Week 7 preview (Dec. 20-26) | The Boneyard

Week 7 preview (Dec. 20-26)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This is a pregame and postgame discussion thread. Per rules of the board owner, no commenting about games in progress is allowed. For "in-game" comments, use the Chat. Feel free to leave a post here to invite others to join you in Chat.

Rankings are noted according to the Boneyard poll. Most notable matchups are highlighted in bold.

Please chime in with any corrections or additions.

Mon., Dec. 20

Florida Gulf Coast vs. Michigan State (11a, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
#19 South Florida vs. West Virginia (1:15p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
Texas Tech vs. Ole Miss (1:15p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
UTSA at #24 Texas A&M (3p, SECN+)​
San Francisco at Colorado (3p, live stream).​
High Point vs. Dayton (3:30p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
#22 LSU vs. Clemson (5:45p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
East Tennessee State at #8 Tennessee (6:30p, SECN+)​
South Dakota State at Kansas City (7p)​

Tues., Dec. 21

#6 Maryland at Coppin State (11a)​
West Virginia vs. Michigan State (11a, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
#17 Duke at Charleston Southern (12p, ESPN+)​
South Alabama at #13 Georgia (12p, SECN+)​
Toledo at Missouri State (12p, ESPN+)​
Wagner at Seton Hall (12p, FloHoops)​
Vanderbilt at Saint Joseph’s (12p, ESPN+)​
Boston University at #15 Georgia Tech (1p, ACCNX)​
Alabama State at #23 North Carolina (1p, ACCNX)​
#19 South Florida vs. Ole Miss (1:15p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
Florida Gulf Coast vs. High Point (1:15p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
Creighton at Arkansas (2p, SECN+)​
IUPUI at #16 Iowa (3p, BTN+)​
#22 LSU vs. Texas Tech (3:30p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach​
Dayton vs. Clemson (3:30p, FloHoops). At West Palm Beach.​
Ohio State at San Diego State (4p).​
#2 Stanford at #1 South Carolina (7p, ESPN2)
Wright State at #7 Indiana (7p, BTN+)​
Utah at #21 Oklahoma (7p).​
#20 BYU at Montana State (9p, ESPN+)​
Oregon at Northwestern (9p, BTN)​
USC at Long Beach State (10p, ESPN+)​

Wed., Dec. 22

#12 Texas at Princeton (12p, ESPN+)​
Eastern Michigan at #11 Michigan (1p, BTN+)​
Wyoming at Nebraska (1p, BTN+)​
Missouri at Illinois (1p, BTN+)​
Virginia at Texas Southern (1p)​
Cincinnati at Marquette (2p, FloHoops)​
South Dakota at Kansas City (3p)​
#18 Notre Dame at DePaul (8:30p, FS1)​

Thu., Dec. 23

Southern Illinois at #7 Indiana (1p, BTN+)​
Eastern Illinois at Wisconsin (1p, BTN+)​
Minnesota at Drake (3p, ESPN+)​

No games Dec. 24-26

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Amazing that Clouden went off for 50, and Michigan State still fell to FGCU in Double OT. It probably doesn’t help that Clouden only got 34 other points from her teammates.

Reaction Score
Just finished watching FGCU & Mich State on FloHoops. FGCU wins 84-83 in double OT.

It was the Nia Clouden - Kirsten Bell show for sure. Clouden scored 50 points on 17-28 shooting. Bell scored 28 on 12-28. One thing to note with Bell is that she sat for most of the 1st half with 3 fouls that she picked up in the 1st quarter.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
FGCU has a showdown with FGCU North tomorrow. Too bad its on Flohoops. The High Point Head Coach, both Assistants, and the DBO are all ex-players and or Coaches at FGCU... so they obviously play the same way. @Plebe might remember the new DBO at HPU... Nasrin Ulel. :mad::oops:

Reaction Score
Amazing that Clouden went off for 50, and Michigan State still fell to FGCU in Double OT. It probably doesn’t help that Clouden only got 34 other points from her teammates.
Agreed. Roster depth has and will continue to be the challenge for the team this season. Losing 3 scorers that could be relied upon doesn't help their situation.

Ekh struggled with only 2 points today from the FT line. Hageman had 9 with 6 assists. Farquar and Smith combined for 9. Parks came off the bench with 14.

Joiner, who can help with scoring didn't travel with the team due to concussion protocols. Mich State didn't go too deep with the bench either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Agreed. Roster depth has and will continue to be the challenge for the team this season. Losing 3 scorers that could be relied upon doesn't help their situation.

Ekh struggled with only 2 points today from the FT line. Hageman had 9 with 6 assists. Farquar and Smith combined for 9. Parks came off the bench with 14.

Joiner, who can help with scoring didn't travel with the team due to concussion protocols. Mich State didn't go too deep with the bench either.

You're not a Michigan State fan are you?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Tuesday 12/21/21 Cal Baptist Lancers 8-2 travel to Cal Poly 1-7
Last out of conference game for the Lancers.

Cal Poly lost to Louisville, just like UConn did.

Game is 1pm PST and on ESPN+

Reaction Score
You're not a Michigan State fan are you?
No, but I do follow the BIG10 more closely than the other P5 conferences. Michigan and Michigan State are not far from where I live if I want to see games live.

The style of play in the BIG10 conference also comes across more physical to me. I consider it the "black and blue" division out of the Power 5.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No, but I do follow the BIG10 more closely than the other P5 conferences. Michigan and Michigan State are not far from where I live if I want to see games live.

The style of play in the BIG10 conference also comes across more physical to me. I consider it the "black and blue" division out of the Power 5.

Ok... cool. I have problems with Michigan State.

Reaction Score
FGCU has a showdown with FGCU North tomorrow. Too bad its on Flohoops. The High Point Head Coach, both Assistants, and the DBO are all ex-players and or Coaches at FGCU... so they obviously play the same way. @Plebe might remember the new DBO at HPU... Nasrin Ulel. :mad::oops:
It's scary that I was about to post about that.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If UVA loses at Texas Southern...... they might not let Coach Tina Thompson on the flight back home. I was thinking thats an odd opponent for UVA, but I see that TSU is coached by Cynthia Cooper.

Now you've peaked my curiousity/nosiness. This isn't land grant related is it? ;)

Naw.... I love me some Land Grants (most of them anyway).... just have a bad taste from the 2009 women's tournament... and no amount of burgers, cheap wine, cheesecake, tacos, blt's... can get that taste out of my mouth. :mad:

Reaction Score
If UVA loses at Texas Southern...... they might not let Coach Tina Thompson on the flight back home. I was thinking thats an odd opponent for UVA, but I see that TSU is coached by Cynthia Cooper.

Naw.... I love me some Land Grants (most of them anyway).... just have a bad taste from the 2009 women's tournament... and no amount of burgers, cheap wine, cheesecake, tacos, blt's... can get that taste out of my mouth. :mad:
Ah, I understand and can respect that. The fact that cheap wine is a go to to cleanse the pallet is a tad more concerning to me.

Not an expert but found cheap wine does more harm than good, but that opinion is skewed from my personal experience. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If UVA loses at Texas Southern...... they might not let Coach Tina Thompson on the flight back home.
I watched part of their game against NC State. They hung in there for a surprisingly long time. Certainly appeared to be a better team in that game than what they've shown most of the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Fresno St. lost again, dropped to 4-7, and they haven't exactly played a murder's row. I keep thinking they should be better, but I guess they just aren't. Maybe Maddi Utti was always the secret sauce there and not the Cavinders. Her new team is 7-1 so far this year. Anyway this L was courtesy of Portland, who after a disappointing season last year improved to 10-2 thus far.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Colorado applied the soul crushing defense to another opponent, and found some offense to go with it. 80-56 over San Francisco. Maybe most impressive thing is they shut down Krimili, who I've seen light up several Pac 12 teams.

Hollingshed and Miller are proving to be a nice 1-2 punch. 42 pts/17 reb combined today...on a nice 16-22 shooting.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Looks like Colorado applied the soul crushing defense to another opponent, and found some offense to go with it. 80-56 over San Francisco. Maybe most impressive thing is they shut down Krimili, who I've seen light up several Pac 12 teams.

Hollingshed and Miller are proving to be a nice 1-2 punch. 42 pts/17 reb combined today...on a nice 16-22 shooting.
Didn't San Francisco lose to Cal by like 30?

Seriously, that OOC schedule for Colorado makes Charmin seem rough.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

When I saw this... I thought you were referring to the head coach of Cal.. :confused: Then I reread it and understood.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score

They did. And Cal held them to 41. Talk about soul crushing defense.

But then USF played Washington St. fairly close and thumped USC...before losing to CSU Fullerton.

It's been pretty hard to get a handle on most teams this year. Buffs start out conference play at the Oregon schools, which might give us a better idea how good they are or aren't...except neither of the Oregon schools are what they used to be.

Plebe

Reaction Score
They did. And Cal held them to 41. Talk about soul crushing defense.

But then USF played Washington St. fairly close and thumped USC...before losing to CSU Fullerton.

It's been pretty hard to get a handle on most teams this year. Buffs start out conference play at the Oregon schools, which might give us a better idea how good they are or aren't...except neither of the Oregon schools are what they used to be.
What's wild is that Colorado might well be the 3rd best team in the Pac-12 right now ... but that's not even saying much. Presumably Oregon and UCLA will get better as their injured get healthy and reintegrated. Oregon State will probably get better as well as they figure out their pieces and their young players come along. Not sure what Washington State's excuse would be. And that's the totality of last year's Pac-12 contingent in the NCAAT.

Heck, for all we know Utah is just as good or better than Colorado, as their only two losses have come against teams better than anyone Colorado has played.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Heck, for all we know Utah is just as good or better than Colorado, as their only two losses have come against teams better than anyone Colorado has played.
For the most part Utah has looked really good against bad teams. Losses to Gonzaga and BYU brought them back to reality though. Will be interesting to see if they can be competitive @ Oklahoma. Cal is similar, been hammering some teams, but couldn't do much against Ole Miss or Arkansas.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom