We Lead The Conference In Fouling | The Boneyard

We Lead The Conference In Fouling

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Marquette is the mystery to me. They start harassing the ball handler 3/4 court every possession. Usually there is more contact with Marquette even before the ball enters the front court and look where they are on the list. This is quite revealing.

Reaction Score
The discrepancy is even a bit more during play because we haven't needed to foul at the end of games like other teams who have played behind in tight games. I haven't felt whistles have been too bad overall, so the numbers surprise me a bit.

Reaction Score
The fouls recorded are either contact that is called a foul or, less often, phantom fouls involving light contact. Then, perhaps more relevant, there is contact that is not called (and impossible to statistically record). It's a mess. The bottom line is that some teams are good at playing physical and some teams like UConn, are not. If only the BE officials valued basketball ability as much as they value physical ability, considering they are officiating basketball games.

pj

Reaction Score
The discrepancy is even a bit more during play because we haven't needed to foul at the end of games like other teams who have played behind in tight games. I haven't felt whistles have been too bad overall, so the numbers surprise me a bit.

I'd like to see the numbers from last year in conference games vs non-conference games. That would be enough games for good statistics, and would show that Big East refs were calling differently than other refs.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
Would also like to see how many times we GET fouled compared to other teams.

Reaction Score
There is a very strange game vs. Manhattan when both teams were only called for 6 fouls this season. If you throw that out as an outlier ...

UConn vs. Big East teams this season: 19.3 fouls per game
UConn vs. non-Big East teams this season: 17.2 fouls per game

UConn vs. Big East teams last reg. season: 18.0 fouls per game
UConn vs. non-Big East teams last reg. season: 18.6 fouls per game

And the other side of that. Fouls called on our opponents:

Big East teams vs. UConn this season: 17.8 fouls per game
Non-Big East teams vs. UConn this season: 18.9 fouls per game

Big East teams vs. UConn last reg. season: 18.0 fouls per game
Non-Big East teams vs. UConn last reg. season: 16.3 fouls per game

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And DePaul is at the bottom because they just don't play defense.
Can’t get fouls if you don’t guard anyone.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Reaction Score
Would also like to see how many times we GET fouled compared to other teams.
I have no evidence to back this up but if you take out intentional fouls I guarantee we still have more fouls called on us than every conference opponent

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
The numbers from this season are definitely a little misleading, as it’s comparing a 4 game sample vs an 11 game sample.

And many of the guys refereeing our Big East games were refs in our non-con slate as well.

I think these numbers are comparing apples to oranges, especially since 2 of the 4 games in Big East play have been true road games (friendly whistle) vs only 1 true road game in the 11 game sample.

Reaction Score
We do foul but it seems like Karaban gets the poopy end of the stick on a lot of his fouls.
He knows they call that way, but he keeps doing it. He’s supposed to be the smarter one.

Reaction Score
I think part of this is also how deep the team is, so there is less worry. Lot of closer games typically means more D and probably more fouls.

Reaction Score
It’s interesting and worth looking at or you have time on your hands or like to research basketball stats instead of doing more important things, but the difference is not as drastic as that tweet makes it seem. UConn Twitter is getting riled up quite a bit lately.

Reaction Score
UConn on the prowl for a P4 invite....a conspiracy kitty factor? Likely not...give it another month and we'll be mid-pack in fouling (hopefully).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This year’s team actually has the second lowest defensive free throw rate of Hurley’s career, where free throw rate = free throw attempts / field goal attempts. I do think there has been some questionable officiating at times, though.

IMG_4167.jpeg

Reaction Score
I'm sure the lack of athleticism at certain spots plays into it, and Samson definitely plays defense with his arms too much. But there do seem to be plenty of times where Newton gets hammered on a drive with no call and on the next possession a guy gets breathed on and he's shooting free throws. I'm not exactly watching these games objectively though.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the lack of athleticism at certain spots plays into it, and Samson definitely plays defense with his arms too much. But there do seem to be plenty of times where Newton gets hammered on a drive with no call and on the next possession a guy gets breathed on and he's shooting free throws. I'm not exactly watching these games objectively though.
And he isn’t even a guy that really complains either, so not sure why he doesn’t get some benefit of the doubt. He does seem to look to draw fouls with some exaggerated reactions as he drives though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Marquette is the mystery to me. They start harassing the ball handler 3/4 court every possession. Usually there is more contact with Marquette even before the ball enters the front court and look where they are on the list. This is quite revealing.
THATS JUST GOOD OLD HARD NOSED BIG EAST BASKETBALL JUNIOR

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And he isn’t even a guy that really complains either, so not sure why he doesn’t get some benefit of the doubt. He does seem to look to draw fouls with some exaggerated reactions as he drives though.
Well he’s 2nd in the Big East in FTAs. He could get more calls, but he seems to live at the line a lot already. Went 13 times last game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom