Week 2 play

Reaction Score
Day 1 recap of (near) upsets:

TxA&M escapes UL Monroe 64-57

Vanderbilt nearly loses to Texas A&M C-C 71-66

Winthrop upsets #18 Saint Mary 61-59

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cincy looked really good last night. Drake is a one of the better teams in the MVC and Cincy completely dominated Drake late in the 1st half.

I really like the guys Brannen brought in as transfers. Vogt and Sorolla are no-nonsense bigs who remind me a lot of Jack Salt...play tough D, hard working, good pick-and-roll players. The other Cumberland is a microwave scorer who replaces Cane Broome perfectly.

The biggest surprise is Chris McNeal. Pretty pedestrian stats from his New Mexico and Western Kentucky days, but last night he was a confident, pesky point guard with a solid handle and limited mistakes.

Often times I'm lukewarm on coaches bringing in tons of transfer talent to retool the program they are entering, but the four guys Brannen brought in allow their younger, long-term prospects like Harvey, Adams-Woods and Diarra to develop at their own pace.

Reaction Score
Cincy looked really good last night. Drake is a one of the better teams in the MVC and Cincy completely dominated Drake late in the 1st half.

I really like the guys Brannen brought in as transfers. Vogt and Sorolla are no-nonsense bigs who remind me a lot of Jack Salt...play tough D, hard working, good pick-and-roll players. The other Cumberland is a microwave scorer who replaces Cane Broome perfectly.

The biggest surprise is Chris McNeal. Pretty pedestrian stats from his New Mexico and Western Kentucky days, but last night he was a confident, pesky point guard with a solid handle and limited mistakes.

Often times I'm lukewarm on coaches bringing in tons of transfer talent to retool the program they are entering, but the four guys Brannen brought in allow their younger, long-term prospects like Harvey, Adams-Woods and Diarra to develop at their own pace.

Yea, i saw the first half of that as well. The two bigs are much more skilled offensively than what they typically have. That Vogt kid is a monster, looks a legit 7'1 and i' bet he goes at least 275 lbs. He recruited him at Nku so i'm guessing Brannen is pretty good at developing guys as he was a project.

Reaction Score
#6 Florida upset by FSU in Gainesville...

Extends FSU winning streak over their rival to six games...

Reaction Score
It’s pretty mind blowing and frustrating to see Brennan come from a mid-major and instantly add 2 really solid transfer bigs while we struggled to even add a single one in the 3 years following a National Championship.

Don't know if this link will work but this kid is a legit 7'1 and has some skills and isn't a bean pole. He's like the 6'9 German guy they have playing tackle on the fb team, LOL:

Reaction Score
I think Cincy looks very beatable this year, and to me, a noticeable drop off from the last cpl of years. Outside of Jarron Cumberland, not a lot of scorers. They still have that tough, in your face, mentality.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
Fresh off a loss to Nicholls, Pitt is getting all it can handle from RMU.

Lets Go Bobby Mo

Reaction Score
Fresh off a loss to Nicholls, Pitt is getting all it can handle from RMU.

Lets Go Bobby Mo
Tied at half 27-27. Michigan Creighton also a great game, 4 to go in half and a 1 point game

Edit: Pitt pulls away for a big win

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Evansville up 5 on Kentucky 7 minutes into the second half...

Reaction Score
Although Trey has 16pts and 5reb I’ve been catching a little bit of the game and he is SO LAZY off the ball just standing there and is trying to go through double teams instead of passing the ball. I think Josh could go for 30 against Northeastern who has no big men. He lacks the explosiveness but still has good footwork and finishing around the net. Would be a great player if he was active around the ball and had more b-ball IQ

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think Cincy looks very beatable this year, and to me, a noticeable drop off from the last cpl of years. Outside of Jarron Cumberland, not a lot of scorers. They still have that tough, in your face, mentality.
They will win plenty of games on their D alone

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Kentucky loses to Evansville
Tough crap Squid

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Memphis' shot selection is terrible. Some of their shots are so low percentage that they are effectively turnovers. Too bad, because this is a fun game to watch.

UCF and Miami in a battle.

Reaction Score
Although Trey has 16pts and 5reb I’ve been catching a little bit of the game and he is SO LAZY off the ball just standing there and is trying to go through double teams instead of passing the ball. I think Josh could go for 30 against Northeastern who has no big men. He lacks the explosiveness but still has good footwork and finishing around the net. Would be a great player if he was active around the ball and had more b-ball IQ

Agree he could play with more passion but no denying kids going to be very good in the college game. Would’ve liked him in National Flag Blue I admit that. Wished mom liked one of our assistants :oops:

UconnU

Reaction Score
I know Memphis is going to lose this game but my god they are talented, they are going to be a tough matchup for us.

Reaction Score
Butler beats Minnesota and Michigan beats Creighton in the Gavitt Games. Big East leads 2-1. Xavier beats Missouri. I believe Creighton's loss in the first by a Big East team this year?

Mean while in AAC land East Carolina loses to App State. Memphis about to lose to Oregon. UCF losing to Miami. Tulsa and Tulane with single digits wins vs Oral Roberts and Jackson State respectively. Tulsa had lost to something called UT-Arlington in their first game.

Reaction Score
Day 2:

Evansville @ #1 Kentucky: WOW!

Kentucky 64 - 67 Evansville

Central Arkansas @ Duke: Dook creams Central Arkansas.

Central Arkansas 54 - 105 Duke

UNH @ St. John’s: UNH is better than perceived and was hanging and even leading St. John’s up until 5 to play. They’ll come to Hartford in December.

UNH 61 - 74 St. John’s

Northeastern @ UMASS: Trey scored but as I said in this thread he needs work to be great.

Northeastern 71- 80 UMASS

Pitt @ Robert Morris: Trailing 27-25 at half, Pitt pulls away in the 2nd half to win big.

Robert Morris 57 - 71 PITT

Citadel @ Georgia: Anthony Edwards carries Georgia over Citadel with 29 points. Close game down the stretch.

Citadel 86 - 95 Georgia

ECU @ App St: ECU is not that great this year... what’s new lol

ECU 62 - 68 App St

Creighton @ Michigan: Great game. Back and forth until about 8 left when Michigan started pulling away.

Creighton 69 - 79 Michigan

North Alabama @ Indiana: Indiana is pretty good. Going to be a great game at MSG in December

North Alabama 65 - 91 Indiana

Missouri @ #21 Xavier: Very close game and Xavier pulled out the win in OT.

Missouri 58 - 63 Xavier

#14 Oregon vs #13 Memphis: Wiseman played 5 mins in the 1st half but had a great 2nd half. Memphis still loses the game.

Memphis 74 - 82 Oregon

Jackson State @ Tulane: Tulane making strides and will be improved from last year.

Jackson State 79 - 88 Tulane

Alabama State @ Houston: Houston’s first game showed little signs of rust as the put up 41 to Alabama States 25 in the 1st half

Alabama State 56 - 84 Houston

New Orleans @ SMU: SMU will be carried by their guard and Forward and their forward Isiaha Mike can shoot the 3 at a high percentage.

New Orleans 64 - 77 SMU

Oral Roberts @ Tulsa: Tulsa’s nothing special but we always struggle playing away there. Hopefully that’ll change. Tulsa played a close one against a bad team but got the win.

Oral Roberts 67 - 74 Tulsa

Miami @ UCF: UCF doesn’t have that leader but they share the ball and the scoring is spread out.

UCF 70 - 79 Miami

Davidson @ Charlotte: Davidson was highly touted in the preseason and now falls to 0-2.

Davidson 58 - 71 Charlotte

#22 Auburn @ South Alabama: Very close game and Auburn able to squeak out a win by 1.

South Alabama 69 - 70 Auburn

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I know Memphis is going to lose this game but my god they are talented, they are going to be a tough matchup for us.

The Memphis shot chart is what happens when you take 3 or drive to the extreme. The mid-range was open the whole night for Memphis, but they only took 4 mid-range jumpers, making 3 of them. Memphis spent most of the night taking contested 3's or making kamikaze drives to the basket. Sometimes you need to take what the defense is giving you rather than force shots into a gameplan.

Reaction Score
Memphis' shot selection is terrible. Some of their shots are so low percentage that they are effectively turnovers. Too bad, because this is a fun game to watch.

UCF and Miami in a battle.
I question if Memphis even has any set offenses. They are talented, young, and run wild and free. Almost reminds me of the Loyola Marymount University team in the late 80s.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I question if Memphis even has any set offenses. They are talented, young, and run wild and free. Almost reminds me of the Loyola Marymount University team in the late 80s.

I will disagree with you on two points.

1) Loyola Marymount was one of the most tightly choreographed offenses in NCAA history. They are still the foundation for many fastbreak offenses in basketball today, especially at the youth level.
2) Memphis has an offense, just a boring and inflexible one. Every team above 7th grade is doing 3 or drive halfcourt offenses now, but teams have to adapt to what the defense is giving them, and Memphis didn't. So Memphis' offense was a bunch of forced threes, or crashing into the trees under the basket. Altman simply outcoached Hardaway last night.

It is easy to play defense if you only have to watch the perimeter and the basket.

I think a better example of a pickup game offense is Syracuse. Syracuse has always looked offensively like the players just met each other at the gym that day. It is a bunch of Isolations and 1-on-1 basketball.

Reaction Score
Thanks for your input. After reflecting... I agree with your points. Many of those forced threes are probably due to inexperience and forcing drives where there was no where to go. I question whether they will get better as the year progresses under Hardaway's tutelage.

UconnU

Reaction Score
I’m surprised LSU agreed to go to VCU. Look at this environment that they walked into :D

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom