We are 9-0 when DHam... | The Boneyard

We are 9-0 when DHam...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
takes 10 shots or less in a game, and UConn is 6-6 when DHam attempts more than 10 field goals in a game.

I don't think it means that we will automatically win every game if Dham takes less than 10 shots, but 21 games into the season it shows that the team plays better when DHam looks to be a facilitator instead of a scorer.

We don't need DHam to be a leading scorer on the team, we need him to be a leading player on offense, which means setting up other guys to get easy buckets (which he does well) AND being smart with picking his shots in the flow of the offense as opposed to forcing shots with the one on one behind the back dribble fadeaway shots we have seen him do too often this season.

Our defense is playing at a championship level. We don't need an explosive offensive, we don't even need a very good offense, all we need is an offense that doesn't throw away offensive possessions with low percentage shots (such as DHam's one on one behind the back dribble fadeaway jumper; or Gibbs 3 point attempts from 5-10 feet beyond the arc off the dribble), and we will have a chance to not only make the tournament but do some serious damage in the NCAA tournament.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
takes 10 shots or less in a game, and UConn is 6-6 when DHam attempts more than 10 field goals in a game.

I don't think it means that we will automatically win every game if Dham takes less than 10 shots, but 21 games into the season it shows that the team plays better when DHam looks to be a facilitator instead of a scorer.

We don't need DHam to be a leading scorer on the team, we need him to be a leading player on offense, which means setting up other guys to get easy buckets (which he does well) AND being smart with picking his shots in the flow of the offense as opposed to forcing shots with the one on one behind the back dribble fadeaway shots we have seen him do too often this season.

Our defense is playing at a championship level. We don't need an explosive offensive, we don't even need a very good offense, all we need is an offense that doesn't throw away offensive possessions with low percentage shots (such as DHam's one on one behind the back dribble fadeaway jumper; or Gibbs 3 point attempts from 5-10 feet beyond the arc off the dribble), and we will have a chance to not only make the tournament but do some serious damage in the NCAA tournament.
Very interesting statistic and comment. Team ball vs. Alpha everything (one man team). Passes move faster than feet. Take what the defense gives.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Limiting Turnovers, limiting sloppy play, making easy layups and freethrows,a leader, and someone to take control of the team when it starts getting out of control as well as someone to take the last shot. Miller needs the ball every time down. Even if it's just thrown into him and he kicks it back out

Reaction Score
So we won 16 games with DHam taking more or less than 10 shots. You got to love stats that do not tell the whole story.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Limiting Turnovers, limiting sloppy play, making easy layups and freethrows,a leader, and someone to take control of the team when it starts getting out of control as well as someone to take the last shot. Miller needs the ball every time down. Even if it's just thrown into him and he kicks it back out

I love all these S Miller MUST touch the ball on every possesion. (not just pointing you out Swag)
I love what Miller brings to the team but the guy is not infallable
Have you watched him in person? - really isolate on him while UConn has the ball?
In order for him to touch the ball more, he needs to become more active in shedding his mark and getting into the lanes and going to the ball to receive it.
I would bet that 30 % of the time he is playing with his head down and stays in a 5 foot square area.
Again, love what he brings but he, himself, needs to be more active.
Yes, for sure, there are times when he is open and it is ignored by the guards but I never claimed that the team has an effective point guard - yet.

Reaction Score
Not sure why he doesn't get the ball on the low block in the closing minutes of tight games. Every touch Miller gets is seemingly a layup/dunk, good shot in the paint, or he is fouled. I'd rather that than play not to lose and pass it around the perimeter and huck one up with 2 seconds on the shot clock.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Someone else had mentioned this stat a few games ago.

The question that the coaches have to figure out is whether this is a cause or effect. A leading indicator or a lagging indicator. Is Hamilton taking the shots because the offense has stagnated and no one else can create OR does Hamilton's shooting cause the rest of the team to lose interest in moving the ball and creating shots?

Reaction Score
The problem is that nobody can create for themselves.

Purvis can't dribble well enough, Hamilton doesn't have the shooting touch, Gibbs has failed in ISO situations repeatedly, and Jalen Adams is just finding himself now.

If the game is on the line, we have no Kemba or Shabazz who can be confident taking the do or die shot. Hamilton would probably be the 4th or 5th option in my book.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I love all these S Miller MUST touch the ball on every possesion. (not just pointing you out Swag)
I love what Miller brings to the team but the guy is not infallable
Have you watched him in person? - really isolate on him while UConn has the ball?
In order for him to touch the ball more, he needs to become more active in shedding his mark and getting into the lanes and going to the ball to receive it.
I would bet that 30 % of the time he is playing with his head down and stays in a 5 foot square area.
Again, love what he brings but he, himself, needs to be more active.
Yes, for sure, there are times when he is open and it is ignored by the guards but I never claimed that the team has an effective point guard - yet.
Gibbs never feeds him the ball. Miller gets the shot he wants all the time. He may not make them but he gets them. He's not going in their chest with his face. He has so much bounce he can elevate over the guy guarding him. He's smart with the ball. He's a quiet player. He has the lamb quiet personality. Not adriens. He has to touch it bc it opens the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom