Wednesday 12/22 Viewing Guide | The Boneyard

Wednesday 12/22 Viewing Guide

Reaction Score
Happy Holidays everyone, it's the return of the viewing guides.

Winter break has started and my travel plans have grounded, so it's a great time to hunker down and catch some games. Like last year, I'll mainly focus on under-the-radar matchups, but feel free to add any comments on any other games.

Bonus 11 AM - Hartford @ Sacred Heart - Free to watch online.

Amity's Tyler Thomas is continuing to be the stud for Sacred Heart (19.7 ppg). Hartford's Traci Carter is back for a sixth year of college basketball...he turns 26 in June!

2 PM - Colgate @ Vermont - ESPN3.

Two top-150 KenPom teams expected to be at the top of their respective conferences. Two old teams: both in the top-60 nationally in D1 experience. Colgate is led by senior guard Nelly Cummings (17.6 ppg) while is led by senior big man Ryan Davis (16.9 ppg).

3 PM - First Round of Diamond Head Classic: Liberty v Northern Iowa - ESPNU.

A very good mid-major matchup between two top-120 teams. Liberty is a Virginia clone with their slow offense and pack-line D while Northern Iowa lets it fly from three. It's great to see AJ Green back from his ACL injury (18.7 ppg) while Darius McGhee is Liberty's star (19.5 ppg). Northern Iowa is better than its 4-5 record. Liberty forces teams to shoot from deep and that's UNI's bread and butter, so I predict a UNI win and cover (this is the one game I'm betting on today).

5 PM - Southern Illinois @ San Francisco - Watch Free Online

Another good mid-major battle between two top-125 teams. San Francisco enters the game 11-1 and coach Todd Golden is one of the young coaching stars in D1. They let it fly from three and are led by fifth-year senior guard Jamaree Bouyea (17.6 ppg). The WCC has a realistic chance of being a four-bid league this year. The Salukis also let it fly, but play at a slow pace. Former OSU star Bryan Mullins is their coach and are led by the inside/outside junior duo of Lance Jones (15.6 ppg) and Marcus Domask (15.2 ppg).

5:30 - First Round of Diamond Head Classic: Wyoming v Stanford - ESPNU.

The MWC is really good this year with eight teams in the KenPom top-150. Wyoming one of those teams, entering the game 9-1 with their only loss against Arizona. Offensively, they are slow, take good shots and limit mistakes. Defensively, they are an elite perimeter team with a ton of size and a starting lineup that goes 6'7, 6'4, 6'5, 6'8 and 6'9. 6'7 senior Hunter Maldonado is their do-everything point forward averaging 16.8p, 5.4r, 5.2a. Stanford is an elite rebounding team with no bad losses this year. Should be a good one.

6:00 - Murray State @ Auburn - SEC Network.

Matt McMahon is one of the best coaches in the nation now on his 7th year coaching Murray State. The Racers shoot well and cause a lot of turnovers led by Junior wing Tevin Brown (19.1 ppg) and junior big KJ Williams (16.5p). The Racers already beat Memphis this season and are the biggest competitor of Belmont as the king of the OVC.

6:00 - Western Kentucky @ Kentucky - ESPN.

WKU is one of the four KenPom top-100 teams in the C-USA and what's even more impressive is that they are doing it without former Cincinnati star Keith Williams and top-50 recruit Zion Harmon. Former Maryland/BC forward Jairus Hamilton has stepped up as their star (16.5 ppg), while sophomore guard Dayvion McKnight has really stepped up (14.1p, 6.6r, 6.4a, 2.1s). It'll be fun to see 7'5 center Jamarion Sharp matchup against Tshiebwe. I don't think it will be a close game, but I love these little brother intrastate matchups.

7 PM: Arizona @ Tennessee - ESPN2.

Arizona has been one of the biggest surprises in college basketball. Former Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd has loaded up on international talent. The Wildcats play a fast, beautiful and selfless style of basketball led by possible lottery pick Bennedict Mathurin (17.4 ppg), Lithuanian sophomore forward Azuolas Tubelis (16.1p, 6.8r, 3.1a) and the scrappy and agitating Estonian point guard Kerr Kriisa (11.8p, 5.4a). Tennessee has an elite defense (2nd in efficiency), but can they score enough to keep up with the Wildcats? Should be an excellent game.

8 PM: Boise State v Washington State - Pac12 Network

A top-60 matchup between another strong MWC team and the surprisingly good Washington State Cougars. The Broncos are a big, physical defensive team the cleans the glass. Continuing the tradition of Derrick Alston, Boise State's Emmanuel Akot is their 6'8 point forward while fifth year senior forward Abu Kigab is their leading scorer (14.5 ppg). "Moneyball" coach Kyle Smith is doing an admirable job taking over a terrible program and turning them into a top-50 team in only his third season.

Oral Roberts @ South Dakota State - ESPN+

If you like fast, high scoring games, this Summit League battle should easily top 180 points. SDSU makes 44.3% of their threes while Oral Roberts makes 39.5%. Super scorer Max Abmas is still on the Golden Eagles, averaging 21.3 ppg.

9 PM - Virginia Tech @ Duke - ESPN2.

I love Mike Young and hate Duke, so go Hokies! Virginia Tech is top-ten nationally in 3p% in offense and defense, so VT has a shot if they win the perimeter game.

10 PM - Missouri State @ Saint Mary's - Watch Free Online

Another solid MVC/WCC matchup between two top-70 teams. Saint Mary's is an elite defensive team thanks to their difficulty getting good shots inside and their top-5 defensive rebounding. Offensively, they spread the wealth w/ five scorers averaging between 8.8-11.6 ppg. Missouri State hits shots and is secure with the ball offensively, so a nice matchup there. Junior wing Isiaih Mosley averages 17.6 ppg and shoots 41.5% from three while interior force Gaige Prim averages 16.2p and 8.9r.

***I didn't include the other two Diamond Head Classic matchups (BYU v USF), (Hawaii v Vanderbilt), but if the favorites win, there could be a solid matchup of BYU/Vanderbilt tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Notables from Wednesday:
  • I caught the last ten minutes of the UNI/Liberty game and all of the Wyoming/Stanford game, both good endings. Being a rare late-December tournament, both games felt like good 12 PM 8/9 March Madness games.
  • Caught the last 30 minutes of the Arizona/Tennessee game. Not as good as hyped, but Tennessee impressed and this Arizona team has a chance to be a championship-caliber team if Kriisa, Tubelis, Terry, Larsson and Koloko stick around (all underclassmen and I'm assuming Mathurin is a 1st round pick next year).
  • Oscar Tshiebe had 28 rebounds!!!
  • Hartford's Hunter Marks scored 31 points (10-14 from the field)
  • Temple's Zach Hicks scored 35 points (10-16 from three). The freshman's season/career high previous to this game was just nine points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon
Top Bottom