WCBB attendance | The Boneyard

WCBB attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems like WCBB teams need to play on campus! After seeing a couple of different "tournament" games playing to nearly empty houses, it appears to be a bad idea in many cases to offer these "showcases". I am hoping that the attendance is better for these teams at home - even when school is not in session.

Reaction Score
I think it would help if a school hosted a tournament at their own gym (assuming that's allowed by NCAA rules). I suspect if say UConn, SC, ND, etc were hosting 3 other teams we'd see good crowds. Have an 8 team tournament with 4 big names and there'd be plenty of interest.

Reaction Score
I'd say that having some mid-major programs with strong attendance also host some of these "showcase" tourneys would also be a good idea. Programs like Maine, South Dakota State, Dayton, Marist, Gonzaga, etc, etc would be excellent locations to host "big names" on relatively neutral courts in front of appreciative and knowledgeable crowds. Having games at perrenial Top 20 home courts does nothing to grow the game or fan base. They just amount to more glorified home games for programs that already play more than their fair share of them.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'd say that having some mid-major programs with strong attendance also host some of these "showcase" tourneys would also be a good idea. Programs like Maine, South Dakota State, Dayton, Marist, Gonzaga, etc, etc would be excellent locations to host "big names" on relatively neutral courts in front of appreciative and knowledgeable crowds. Having games at perrenial Top 20 home courts does nothing to grow the game or fan base. They just amount to more glorified home games for programs that already play more than their fair share of them.

Maine is the only Eastern state I haven't visited; if USC plays in Orono, I'm there.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think it would help if a school hosted a tournament at their own gym (assuming that's allowed by NCAA rules). I suspect if say UConn, SC, ND, etc were hosting 3 other teams we'd see good crowds. Have an 8 team tournament with 4 big names and there'd be plenty of interest.
Schools do. Cal was having a tourney this week, a number of mid-majors as well, Colorado, one of the ACC teams . . . I remember talking to someone years ago when RU dropped their in--season tourney and they said it was a hassle and not really worth it for the host school. Absent some other "draw", only the home team's game draws. Of course, the tourneys usually feature one good visiting team and 2 "little sisters". The pattern seems consistent regardless of the level of the home team.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
We've played in double headers in Myrtle Beach and packed the gym. USC hasn't been a top program long enough to have a national following, though, so games have to be driving distance from Columbia to get a lot of fans. We do have a large fan base, but it's mostly in SC.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The location, opponent, and day of the week, all matter. 11/17 (a Thursday) against highly-ranked Baylor had more than 9,000 in attendance (or 90% capacity). Any opponent in XL Center on a weekend will result in more than 10K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom