OT: - Weirdest ingredient in your kitchen? | The Boneyard

OT: Weirdest ingredient in your kitchen?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was just putting away some dried pickled mustard greens that I use for only one dish - Dan Dan noodles - and thought this would be a good topic for an OT thread. I have lots of other offbeat stuff that I use for different cuisines, but I believe that's the only thing I keep around specifically for a single dish.

So other than Jamaican pimento branches, what's the strangest/most uncommon ingredient you've got in your kitchen cupboard/pantry? And what do you use it for?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I guess we keep a pretty standard kitchen as I had to look through cabinets to come up with something. I guess the most unusual, particularly by CT standards would be ground sumac. It's typically sprinkled on rice in middle eastern dishes.

We also keep pickle juice after the pickles are gone as pickle juice does an amazing job of curing indigestion and heart burn. 2 or 3 tablespoons and 15 minutes later, all gone - try it sometime.

Not exactly unusual, but I would guess uncommon would be anchovies and capers. Always have supply of both. Anchovies for Caesar's dressing and Putanesca, and capers for Putanesca or chicken sauces.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I guess we keep a pretty standard kitchen as I had to look through cabinets to come up with something. I guess the most unusual, particularly by CT standards would be ground sumac. It's typically sprinkled on rice in middle eastern dishes.

We also keep pickle juice after the pickles are gone as pickle juice does an amazing job of curing indigestion and heart burn. 2 or 3 tablespoons and 15 minutes later, all gone - try it sometime.

Not exactly unusual, but I would guess uncommon would be anchovies and capers. Always have supply of both. Anchovies for Caesar's dressing and Putanesca, and capers for Putanesca or chicken sauces.
Mix mayonnaise, ketchup, diced pickles, pickle juice, and a little mustard for your burgers next time.

Reaction Score

*jleves rummaging in the kitchen*
Mrs. JLeves: “What the hell are you doing in there J?”
JLeves: “What’s the weirdest ingredient we have honey?”
Mrs: “What? I don’t know, why?”
JLeves: “Boneyard.”
Mrs: “Oh, probably the sumac.”

Reaction Score

I marinate chicken in garlic and leftover pickle brine. It’s awesome.

Reaction Score
I have 4 different mayonnaises, 4 different ketchups, 4 different mustards and an array of hot sauces.

My unique ingredient is homemade Indian spice blend a co worker gave me. I have no idea what is in it. i will rub it with oil on chicken or potatoes. It’s like z’atar with some heat. I use it sparingly.

Reaction Score
GF is born here but mother is puerto rican. I'm always amazed by how much plantain they use in food.

She makes this fried and mashed plantain dish that tastes like sweeter, softer mashed potatoes. Sooo good. I ask for it at least 2x a week

Reaction Score
The most unusual thing I have in my kitchen is not really odd at all, but I imagine most people are unfamiliar with garlic scapes. I just picked them out of my gardens and they are great in stir fries and pestos. It is basically the stalk that the garlic flower would eventually form off of and they are a more delicate garlic taste with a different texture.

I also have the leftover juice from pepperoncinis. I drink some strange supplements and it is a good chaser.

Reaction Score
Beef heart and a big ass beef tongue - not really that odd, but I've never seen either of these in someone freezer before. I've got two hearts just waiting for the right opportunity to grill them and the tongue I'm not quite sure how I'm going to cook it yet.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Myself, my wife won't let me near the food or range until it's ready to eat.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Done the pickle brine thing and as crazy as it sounds it is amazing.

Pickle brine (with buttermilk) is the marinade for Nashville hot chicken, so I can see how it works well. Never tried on it's own, but might be doing so soon.

The most unusual thing I have in my kitchen is not really odd at all, but I imagine most people are unfamiliar with garlic scapes. I just picked them out of my gardens and they are great in stir fries and pestos. It is basically the stalk that the garlic flower would eventually form off of and they are a more delicate garlic taste with a different texture.

I've never grown the things but buy them at farmer's markets in late spring. Season for them is very short, at least in Pittsburgh. But yeah, love scapes. And ramps. And fiddleheads. All great with quick sautee or stir-fry.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Horseradish cheese dip. Recommended by a friend to clear my sinuses. It works.

Reaction Score
Human brain (frozen). Stir fry.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Beef heart and a big ass beef tongue - not really that odd, but I've never seen either of these in someone freezer before. I've got two hearts just waiting for the right opportunity to grill them and the tongue I'm not quite sure how I'm going to cook it yet.
Tongue (cow's) is a big delicacy in NYC Jewish deli's. When I was engaged my then fiance came over my house for dinner. When she asked my Irish mother what was for dinner she said "tongue" and my fiance laughed. She went over to the a large pot of water on the stove took off the lid and looked in and saw this like 5 lb
tongue in steaming water and almost passed out. It's really delicious and tastes kind of like ham only not as salty!

Reaction Score
Tongue (cow's) is a big delicacy in NYC Jewish deli's. When I was engaged my then fiance came over my house for dinner. When she asked my Irish mother what was for dinner she said "tongue" and my fiance laughed. She went over to the a large pot of water on the stove took off the lid and looked in and saw this like 5 lb
tongue in steaming water and almost passed out. It's really delicious and tastes kind of like ham only not as salty!

Tongue tacos at a legit Mexican spot are amazing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom