Weak side rebound primer | The Boneyard

Weak side rebound primer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This killed our defense during the season. The shot would go up and our weak side rebounder (a wing or a guard) would stand at the arc or in the corner.

This not only costs us boards and points, it left the floor unbalanced and gave up easy offensive rebounds and points to our opponents.

I watched this dozens of times, there were even times when our weak side rebounder ran away from the ball as it bounced out toward the arc.

This happened quite often when Brimah moved to to the strong side to block a shot. There's nothing wrong with Brimah doing this if the weak side rebounder comes to fill the void.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that players have a sense for the game which includes positioning like Daniel Hamilton. Has a nose for the ball. You can draw up a ton of things but AB and Phil will touch balls but not be able to secure them and that's different. After 35 games they should know what to do.

Reaction Score
My feeling is that players have a sense for the game which includes positioning like Daniel Hamilton. Has a nose for the ball. You can draw up a ton of things but AB and Phil will touch balls but not be able to secure them and that's different. After 35 games they should know what to do.
Sometimes I think it was by design. Ollie would prefer that we get back on defense rather than attack the boards. So the weakside rebounder would drift back to defend. But on way too many occasions he just stood there, doing neither.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I noticed that several opponents had one player drive hard towards the rim and automatically a second player would cut hard, following directly in his path, so that they could be there for the put back. To stop this, the defender has to be alert and quickly move into box out position and be willing to take a hard shot to there back. Our smaller, skinnier players will often get the worst out of this type of contact...unfortunately, either our guys were slow to react or were it willing to take that punishment.
Several players need to dedicate themselves to the weight room from now through September. Many may say that ectomorphic body types are unlikely to be able to out on solid muscle I that kind of timeframe but among our Marines and Sailors many looked like Brimah or Facey or Hamilton six months ago but now are substantially more muscular. It takes dedication...everyday type of dedication. It is easy to see now who never went to the gym. But even those in their early fifties with multiple injuries (yours truly) can lose 12 lbs of fat and add 5 lbs. of muscle.
I hope our guys show that type of dedication, as the team desperately needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom