We’ll look back fondly on the bundle | The Boneyard

We’ll look back fondly on the bundle

Reaction Score
I heard this on the radio today, and thought a cable bundle may make more sense in the future. What is happening now is somewhat inevitable. Folks have seen the success of netflix and wondered why they're letting them sell their content rather than selling it themselves.

Problem with cable is they loved tacking on stupid fees on top of stupid fees. They had world by you know what's. I personally got tired of haggling with them over price and contracts and them dropping the channels I wanted (SNY) over contract disputes and still charging you early cancellation fees. They literally pushed for cord cutting to become a thing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Someone had floated that show is an attempt to show the NFL they could be a worthy partner. I have no idea what the purpose of ChangeUp could be otherwise. It certainly can’t be demand?

Baseball and boxing have really old fanbases seems to be the only common link with their programming.

We have the guys from Cespedes Family BBQ!!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Someone had floated that show is an attempt to show the NFL they could be a worthy partner. I have no idea what the purpose of ChangeUp could be otherwise. It certainly can’t be demand?

Baseball and boxing have really old fanbases seems to be the only common link with their programming.

We have the guys from Cespedes Family BBQ!!

"Pay $20 a month to watch a show of people talking about baseball!" is some strategy! Especially when MLBN does the same thing every night on cable for far less.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"Pay $20 a month to watch a show of people talking about baseball!" is some strategy! Especially when MLBN does the same thing every night on cable for far less.

FS1 had the exact same show too and then scaled it back to starting at 11.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Disney+. ESPN+ Hulu 12.99 Bundle. If you had know that yesterday you coulda made a mint shorting Netflix.

ESPN+ will have subs. Not sure the audience overlaps...

Reaction Score
That's not bad. Heard an ad on the wfan from optimum today. They're offering that Altice1 with 200mbps internet for 65 bucks a month for life with 220 channels. Its like you always say pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. If cable had remained reasonable cord cutting wouldn't have become a thing.

If cox offers a similar deal here and dont kill you with fees and rental equipment charges i may consider going back.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
and dont kill you with fees and rental equipment charges
That's the thing isn't it? That $65 ends up being like a $120 before adding premiums.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's not bad. Heard an ad on the wfan from optimum today. They're offering that Altice1 with 200mbps internet for 65 bucks a month for life with 220 channels. Its like you always say pigs get fat hogs get slaughtered. If cable had remained reasonable cord cutting wouldn't have become a thing.

If cox offers a similar deal here and dont kill you with fees and rental equipment charges i may consider going back.

the cable cos are fine with cord cutting their margins are higher with internet only service. thats why they dont make the kind of deals they used to make when you threaten to leave.

their problem is going to be what internet options become available.

Reaction Score
the cable cos are fine with cord cutting their margins are higher with internet only service. thats why they dont make the kind of deals they used to make when you threaten to leave.

their problem is going to be what internet options become available.
The 5G I'm sure. That optimum deal is insane.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

ding ding ding.

ESPN+, as a standalone entity, is garbage, unless you have a need for its fringe content.
If they sold that bundle for $25 with all the ESPN networks, they would kill the cablecos, and print money, but they can't kill the golden goose yet.

Reaction Score
ding ding ding.

ESPN+, as a standalone entity, is garbage, unless you have a need for its fringe content.
If they sold that bundle for $25 with all the ESPN networks, they would kill the cablecos, and print money, but they can't kill the golden goose yet.
That Disney offer is to build subs and it is not a money maker, just like Netflix when it first started out. Build the subs, then raise price.

Sports fanatics loved the bundle as the subs that didn't care about sports subsidized those who do. Clearly, watching sports will have to go up in price or the price of sports rights will have to come down. It will be an interesting give and take.

As for Greenfield, he has been negative on Disney for a while. He's bullish on new media over old media and he really panned Disney's purchase of the Fox assets. He was one of the first Wall Street analysts to join and embrace Twitter so he has a very public voice. Some people like him and some people hate him. I think Bob Iger has blocked him on Twitter.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
In the not too distant future there will be internet costing $150/mo and your a la carte or multiple stream content another 100+. So yeah, we’ll miss the bundle era.
On another note, ABC (8 + 59 in CT) remains off DirecTV. over money.
Been several weeks. Cannot get those channels in central CT with indoor antenna either. It’s gettin’ ugly.

Reaction Score
That's what makes it a joke... PBC regulary puts better cards for free on FOX. You're pretty much paying for Matchroom and GBP undercards.

If they do have a compelling fight or card (like WBSS) I'll just find a stream, same with PPV

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom