WBCA Coaches All-Americans | The Boneyard

WBCA Coaches All-Americans

Reaction Score
41282960-529F-479F-9B89-1E72497DAFBF.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I understand that Ashley Joens was voted an AA last season, but in the games I watched her play this season, she didn't seem to be playing at an AA level. And I don't have anything against her because I would watch Iowa State games just to watch her play.

Reaction Score
I understand that Ashley Joens was voted an AA last season, but in the games I watched her play this season, she didn't seem to be playing at an AA level. And I don't have anything against her because I would watch Iowa State games just to watch her play.
I'd agree, Centerstream, although I saw Iowa State only two or three times this season. I believe if someone would argue for Aaliyah being an All-American, it would be in place of Joens.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I'd agree, Centerstream, although I saw Iowa State only two or three times this season. I believe if someone would argue for Aaliyah being an All-American, it would be in place of Joens.
Exactamundo

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
View attachment 86263
Same as AP, just subbed in Joens for Miles. Hard to disagree with any decisions (besides maybe Joens over Miles). Well deserved honorees and I’m thrilled so many of them (5-7) will be back for another year in 2023-24, plus we’ll have Paige and Lee back too.

Reaction Score
I thought Edwards had made a big step toward gaining AA at the South Carolina game... but she trailed off after that, tho she had a couple of good games... too bad... but there's always next year!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
View attachment 86263
Same as AP, just subbed in Joens for Miles. Hard to disagree with any decisions (besides maybe Joens over Miles). Well deserved honorees and I’m thrilled so many of them (5-7) will be back for another year in 2023-24, plus we’ll have Paige and Lee back too.
Who is Lee?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Ayoka Lee, she plays for Kansas State and scored 61 in a game last year and was a 2nd Team AP All American.
Okay. When you said WE, I thought you were speaking of a UConn player. I have always liked Ayoka Lee and wished she played UConn.

Reaction Score
Joens is definitely the odd woman out imo. Miles or Edwards would’ve been more worthy. I fear UConn’s Sweet 16 loss sealed Aaliyah’s fate.
That's possible but Joens' team lost in the first round so unsure how much postseason success plays into it. As always reputation also plays a role. Edwards made an incredible leap this year and will likely continue to grow next year as well.

Reaction Score
That's possible but Joens' team lost in the first round so unsure how much postseason success plays into it. As always reputation also plays a role. Edwards made an incredible leap this year and will likely continue to grow next year as well.
That makes it even more mind boggling to me

Reaction Score
Seeing Iowa State two or three times is probably two or three times more than most of the AP voters watched them. With 10 on the first team and 42 honorable mentions you would have to watch hundreds of games spread across 4 time zones in addition to fulfilling your other job responsibilities to watch each of those players multiple times and grade them. Don’t sell your evaluation short.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Joens is definitely the odd woman out imo. Miles or Edwards would’ve been more worthy. I fear UConn’s Sweet 16 loss sealed Aaliyah’s fate.
Wasn't the voting done before the tournament started?

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I’m not sure
The previously announced AA teams that were announced in the last couple of days all were voted on before the tournament, so I am guessing/assuming.

Reaction Score
That would be true of almost every player though. If you watch a handful of games you might not get the real picture of their value. UCONN has great players but all of them had some really bad games along the way too. I also think the bar is set higher for UCONN players so they have to be a little better to warrant AA status.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
That would be true of almost every player though. If you watch a handful of games you might not get the real picture of their value. UCONN has great players but all of them had some really bad games along the way too. I also think the bar is set higher for UCONN players so they have to be a little better to warrant AA status.
And you think every voter watched every game of every player they voted for? I doubt it because the voters are coaches. So they are going to probably rely on players they coached against (maximum of 3 games+scouting videos?), box scores and highlight videos. As with most voting, they are nothing more than glorified popularity contests based on exposure from ESPN, other sports media outlets, etcetera.
So in my opinion, she didn't seem to be playing at the same level as in previous years. One reason could be the loss of Soares but that shouldn't have any effect on the voting.
Again, it is just my opinion and it cannot be wrong. IMO.

Reaction Score
I thought Edwards had made a big step toward gaining AA at the South Carolina game... but she trailed off after that, tho she had a couple of good games... too bad... but there's always next year!
Next season, assuming no injuries, there will be a log jam for AA among the team ... Paige, Azzi, Aaliyah and hopefully Caroline can return to form. Of course CD won't have a chance if she doesn't start. And for those that wish to argue that starting isn't important, therein is one one why it is. Regardless, it should be very interesting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom