WCBB Structure Changing - Not All Good | The Boneyard

WCBB Structure Changing - Not All Good

Reaction Score
Expansion of interest across the world, Transfer Portal, NIL, College Conferences are all coming together to change the nature of the game. Sure the best (Geno) will adapt and succeed, but viewer satisfaction may not be the same.

Expansion: In my 10+ years of watching UConn WBB, Geno followed Pat Summit's work in promoting interest in the women's game. He invited coaches to watch his practice sessions, gave constructive critiques when asked (Cori Close) and has succeeded brilliantly to the point now that WCBB viewership holds its own with the men's game. WCBB now has tall and phenomenal athletes who seem to begin at ever younger ages. Many fall just under the radar, only to appear in critical games to deliver their punch. Geno's success has been great for the game, but he has also created his own competition in games and recruiting (Kiki to UCLA, really?) which didn't exist to this extent. (Texas knocking of Stanford) The purist in me grudgingly says this too is good.

Transfer Portal: No recruit or school should be stuck with one another - a good thing - but as with college football it's beginning to look more like recruiting do-over (Saylor). When combined with other forces at work this will likely negatively impact efforts to put a team together and team chemistry. (The BY quoted Kara Lawson already complaining about this.) Some teams will benefit via the portal to fill needs not met the old way via recruiting. It will be a form of free agency without having to compensate the team losing the player. Net net, I'm for benefits for the athletes, so it's likely overall beneficial.

NIL: It's about time athletes were compensated their true worth to their school! I recall a famous UConn men's player saying he went hungry at times because he didn't have money to eat. So, good for the players, but what about the game? In my 10 years of watching, the economic proposition was for players to raise their profiles by playing on national chamionship teams, get drafted by the pros, and earn lucrative contracts overseas. Now that value proposition has evolved where a player's brand is arguably more important. Paige has been voted the #1 WCBB target for NIL deals, and she will likely follow Alabama QB Bryce Young's announced million dollar deal in his first year starting as a Sophomore. Good for him and Paige, and Nick Saban has not been shy in publicizing it. But Bama has already experienced highly recruited talent impatient with lack of playing time and waiting their turn, who have entered the portal. Saylor? Again, net net this is a good thing for the players, but Saylor, like Anna before her, will not be the last. Yes, I know this is part of the game, but not with this rapidity.

College Conferences: Part of raising a player's profile is their platform and team. Playing for UConn is just such a platform, but the Big East is not; it is a handicap for recruiting when compared with the PAC 12 and increasingly the SEC. True, UConn plays in the nation's media capital, and this will still work for some players. But as more talent goes out west and talented teams hone their development throughout the season against one another, the Big East will be at a handicap both for recruiting and team development.

Even as the game has been changing, Geno's achievements are epic! Judging him solely by # of championships borders on absurd. What about his year in and year out reaching the Final Four that no other coach begins to match? He and UConn will be the best until such time (and I rue that day) when he decides that golf is the way to go.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Expansion of interest across the world, Transfer Portal, NIL, College Conferences are all coming together to change the nature of the game. Sure the best (Geno) will adapt and succeed, but viewer satisfaction may not be the same.

Expansion: In my 10+ years of watching UConn WBB, Geno followed Pat Summit's work in promoting interest in the women's game. He invited coaches to watch his practice sessions, gave constructive critiques when asked (Cori Close) and has succeeded brilliantly to the point now that WCBB viewership holds its own with the men's game. WCBB now has tall and phenomenal athletes who seem to begin at ever younger ages. Many fall just under the radar, only to appear in critical games to deliver their punch. Geno's success has been great for the game, but he has also created his own competition in games and recruiting (Kiki to UCLA, really?) which didn't exist to this extent. (Texas knocking of Stanford) The purist in me grudgingly says this too is good.

Transfer Portal: No recruit or school should be stuck with one another - a good thing - but as with college football it's beginning to look more like recruiting do-over (Saylor). When combined with other forces at work this will likely negatively impact efforts to put a team together and team chemistry. (The BY quoted Kara Lawson already complaining about this.) Some teams will benefit via the portal to fill needs not met the old way via recruiting. It will be a form of free agency without having to compensate the team losing the player. Net net, I'm for benefits for the athletes, so it's likely overall beneficial.

NIL: It's about time athletes were compensated their true worth to their school! I recall a famous UConn men's player saying he went hungry at times because he didn't have money to eat. So, good for the players, but what about the game? In my 10 years of watching, the economic proposition was for players to raise their profiles by playing on national chamionship teams, get drafted by the pros, and earn lucrative contracts overseas. Now that value proposition has evolved where a player's brand is arguably more important. Paige has been voted the #1 WCBB target for NIL deals, and she will likely follow Alabama QB Bryce Young's announced million dollar deal in his first year starting as a Sophomore. Good for him and Paige, and Nick Saban has not been shy in publicizing it. But Bama has already experienced highly recruited talent impatient with lack of playing time and waiting their turn, who have entered the portal. Saylor? Again, net net this is a good thing for the players, but Saylor, like Anna before her, will not be the last. Yes, I know this is part of the game, but not with this rapidity.

College Conferences: Part of raising a player's profile is their platform and team. Playing for UConn is just such a platform, but the Big East is not; it is a handicap for recruiting when compared with the PAC 12 and increasingly the SEC. True, UConn plays in the nation's media capital, and this will still work for some players. But as more talent goes out west and talented teams hone their development throughout the season against one another, the Big East will be at a handicap both for recruiting and team development.

Even as the game has been changing, Geno's achievements are epic! Judging him solely by # of championships borders on absurd. What about his year in and year out reaching the Final Four that no other coach begins to match? He and UConn will be the best until such time (and I rue that day) when he decides that golf is the way to go.
They were quoting Kara Walters the SNY television analyst, not Kara Lawson of Duke.

Reaction Score
I think some top players are going to chose their schools by the media market opportunities as much as the quality of the program. For example Kiki. She can be the top player on an emerging team in the LA area. She probably gets a mil in endorsements over time as well if she proves as good as I think she is. It's a factor. To some degree I bet we will see Uconn be the NYC are team and UCLA be the top team in LA. Those will be the premium spots along with Stanford in terms of marketability. South Carolina still is a top team as they are the recruiting mecca in the south, as Uconn has been in the northeast. I think we see more parity over time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't count out Nike U. when it comes to marketing, I'm sure they'll be among the leaders in that department. Ionescu was there just a little too soon, she could've made a killing.

Reaction Score
I think some top players are going to chose their schools by the media market opportunities as much as the quality of the program. For example Kiki. She can be the top player on an emerging team in the LA area. She probably gets a mil in endorsements over time as well if she proves as good as I think she is. It's a factor. To some degree I bet we will see Uconn be the NYC are team and UCLA be the top team in LA. Those will be the premium spots along with Stanford in terms of marketability. South Carolina still is a top team as they are the recruiting mecca in the south, as Uconn has been in the northeast. I think we see more parity over time.
Good post!
Do you think there is really that much importance on location? Our world is so much global now. Isn't so much of this stuff instantaneous on the internet? Attendance at arenas has to be such a small part of the players' exposure. Of course, I agree that there is some regional appeal, but I may not think as much as you do. IMO Paige is going to be everywhere.
I love that commercial that shows an imaginary world in which women athletes are on par or above men athletes in popularity. The male player on the playground wearing a D jersey.
If I'm right, the UConn players will always get a crack at being the most popular players too. Man, I wish the Big East was better! More ESPN games against tougher foes. Gunna be interesting to see what happens.

Reaction Score
AAU is also changing the game...and I suspect its biggest impact is in the recruiting underworld. I'm more concerned about that circle than NIL. NIL, IMO was the right direction to take. There's a lot of money in sports and again, IMO too much of it was directed towards people not actually putting in the work. In the short term, I expect growing pains, but I think long-term it will find its place in collegiate sports.

No one even mouthed "transfer portal" until the COVID impact. It will settle itself after the size of these rosters dwindle. I think athletes saw a rare opportunity that doesn't come along often and tried to use it to their advantage. By my eye test...there were few winners.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom