We need more explosive plays period, end of story | The Boneyard

We need more explosive plays period, end of story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I would pay $50 for a crap ticket just to watch them throw the ball on every single play. I just want to see what would happen. I understand it's not a good game plan to throw the ball every time, but I would still like to see more throwing, less running for 3 yards.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I'm very hopeful that the team has been slow to open the playbook to keep their explosive plays off tape. We all know how limited the play-calling was at Maine. With Navy, it looked like more of the same until the team was behind multiple touchdowns and needed to get back in the game... when they actually opened up, they moved the ball well. Against UVA, they put enough points on the board to outscore Virginia. A more convincing win would have been fun, but at least it's a win. I'm okay with the conservative offense at this point in the season.

When UConn plays Cincy or Houston however, they had better unleash the offense from the get-go, or else there may be no chance by the 4th quarter...

Reaction Score
I'm very hopeful that the team has been slow to open the playbook to keep their explosive plays off tape. We all know how limited the play-calling was at Maine. With Navy, it looked like more of the same until the team was behind multiple touchdowns and needed to get back in the game... when they actually opened up, they moved the ball well. Against UVA, they put enough points on the board to outscore Virginia. A more convincing win would have been fun, but at least it's a win. I'm okay with the conservative offense at this point in the season.

When UConn plays Cincy or Houston however, they had better unleash the offense from the get-go, or else there may be no chance by the 4th quarter...

4th quarter ??..... no chance by the 2nd quarter given Houston's firepower (with Ward.).....

Reaction Score

Understand your thinking MikeDog, thinking it was some SEASON long strategy not to unveil blah blah blah... but don't agree with you...going conservative could have had us at 0 & 3 instead of 2 & 1 if it weren't for kicking game (Puyol & Wain).

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think we do get explosive plays. Nwe some anday Johnson have both ripped of multiple 20+yd runs. Every scoring drive has had big pass plays.

It's the 5-7yrd plays on 1st and 2nd down we seem to be lacking while we have an adundance of plays blowing up for losses or zero gain.

Reaction Score
Missed blocking assignments, slow developing running plays, lack of downfield vision from rb's and QB's coupled with BS's propensity to tuck and run too prematurely contribute to the blown plays but we still need MORE explosive plays down field.

Reaction Score
What's this "more" and "some" talk..... give me one.

Louisville scored 63 points against #3 FSU which is 2 less (65) than we scored against FCS Maine, Navy and winless VA combined. Here is some of the explosion from that game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think asking for 500 plus yards if offense or whatever that UL WR did to Syracuse is asking a bit much.

I think the only thing wrong are the specific play calls. We mix it up a lot more than in the RE days. Too many of them go south or just fizzle. The curls work the crossing routes work, the back shoulder sideline throw's work enough. The TE''s were absent on Saturday. Was it beca use UVA was covering the seem route or we needed the extra blockers? All I know it that BS dropped back plenty only to abort before he finished his drop.

The backs also got swallowed up too often. Without putting too fine a point on it, I think there are plays we run well and plays we don't. Need to call more of the former as part of the gameplan.

Reaction Score
Explosive plays need explosive players. Difference makers. Besides 5 and 22 do you see any? Other WRs just weren't open (by the time 4 tucked it.) No reason some TE tosses couldn't be folded in.

Reaction Score
We need more dinks and dunks on 1st down to take pressure off the run game. Give me two TE's running hi-lo combo routes or some nice triangle passing routes out of trips.

Reaction Score
Explosive plays need explosive players. Difference makers. Besides 5 and 22 do you see any? Other WRs just weren't open (by the time 4 tucked it.) No reason some TE tosses couldn't be folded in.

That's really it in a nutshell right there. You don't need to be a genius at talent evaluation to see that there isn't much in terms of explosiveness on this roster. Until that changes, it is always going to be a grind it out affair, and that is just too hard to sustain over the course of a given game.

Reaction Score
That's really it in a nutshell right there. You don't need to be a genius at talent evaluation to see that there isn't much in terms of explosiveness on this roster. Until that changes, it is always going to be a grind it out affair, and that is just too hard to sustain over the course of a given game.

I disagree if only in principle. We don't even know what we have. How often does anyone other than Newsome or Noel get the ball in the open field? Every WR besides Noel seems to only get the ball at the boundary with nowhere to go.

Reaction Score
I don't mind a run-heavy offense if it's a means to an end. It shouldn't be an end in itself in 2016.

i.e., run to set up the pass. fine. but when you run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on third every single possession, it becomes pretty easy for the defense to stop you.

running to set up the pass only works if you pass semi-often. that sounds so obvious that it seems ridiculous to even say it, but the coaching staff doesn't seem to realize it

the 2nd half of the Navy game was the only time so far this year that our offense didn't seem formulaic. and lo and behold, it was our best performance

Reaction Score
I don't mind a run-heavy offense if it's a means to an end. It shouldn't be an end in itself in 2016.

i.e., run to set up the pass. fine. but when you run on 1st, run on 2nd, pass on third every single possession, it becomes pretty easy for the defense to stop you.

running to set up the pass only works if you pass semi-often. that sounds so obvious that it seems ridiculous to even say it, but the coaching staff doesn't seem to realize it

the 2nd half of the Navy game was the only time so far this year that our offense didn't seem formulaic. and lo and behold, it was our best performance

And I believe the answer for this, is that we don't gameplan opponents. We are going to run the "philosophy" on offense, instead of tailoring plays to take what the defense gives us.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
1) slow developing running plays,
2) RB's getting the ball late, and 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage,
3) opponents in our backfield right after the snap,
4) two runs up the middle and then the inevitable "3rd and 9".

I'm having flashbacks to the NY Giants in the 1970's. A decade of football frustration. A generation of NYC metro kids grew up as fans of the Steelers, Cowboys, and Vikings because the Giants sucked and were boring.

We need to avoid this fate.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Mayala's making plays. Kid has some strong hands.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, I thought we did call a few more pass plays than normal in 1H of the UVA game. It was just a matter of poor OL play that resulted in BS running for his life.

I'd be happy with just netting 4 or so yards on 1st down to stay on schedule. Wow, I just got a little depressed typing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom