is the issue. This move, if it happens, is a combination of a basketball brand saving move and a route to stop some of the bleeding out of the athletic budget. Over the long-term , its a mess. Outside of a few specific degrees, such as physical therapy at Providence, UConn is not competing against the new Big Members for research dollars and students, especially graduate and doctoral students. In those critical areas, UConn is still competing with BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, etc. That is where the B1G, especially, and the ACC and PAC to lesser degrees, has been so successful. The conference links similar Universities who share the same vision and goals athletically and academically.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And that is the issue. This move, if it happens, is a combination of a basketball brand saving move and a route to stop some of the bleeding out of the basketball budget. Over the long-term , its a mess. Outside of a few specific desgrees, such as physical therapy at Providence, UConn is not competing against the new Big Members for research dollars and students, espeically graduate and docoural students. In those critical areas, UConn is still competing with BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, etc. That is where the B1G, espeically, and the ACC and PAC to lesser degrees, has been so successful. The conference links similar Universities who share the same vision and goals athletically and academically.
Head bang

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom