We need to relax a bit | The Boneyard

We need to relax a bit

Reaction Score
Total 2017 Transfers To Date: 329

That's right, this is a new age of NCAA basketball, transfers are more numerous than ever, we just had it happen to us at the absolute wrong time. I just hope the coaches don't over-react, and look for the quick fix, with players that are going to just fill a roster vacancy. Getting kids rated in the 100s will certainly do that, but is that where we have had success? History says no. I prefer the 5th year senior kids at this time, they fill the same need with experience, and similar quality, we have seen the contributions, and the scholarship is used for 1 year, and we have full availability of those for the next class, where we hopefully can use them on kids inside the top 100, insead of burning 4 years on kids in the 100s. Sure a top 100 kid could flop, transfer, be a 1-2 and done, but we simply have had much better results there than below 100.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Total 2017 Transfers To Date: 329

That's right, this is a new age of NCAA basketball, transfers are more numerous than ever, we just had it happen to us at the absolute wrong time. I just hope the coaches don't over-react, and look for the quick fix, with players that are going to just fill a roster vacancy. Getting kids rated in the 100s will certainly do that, but is that where we have had success? History says no. I prefer the 5th year senior kids at this time, they fill the same need with experience, and similar quality, we have seen the contributions, and the scholarship is used for 1 year, and we have full availability of those for the next class, where we hopefully can use them on kids inside the top 100, insead of burning 4 years on kids in the 100s. Sure a top 100 kid could flop, transfer, be a 1-2 and done, but we simply have had much better results there than below 100.

Not sure ranking matters much. It's more on the kid than anything. For instance, there's late bloomers, kids who just don't play much AAU etc. I mean, I know it's unusual as hell, but Emeka was ranked 99. Hakeem Warrick was 100 something. Hell Westbrook wasn't highly ranked either iirc. There's tons of examples.

If the staff sees a guy who they think might be good, might as well add him. That said, no super reaches like Rock or Michael Bradley need apply.

Reaction Score
Not sure ranking matters much. It's more on the kid than anything. For instance, there's late bloomers, kids who just don't play much AAU etc. I mean, I know it's unusual as hell, but Emeka was ranked 99. Hakeem Warrick was 100 something. Hell Westbrook wasn't highly ranked either iirc. There's tons of examples.

If the staff sees a guy who they think might be good, might as well add him. That said, no super reaches like Rock or Michael Bradley need apply.

You can always find a 3* to make an example out of that is a jackpot kid, and also 4s and 5s that bust. On a consensus basis, the 3's seldom pan out at the level of the 4s and 5s, it's just fact.

Reaction Score

Lubin averaged 8.5 points and 5.2 rebounds as a soph. Facey averaged 8.5 points and 7.1 rebounds as a senior, and lots of us were thrilled with that.

Lubin is a better player than many fans give him credit for.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Exactly. You don't waste a scholarship on a freshman who really won't contribute. Better to get grad transfers for depth. Sign any good players you can, even if they won't contribute early on, and leave a scholarship or two for next year.

Reaction Score
Lubin averaged 8.5 points and 5.2 rebounds as a soph. Facey averaged 8.5 points and 7.1 rebounds as a senior, and lots of us were thrilled with that.

Lubin is a better player than many fans give him credit for.
Lubin also averaged 5+ TO and 9+ Fouls per 40 this year, with an ORtg of 93 and DRtg of 109 in the Big West. To be completely honest, he's just a terrible player.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Lubin also averaged 5+ TO and 9+ Fouls per 40 this year, with an ORtg of 93 and DRtg of 109 in the Big West. To be completely honest, he's just a terrible player.

I wouldn't say terrible, but he's not a high major player.

Reaction Score
Well, since 2003 we have had 20 players rated at 3* here are the facts (according to Rivals). Players not rated (mostly international, not included)

10/18 transferred out, 2 still in house Vitale and Diarra
0 in the NBA
0 drafted

So lets load up our roster with this type of player this year, let's get guys in the 100s, use up scholarships, and listen to every one moan, why did we do that? I think your onto something big, we need to keep more of the Lubin's around, great idea, let's recruit the crap out of them!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Well, since 2003 we have had 20 players rated at 3* here are the facts (according to Rivals). Players not rated (mostly international, not included)

0 in the NBA
0 drafted

So lets load up our roster with this type of player this year, let's get guys in the 100s, use up scholarships, and listen to every one moan, why did we do that? I think your onto something big, we need to keep more of the Lubin's around, great idea, let's recruit the crap out of them!
If you don't think Hilton Armstrong, Tyler Olander, unrated Niels Giffey, Amida Brimah, Craig Austrie, Marcus White, Gavin Edwards, etc. weren't important pieces to our successes, then I don't know what to say.

Obviously they aren't pro prospects but we recruit to win games and championships. This isn't Kentucky.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

0 in the NBA
0 drafted

The problem seems clear to me. The more you write the less relaxed you become.

The simple solution to help you relax is to limit your arguments and for anxious readers to limit their reading to just your OP:cool:.

Reaction Score
If you don't think Hilton Armstrong, Tyler Olander, unrated Niels Giffey, Amida Brimah, Craig Austrie, Marcus White, Gavin Edwards, etc. weren't important pieces to our successes, then I don't know what to say.

Obviously they aren't pro prospects but we recruit to win games and championships. This isn't Kentucky.

It sure isn't, not with those guys you mentioned.

Reaction Score
That's right, this is a new age of NCAA basketball, transfers are more numerous than ever, we just had it happen to us at the absolute wrong time.

At what point does the string of issues become a trend and not just "unfortunate timing"?

Reaction Score
It sure isn't, not with those guys you mentioned.

Giffey was an international player, not rated by Rivals, the rest:

Olander 383 career points in 4 years, any recruit can contribute that, pick one out of a hat
Marcus White 119 career points in 3 years, pick anyone out of a hat, and they will give you that
Austrie 5.9ppg 2.1apg
Arstrong 4.7ppg
Edwards 5.1ppg

What is sad about the number, these are the best of all 3's you could come up with, thanks for putting the exclamation point on my post, appreciate it!

let's get a bunch more of these guys!

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Transfers aren't the solution to our problems at the moment, especially long term.

We need to get our own UConn blood infusion into the program, and we need to groom them in our system, and most importantly retain them.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

0 in the NBA
0 drafted

Well we need enough bodies. You think a bunch of 4 stars are going to be cool with sitting at the end of UCONN's bench? This is not Kentucky.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom