Weird basketball commentator clichés | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Weird basketball commentator clichés

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
"Dribble drive" - there is no other way to drive. If you are driving to the basket, you must be dribbling. Doris LOVES this one!

Reaction Score
Loved Al McGuire expression when he referred to the last few minutes of a game as BLT referencing his Marquette PG Butch Lee. Also referred to centers as aircraft carriers.

Reaction Score
When they refer to turnovers or missed free throws at the end of the game as critical how bout at the beginning of games they can hurt as much

Reaction Score
My top 3:

1. "There's a timeout on the floor."
As opposed to those timeouts that occur, say, on the ceiling or underground.

2. "From downtown!" (referring to a 3-point shot)
So the basket is located in the suburbs?

3. "She can really score the basketball."
But can she score a bowling ball? How about a watermelon?
If

you remember DOWN TOWN BROWN. What would you call him if no one used : He sunk that one from DOWN TOWN. (I think there were 2 downtown browns).
She's throws up Bricks---isn't this a basket ball game?
She kissed that one off the glass---(is kissing allowed in basketball? )
It rimmed out! Is there such a thing as rimming in?

Reaction Score
Loved Al McGuire expression when he referred to the last few minutes of a game as BLT referencing his Marquette PG Butch Lee. Also referred to centers as aircraft carriers.
Al was a good if not great coach. I could listen to him speak on the game for hours. He and his brother were fine players. His daughter or niece played for UVA.

Reaction Score
Hearing the Doris Burke (I think it's her) talk about a players' "comportment". I didn't mind it the first 50 times I heard her say it, but had enough by 51...
When it's the first new word you learned in 50 years you tend to over use it. I comported this.

Reaction Score
A young psychoanalyst can make a pretty penny (nice cliche ) getting referrals at the BY.
I have my own psycho-analyst. She analyzed me when she was age 10 and hasn't changed the diagnosis--

Reaction Score
Take a season. Write down what a player says to Holly or Justine (or whoever it is this year) and then read it all back at the end. It’s such nonsense, but in defense of those poor kids, what are they supposed to say? So we get a bunch of basketball
Cliches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom