We can fund Division 1 lacrosse at UConn | The Boneyard

We can fund Division 1 lacrosse at UConn

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
… if we cut men’s golf and men’s track and field. We need a minimum of six men’s sports to meet FBS requirements. Lacrosse would be our sixth men’s sport in addition to basketball, baseball, football, soccer, and hockey. Lacrosse would be something that the fanbase could follow as it is a team sport with head to head results, and there is a lot of high school talent locally.

I would trade lacrosse for track and field and golf all day.

Reaction Score
… if we cut men’s golf and men’s track and field. We need a minimum of six men’s sports to meet FBS requirements. Lacrosse would be our sixth men’s sport in addition to basketball, baseball, football, soccer, and hockey. Lacrosse would be something that the fanbase could follow as it is a team sport with head to head results, and there is a lot of high school talent locally.

Bad idea.

First, in conference realignment, you want your athletic department to look similar to the league you are trying to join. Almost all ACC, Big 12, and Big 10 schools sponsor golf and men's track and field and few sponsor lacrosse.

ACC: men's T&F: 17, golf: 15, lacrosse: 5
Big 12: men's T&F: 13, golf: 16, lacrosse: 1
Big 10: men's T&F: 17, golf: 18, lacrosse: 5

Second, UConn Golf comes close to funding itself.

Third, few schools with FBS football programs don't sponsor men's track and field.

Finally, I would take any money you can find for lacrosse and put it into football.

Reaction Score

Golf ponied up enough private money to keep themselves around for the time being. We've had solid track and field success over the years. I don't think we'd have enough money to be competitive in lacrosse just by transferring the athletic department money from golf/track (two fairly cheap sports); maybe if we had big donors on top of that.

Reaction Score
Forget lacrosse we need to raise $10-20 million and put it into football
Mostly for staff and recruiting
To get 15-20 diamonds in the rough from 3 star players you have to have people and a system capable of being able to do it . I think Mora given the tools can do it .

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lacrosse is boring. Looks fun to play with the baskets and all. I also get the feeling lacrosse has had it's day. I live in a lacrosse town and interest seems be waning. Soccer is stronger than ever, though.

Reaction Score

Get rid of the dumb soccer program. There is nothing more “over” than NCAA men’s soccer. They hardly even produce MLS talent these days.

Reaction Score
Forget lacrosse we need to raise $10-20 million and put it into football
Mostly for staff and recruiting
To get 15-20 diamonds in the rough from 3 star players you have to have people and a system capable of being able to do it . I think Mora given the tools can do it .

Agree. Start by defunding the Men’s Soccer program so that we can afford a decent Offensive Coordinator.

Reaction Score
Lacrosse is boring. Looks fun to play with the baskets and all. I also get the feeling lacrosse has had it's day. I live in a lacrosse town and interest seems be waning. Soccer is stronger than ever, though.

I played Lax in high school and club in college. It is extremely fun to play. But also boring to watch. You are correct.

Reaction Score
Agree. Start by defunding the Men’s Soccer program so that we can afford a decent Offensive Coordinator.
As someone who coached soccer. Founded and ran a league I took my teams to soccer Sunday’s at UConn so that’s sad to hear . They use to get 4,000 people there and it was one of the few places were that sport had a significant live following .
I suppose with the advent of multiple professional leagues kids don’t want to play in college I never played soccer just football, Basketball, and baseball. I coached my first basketball team at 18-19 .and the strategical soccer is very similar.

Reaction Score
We have 3 national championships in men's soccer and just built a new stadium for it. Don't think that's going to happen

I’ll take irrelevant college sports for $500 Alex.

Reaction Score
I played Lax in high school and club in college. It is extremely fun to play. But also boring to watch. You are correct.
I've never played lacrosse and I thought it would be fun to play because you get to throw a ball around rather than kick it. But then I watch it and I realize, nah, it's just boring. I suppose practice might be OK where you just fire shots at the goalie because that's really all there is. Run up the field, twirl the sticks, and fire a shot at the goalie once in a while

Reaction Score
As someone who coached soccer. Founded and ran a league I took my teams to soccer Sunday’s at UConn so that’s sad to hear . They use to get 4,000 people there and it was one of the few places were that sport had a significant live following .
I suppose with the advent of multiple professional leagues kids don’t want to play in college I never played soccer just football, Basketball, and baseball. I coached my first basketball team at 18-19 .and the strategical soccer is very similar.

The best Americans turn pro here or overseas and bypass college. There are multiple pro development leagues.

The guys that come here from overseas are players that aren’t good enough to get contracts where they come from.

Age wise, a player who graduates from college should be an established professional.

As a development platform college soccer sucks. The season is too short and it’s not professional environment so a player trying to go pro is well behind the curve.

The MLS Draft is an afterthought. Some managers trade their picks away for very little. It’s not real common for players to stick.

There are some exceptions, like goalkeepers or the odd late bloomers.

The rules are different. They do mass subs and the clock counts in the wrong direction.

It’s a dead end. They should reform the whole thing. Have a fall and spring season, and play the same rules that everyone else does.

Reaction Score
I've never played lacrosse and I thought it would be fun to play because you get to throw a ball around rather than kick it. But then I watch it and I realize, nah, it's just boring. I suppose practice might be OK where you just fire shots at the goalie because that's really all there is. Run up the field, twirl the sticks, and fire a shot at the goalie once in a while

It’s like playing basketball, hockey, soccer and football all at once.

Reaction Score
Box lacrosse is a lot more fun to watch than field lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Box lacrosse is a lot more fun to watch than field lacrosse.

I used to watch indoor soccer...faster than outdoor, big field soccer...the Tallahassee Scorpions played in the Eastern Indoor Soccer League.

There is a indoor facility in Tallahassee...Level Up Futbol...where kids to adults play in 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 games to hone skills....

When I coached, we sometimes went half fields and 5 on 5...basically a midfielder's game.

Reaction Score
I used to watch indoor soccer...faster than outdoor, big field soccer...the Tallahassee Scorpions played in the Eastern Indoor Soccer League.

There is a indoor facility in Tallahassee...Level Up Futbol...where kids to adults play in 3 on 3 and 5 on 5 games to hone skills....

When I coached, we sometimes went half fields and 5 on 5...basically a midfielder's game.
Any sport that the battling brain surgeons of Johns Hopkins are a national power is suspect, ditto any sport where you can't get a matchup of LSU versus Texas for a National Championship because they don't play it.

Reaction Score
Any sport that the battling brain surgeons of Johns Hopkins are a national power is suspect, ditto any sport where you can't get a matchup of LSU versus Texas for a National Championship because they don't play it.

Hey...FSU just announced that they are adding Women's Lacrosse as a scholarship sport (now club sport). I guess they aren't joining the SEC. I believe they are shoring up Title IX, myself.

But BC was good last year (won the ACC in Women's Lacrosse) so maybe having a non revenue sport that you are good in gives fans something to cheer about when other sports go sour.

Reaction Score
There’s strategy. Baseball has strategy too, but it’s also horrible to watch.
Only strategy in baseball is. Wiilie Mays’s
“They throw I hit, they hit I catch it”

Reaction Score
Suggestions to add sports are fine. Your checkbook is the only thing that will make it happen. The rest is Boneyard claptrap. Especially given the resources football needs to survive.

Reaction Score
Providence sponsors lacrosse in the Big East. How expensive can it be?

Georgetown, Nova, St. John's, PC, Marquette, Denver. The conference could use a program like UConn, again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom