We were not prepared. | The Boneyard

We were not prepared.

Reaction Score
We heard that after PeeCee. They came out and switched on defense for most of the first half. Hurley said they hadn't done that before they played us and it the caused us problems. We weren't prepared. We adjusted at half.

When the SH kid scored a million straight points, Hurley said were not prepared for a player to go off like that.

It's disappointing to hear a coach say that. I mean, not prepared if a team switches on defense? Not prepared if a kid gets a hot hand? These are not exotic situations. They are something you expect to happen regularly. There are also obvious game situations that the players do not seem prepared for. Anyone who has watched us at the end of halves or games knows that we seemly do not have a "go to" play prepared for that eventuality. And the play at the end of the SHU game... whatever it was, we sure were not prepared to run it correctly, it looked very chaotic.

This is not Hurley bashing. I think overall Hurley is a good coach and a good game coach. He has lifted the program. But like all humans beings he has strengths and weaknesses. I think missing piece is having someone like George Blaney on the bench. Someone who has coached on this level and seen it all. A mentor in the moment. It's nice that Calhoun is back in the picture but having an experienced high end basketball mind on the bench is invaluable. Dan will get there. He has the talent. But I never want to hear "we weren't prepared for...." again. Time to learn the lesson.

Reaction Score
So he says we weren’t prepared but before the game we were ready?
It's what Hurley said after both games. He specifically referred to switches by PeeCee and 0 going off for SHU.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
1641763089623.jpeg

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
They had two practices in two weeks before the game yesterday….. I criticize Hurley as much as anyone, but the sky is falling attitude after what we saw yesterday is insanity.
Nothing to do with a coaching having the ability to turn on a dime
The kids may be rusty but does Hurley need practice being a coach?

Reaction Score
Hurley, like all coaches, has his strength and weaknesses. I think he's the kind of coach who will work to improve his weaknesses.
However, I was amazed at how well we played against SH, how much poise and discipline we showed, and how hard we competed. Shouldn't the coach get more than a little credit?

Reaction Score
No credit for losers. Couldn't watch or listen as the sloppy ball handling drove me crazy. With the lead simply did not value the ball.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
It’s hard to stop and start during the season, all season. All sports are going through the same thing. No continuity. No momentum.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
How do you know when a guy is going off on you until it’s clear that’s what’s happening? There was no reason based on this season for UConn to plan around Richmond. They did adjust but SH is a good team to begin with. It happens.

Reaction Score
How do you know when a guy is going off on you until it’s clear that’s what’s happening? There was no reason based on this season for UConn to plan around Richmond. They did adjust but SH is a good team to begin with. It happens.
There is no preparation for something like that however, when 2 of your players get bullied going to the hoop like Richmond did quite a few times inside then it's time to change your defensive scheme. Be it a junk defense or some type of zone just for a bit to stop his momentum.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom