We made a HUGE leap in 2003 | The Boneyard

We made a HUGE leap in 2003

Reaction Score
We jumped a few levels. One day you’re struggling against Hofstra (no longer fielding a Team) and then playing Miami & VaTech. Regularly beating and competing with Pitt & Syracuse.

What is the landscape today?

The region did not stand still. While UMass is admittedly struggling. Temple is exponentially better. Army is better. Navy is ... about the same. And of course, Cincinnati.

You have a solid Program in Buffalo today (plus some good hoop history). Stony Brook, UALBANY, Liberty, Old Dominion all are a big upgrade; steady growth. James Madison. Those 10. + games against Syracuse & Pitt & BC should be the core of our target schedule. Plus Florida.

At one point we had USF and were competing. Then 2. To have the level of recruiting we do there ... we need to push to keep playing them or FIU or FAU.

Then. We will never miss not playing Tulane, Tulsa, SMU, Memphis, ECU. Houston.

Is this a New Football conference? Hell. I’m not saying that. But I do think this level of Football is nudging it’s way to a new paradigm. I won’t believe CUSA or SunBelt thing they’re doing well. And Buffalo has always seemed a weird match in the MAC.

Reaction Score
We jumped a few levels. One day you’re struggling against Hofstra (no longer fielding a Team) and then playing Miami & VaTech. Regularly beating and competing with Pitt & Syracuse.

The region did not stand still. While UMass is admittedly struggling. Temple is exponentially better. Army is better. Navy is ... about the same. And of course, Cincinnati.

You have a solid Program in Buffalo today (plus some good hoop history). Stony Brook, UALBANY, Liberty, Old Dominion all are a big upgrade; steady growth. James Madison. Those 10. + games against Syracuse & Pitt & BC should be the core of our target schedule. Plus Florida.

At one point we had USF and were competing. Then 2. To have the level of recruiting we do there ... we need to push to keep playing them or FIU or FAU.

Is this a New Football conference? Hell. I’m not saying that. But I do think this level of Football is nudging it’s way to a new paradigm. I won’t believe CUSA or SunBelt thing they’re doing well. And Buffalo has always seemed a weird match in the MAC.
Why does Pitt, Cuse and BC schedule Uconn as an Indy or in your new Frankenstein football conference? They considered 2 for 1 recently because the AAC affiliation meant it counted as a P5 game. That will be gone so what incentive do they have to put Uconn on the schedule? If Uconn is Indy, there are zero marquee Games coming to the Rent.

The AD is bleeding money. Ticket sales are down. But this is an awful solution. Short sighted and it will lead to an even worse economic outcome for the school and the state.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

There’s zero value in Albany, Stony Brook, Liberty, Old Dominion and whatever Florida alphabet soup schools your touting. You’d have to have someone go and FaceTime the game to see it any other way than live.

There’s no new paradigm that involves people paying money to see UConn play that scrapple.

Reaction Score
Our football program is starting over. At UMass' level now.

Reaction Score
There’s zero value in Albany, Stony Brook, Liberty, Old Dominion and whatever Florida alphabet soup schools your touting. You’d have to have someone go and FaceTime the game to see it any other way than live.

There’s no new paradigm that involves people paying money to see UConn play that scrapple.
Those Florida alphabet schools are much more valuable athletic programs than UConn and will become more so. UConn might as well have joined the A-10.

Reaction Score
How do you get 12 games

Call them whatever you want. Use your Big words. But we are better there than what UMass is doing.

Reaction Score
How do you get 12 games

Call them whatever you want. Use your Big words. But we are better there than what UMass is doing.
Consider Uconn As an independent whose last winning season was in 2010. How much better is UConn than umass in that regard? Look at the UMass schedule. That is exactly the schedule Uconn will be playing. Crap home games in front of <5000 friends and family. The best home game will be against a lower level AAC or MAC team. Road games against anyone that pays.

The Rent will be as empty as the promised retail and hotel redevelopment of the area around it.. CT taxpayers should demand an explanation but we just roll over
Ike we usually do.

Reaction Score
Those Florida alphabet schools are much more valuable athletic programs than UConn and will become more so. UConn might as well have joined the A-10.
That's total BS. They just have better football programs at the moment and we are behind much because of Diacos recruiting. We could have kept up and still could have.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You are criminally stupid.

You could fit four FAUs inside our athletic department and still have change left over.

Reaction Score

I'm not really sure what to make of this and how it pertains to future Uconn Scheduling. For starters Stony Brook, UA, and JMU are FCS Programs. How many of these games can an FBS Program reasonably schedule? Buffalo and ODU are currently in conferences and have commitments to play those opponents. OOC they are looking for pay day road games in order to fund their athletic departments. Yes you might be able to pull a few home and homes with these schools, but it is not guaranteed to be an every season thing.

Army and Liberty? They'll likely play ball as they need to fill their schedules and would definitely prefer playing Uconn than seeing New Mexico State twice in one season. As for the rest I suspect you will be hard pressed to get games with any of the AAC Schools going forward, while the local FBS Programs will probably only agree to play on highly unfavorable terms. For the life of me I don't see why this move to The Big East was made now if the plan is to continue playing football at The FBS Level? I sincerely hope that Fox has some tricks up their sleeve in terms of scheduling or it feels like Uconn was sold a bill of goods.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom