We won a one possession game! | The Boneyard

We won a one possession game!

Reaction Score
2-9 since Hurley's first season now in games won by 4 points or less, I believe. It's better than 1-10. And it's a step in the right direction. Now let's make the next one 3-9 (on the off day we don't win by a dozen or more!)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Shooting well and playing well are two different things. I think they played well, didn’t shoot well.
Well-chosen shots were both made & missed. A far lower percentage of badly-taken shot went in. SJU is disruptive, but still this is an issue.

I liked that they stayed with it, and did the proper closeout drill after they gained the lead...with a setting up timeout, no forced shots or dumb fouls to bail out the opposition, defensive stops, no turnovers, and made free throws.

Reaction Score
Shooting well and playing well are two different things. I think they played well, didn’t shoot well.
They threw threw the ball allover the place. Lot's of unforced TOs. And lots of free back doors for SJU. I agree we didn't shoot well.. But it was a very sloppy effort on both ends.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. We were gifted this . And I only say that after seeing everyone complain about the refs costing us against Xavier. I have a ton of takes on here, but I never have a take on ref costing us games …… because refs giveth and refs taketh away. It balances over time. Mike Anderson can make a REAL strong case that refs just took 2 wins over UConn this year. He would have a great case. Cole wasn’t fouled. I’d have gone nuts if it was called in reverse situation. Anyway it’s not an argument and it doesn’t matter….. we won. We get calls and we get screwed.

Now that being said, palatine you are absolutely right. We responded down the stretch. Came up with buckets and stops. Whaley was player of game. On both ends. I love we didn’t fold and we responded. Let’s build on it.

Reaction Score
FINALLY! This is a feat we haven't seen all season!!!!

Congrats to the lads. We didn't play well. But let's let bygones be bygones and say goodbye to that god awful streak.

Hurray.
Agreed. It’s a win. As ugly as they come. But better than a loss. And we move on.

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Let’s be honest. We were gifted this . And I only say that after seeing everyone complain about the refs costing us against Xavier. I have a ton of takes on here, but I never have a take on ref costing us games …… because refs giveth and refs taketh away. It balances over time. Mike Anderson can make a REAL strong case that refs just took 2 wins over UConn this year. He would have a great case. Cole wasn’t fouled. I’d have gone nuts if it was called in reverse situation. Anyway it’s not an argument and it doesn’t matter….. we won. We get calls and we get screwed.

Now that being said, palatine you are absolutely right. We responded down the stretch. Came up with buckets and stops. Whaley was player of game. On both ends. I love we didn’t fold and we responded. Let’s build on it.
It negated the charge foul against Sanogo at about the 2 minute mark. Sanogo was pushed into the player, and even if he wasn’t pushed there was no contact. Donny Marshall made a brief comment but the coverage moved on to play on the court without any replay.

Reaction Score
I'd love to know what the play was supposed to be on the last possession when Hurley called a TO. Whatever it was the players didn't execute it. I have to believe Hurley drew something up better than whatever that was. Good thing Martin cleaned up the mess with the offensive rebound and stick back.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Well said AW
I agree - RJ wasn't fouled

Reaction Score
I'd love to know what the play was supposed to be on the last possession when Hurley called a TO. Whatever it was the players didn't execute it. I have to believe Hurley drew something up better than whatever that was. Good thing Martin cleaned up the mess with the offensive rebound and stick back.
I am surprised that we won since Hurley did not score any points , had 0 rebounds, and 0 minutes play time. What a useless player that Dan Hurley guy is.

Reaction Score
I am surprised that we won since Hurley did not score any points , had 0 rebounds, and 0 minutes play time. What a useless player that Dan Hurley guy is.
Why respond to my post with that? What does that have to do with what I wrote? Usually when you reply to a post it directly relates to or answers the quoted post.

Reaction Score
Should be farther along than we are in execution, maturity and IQ after 4 years. But, it’s a reasonably competitive top 25-30 team that can challenge high quality teams on any night if things are falling. They don’t have the consistent firepower to sustain any deep tourney run. Just the way it is. Got to enjoy what we got, but Hurley also needs to step it up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
2-9 since Hurley's first season now in games won by 4 points or less, I believe. It's better than 1-10
It’s also better than losing by five points or more. [Shrugs] A lot of our team is still pretty young. We’ll get there.

Reaction Score
Major step in the right direction with late game play. Down 55-48 with just over 7 mins to go. Followed by 11-0 run and 18-5 run to close out the game.

Reaction Score
A big difference was Whaley playing on the inside offensively and defensively. He does not belong on the perimeter where his skills are wasted.

Reaction Score
This play right?

St. John’s did a good job denying RJ the ball until late in the shot clock. There was also very little movement. Considering that Whaley and Sanogo were the ones touching the ball so far from the basket we were fortunate not to have a turnover there. When we need a bucket late in the game the halfcourt offense we run doesn’t align well with the 5 guys we usually have on the court.

Reaction Score
Looks like play was to have Sanogo pass to Whaley, who swings it to Cole who could then entry into Sanogo with spacing elsewhere. Sanogo starts high in order to cut and establish possession deep. St. John's fronts Sanogo and he's too deep to receive a pass over the top.

So then Cole's read is to drive. He does a nice job of using his left hand to fake the pass and then crosses over and attacks into the empty space. If Sanogo's man helps, he can pass/lob to Sanogo. But Sanogo's man stays home and Cole gets a step so at that point he's correctly looking to shoot. Since Martin's man rotated over, he could've lobbed to Martin (who smartly/well designed cuts to the dunker's spot).

It worked out pretty well. Cole could've tried to lob to Martin or kick out to Jackson, but the latter is more of a last resort type option. He had a step, so a shot is a good option with Martin uncovered on the glass. Sometimes shot is the best way to make the pass.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom