Week 14 AP Poll | The Boneyard

Week 14 AP Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I applaud the voters for keeping Duke out however have they watched Providence? They're still #20, UConn received 2 votes (1 was Borges), Wichita St stayed in somehow at #25 and Nova, MD, OK, Iowa and Xavier are the top 5. UK at #22, Texas jumps in at #24, SMU is #16 and USCe, Indiana and ND were really the only 3 to receive enough votes to almost be ranked.

Reaction Score
We're sort of in a position where it will be hard to get back in and stay in barring a sustained run.

If they win both this week, they'll be on the border or in the low 20s. Then they get SMU and @Cincy. Likely they lose one of those.

If they fall back out, it would be very difficult to get back in with a loss @SMU

Now, if they go 4-0 in the next two weeks, they might be in far enough to sustain a loss on the road to SMU.

But I think it's best at this point to ignore the polls and keep an eye on the advanced metrics, where we look pretty good.

Reaction Score
I thought we'd get more than 2 votes. I know it's not by much but UNC Wilmington got more votes than we did...come on now. I was under the impression that if we won both this week we could be back in the top 25 but that doesn't look likely.

It's just laziness I suppose

Reaction Score
There is a lot to pick at in these polls because there is a lot of craziness going on this year. 8 teams between the AP and USAToday got first place votes. There clearly is a lot of parity among the top 40 teams. And I think that's true from top to bottom.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
We're sort of in a position where it will be hard to get back in and stay in barring a sustained run.

If they win both this week, they'll be on the border or in the low 20s. Then they get SMU and @Cincy. Likely they lose one of those.

If they fall back out, it would be very difficult to get back in with a loss @SMU

Now, if they go 4-0 in the next two weeks, they might be in far enough to sustain a loss on the road to SMU.

But I think it's best at this point to ignore the polls and keep an eye on the advanced metrics, where we look pretty good.
As I recall we dropped out of the 25, got back in and immediately lost the next game, booted out again. So I think it will be difficult to get back in. The scenarios are tougher than realized. It can happen, but unlikely. Look at the teams coming down.

Reaction Score
Villanova is #1 for the first time in their program's history. Thought they would have been #1 before. Maybe in, say, 2006 or so, or in the Kerry Kittles years.

I get why Oklahoma is not longer #1, yet it feels weird when the #1 team in the country lost by 23 to the #3 team. Teams get better, I know, but I just don't buy Nova, like so many on this board.

Reaction Score
Stats & Info: Six With 1st-Place Votes
This is the first time that six different teams received first-place votes in the AP poll since the Feb. 21, 2011, poll. The eventual national champion that season, UConn, was not among those six teams.

-- ESPN Stats & Information

Love this little piece of analysis from ESPN. DOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Stony Brook gets eight votes. so prouddd. jameel warney carrying SBU

I feel like Warney could have a Kenneth Faried type of tourney if SBU gets in. Double double monster on a really solid mid major.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This team needs to win as many games as possible while avoiding the bad losses
Its getting into the dance that counts - looking pretty in the poll during the season is for fans only

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Villanova is #1 for the first time in their program's history. Thought they would have been #1 before. Maybe in, say, 2006 or so, or in the Kerry Kittles years.

I get why Oklahoma is not longer #1, yet it feels weird when the #1 team in the country lost by 23 to the #3 team. Teams get better, I know, but I just don't buy Nova, like so many on this board.

No one buys Nova after faltering two straight years in the R32 despite having #1/#2 seeds. They gonna have to prove it in March before people regain any confidence in them

Reaction Score
Villanova as a #1 seed is great. They never live up to their seeding. The last Lunardi bracket that has UConn as an 8 in their bracket would be just fine with me. I'd love to knock them out of the tournament again. Beat the one seed in that bracket and go on to play either Purdue or Miami most likely in the sweet sixteen. I wouldn't mind moving up a few lines of course and would rather not be in the same bracket as Maryland if possible. The idea that Maryland is a 2 seed with Villanova as a 1 is laughable. Maybe the numbers support that but I think Maryland would beat Villanova by double digits if they played each other.

Reaction Score

In 1995, both the men and women were ranked #1 and Kittles poured in 37 at Gampel to beat us.

DALTX

People better get us now ... because it's coming
Reaction Score
After a win against SMU and a loss at Cincinnati:

Week of 2/22/16

• Others Receiving Votes:
  • Dayton 80,
  • Providence 48,
  • California 34,
  • Wichita St. 33,
  • Texas Tech 31,
  • Wisconsin 27,
  • St. Joseph's 20,
  • VCU 19,
  • South Carolina 12,
  • Hawaii 12,
  • St. Mary's 10,
  • Cincinnati 3,
  • Valparaiso 3,
  • S. Diego St. 2,
  • USC 2,
  • S.F. Austin 1,
  • AR Little Rock 1,
  • UAB 1,
  • Connecticut 1

Reaction Score
Perhaps I still have an affintity for past BE schools., but I'd rather Nova be ranked number one, than those other high profile teams. I will say that Nova year in and year out produces a good product they just can't close in March.

I also wouldn't mind scheduling them every now and then. They are the closest good team around.

AAC not reppin (SMU is tourney banned), that's sad.

Reaction Score
would have put the mortgage on that one vote being Borges but it actually wasn't him. Not sure who it was tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom