WBB Announcing | The Boneyard

WBB Announcing

Reaction Score
I’ve been poking around here for a few years with occasional comments, this is my first thread. While in general sports announcing is not exactly the pinnacle of journalistic achievement, I contend that oral WBB coverage is exceptionally abysmal. Allow me to count the ways…

Firstly, I acknowledge that it was not that long ago WBB was not even available for viewing. The opportunity to watch a myriad of collegiate and professional games is unprecedented and I cherish it. Secondly, while many will likely disagree, I must also concede that I fully support the social and political issues that are being intertwined with sports, and is not a focus of my rant. Having said that, in general, WBB coverage has driven me to a remote musical accompaniment in lieu of the broadcast oratory as it does not deliver what I want.

When I watch a game I am seeking real-time play-by-play and details regarding fouls, subs, and frankly, not much else; delivered in a knowledgeable manner in an even pitch. I know that is too mellow for the masses, such that I expect some hype. But c’mon! I yearn for immediate explanations to what I’m watching, not player bio’s better suited to the Hallmark Channel. I have that in my cable package if I want it. I hear repeatedly that the broadcast must relate to a casual viewer, such that completely action-focused presentations will turn-off this segment. I say BS. I contend it is an unsupported example of trying to cater to the masses at the expense of the more hardcore fan. I hear the same for other athletic endeavors, notably Olympic sports. I can relate that I had the opportunity to watch the Rio Olympics on television while in Italy, and while there was a bit of “up close and personal” drivel, for the most part it was all sports, all nations, all participants, all the time, and it was wonderful. NBC should be ashamed.

Foremost, the constant, ceaseless fawning over the athletes is simply over-the-top. Before her injury, Ionescu was being redundantly worshiped as the second coming. For crying out loud, the woman has played in a total of 3 WNBA games, give it a break! If Stewie scores over 20, you can guarantee her 22nd will be accompanied with a full minute of adulation regarding her comeback; her 24th will include another gushing tribute to her college credentials; then when she hits a tre for 27, here comes Holly with her assessment to reiterate everything already just said. Then back to Mary Murphy for a further dissertation of BS’s hardships growing up and how her fam and the game made her stronger. All the while in live action there have been 20 points scored, 3 blocks, 2 steals with successful fast breaks and multiple fouls and subs, all without mention. Then rinse and repeat for the next scorer. I recall watching Big Syl get a shot stuffed by a diminutive guard, certainly a noteworthy moment. Not a word about it as some meaningless discourse was droning on. In the course of one of the endless, excruciating exchanges with Lobo, I don’t recall the exact context, Ruocco alluded: “that’s a play-by-play man’s dream”, referring to himself. I’ve heard play-by-play men, (mostly in the past except for Joe Beninati), and Ryan Ruocco: “you sir, are no play-by-play man!” Repeatedly asking your portended color-commentator partner absolutely inane questions, then siting silently while said partner responds with their equally frivolous and over-complicated answer, while in the meantime all the above action has occurred, then you finally break in and scream: “and Arike hits the 3”, does not constitute play-by-play! Asking Lobo in a guardedly knowledgeable and artificially earnest manner if Natasha Howard’s resurgence will be good for the Storm is not exactly ground breaking stuff that I can’t discern for myself, and certainly unworthy of your viewers missing out on who just picked up their 3rd foul or who caused the turnover. “Back to you John Brickley for a studio update on our halftime show where we will repeat ad nauseam everything we talked about instead of the game during the first half.” Incidentally, Lobo is one of the few I can stomach. I also acknowledge that most current WNBA commentary is being administered off-site.

While not as dangerous as in some rhetoric, holding onto a storyline regardless of reality is easily as rampant in WBB announcing. A recent thread on this site titled “Am I Wrong in Wondering Why Griner Has Not Dominated in the WNBA” makes this point and I agree with the author wholeheartedly. Tune into a Merc game and you’d think Griner had the dominance of a Mikaela Shiffrin or Katie Ledecky, even a female Usain Bolt. It simply isn’t there. A similar example of a falsehood endlessly promoted is Sam Brunelle being ND’s end-all 3-point shooter. I’ve watched and I don’t see it regardless of how often I’m told it.

Then there are the screamers. I maintain that there is little broadcasted that is more dramatic than live sports. It’s beyond me why the powers-that-be seem to insist that the delivery be done at a vein-popping pitch. Please simply tell me what’s happening. I’m actually insulted that the networks feel I need a bombastic aural assault to recognize the veracity of the action. Tone it down a bit Seattle’s Dick Fain! You sound more like a lunatic than a sports announcer. Amplitude is good in the halfpipe, I can hear you otherwise on the soundwaves.

If you want to coach, then coach. If you want to announce, then announce. At least Kara Lawson listened. Debbie Antonelli should follow her lead. While her monotone is the antithesis of a screamer, her content is the most drab, obvious factoids that seemingly never end. Yes, I realize “you can’t do that”, and “you must do this”, and “I like this” and “I don’t like that” ad infin. The detail is excruciating as it’s at the expense of any recognition of what’s happening on the floor. If Antonelli’s on the slate, the music’s on before the tipoff on my watch. There are many coaching openings and your talents would be much more valuable out of earshot on someone’s bench!

While almost all are incessant talkers, some are masters. LaChina? Pam Ward? Now those women can talk! And talk and talk and talk. If LaChina is making a point, you can bet that point will be made completely, regardless of how trivial or long it takes and what is happening on the floor. Holy smokes! I appreciate your between-the-game commentary, but that’s where it belongs. BETWEEN the games, not DURING!

When you interview an athlete, please find one that wants to be there, even if they’re not the face of the franchise. I understand that on-screen persona is not important and not what a team recruits, but one-word answers under obvious duress are as painful to watch as the pain exhibited on the face of the interviewee. Surely there is a representative that will at least exhibit some enthusiasm. Generally I feel no more informed for having listened and I’d rather do without.

Thank you for the opportunity for my rant. I’m so grateful WBB is on, so disappointed as to what it could be. I’ve been stewing on this for some time and finally decided to post. While I’ve seen some common discontent on this site, I’m curious if there is much agreement, or if I should suck-it-up and zip it. Pile on!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
:) Yeah, I think we all know what you're talking about.

MBB has a few ceaseless talkers about anything other than the game at hand like Dick Vitale and Bill Walton, but generally it's not so bad.

Most of the people associated w/ WBB and ESPN are bad in this regard. W/ college hoops, some of the on air talent working for the networks of specific conferences do a good job, but that's not what you get with national coverage.

Sometimes I can tune it out, and sometimes it drives me nuts.

Reaction Score
:) Yeah, I think we all know what you're talking about.

MBB has a few ceaseless talkers about anything other than the game at hand like Dick Vitale and Bill Walton, but generally it's not so bad.

Most of the people associated w/ WBB and ESPN are bad in this regard. W/ college hoops, some of the on air talent working for the networks of specific conferences do a good job, but that's not what you get with national coverage.

Sometimes I can tune it out, and sometimes it drives me nuts.

While I rarely watch MBB, I can stomach Walton. While often off-the-wall and subject, usually his commentary has at least some interesting content delivered at a speaking volume. Vitale is a clown, baby!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
While I rarely watch MBB, I can stomach Walton. While often off-the-wall and subject, usually his commentary has at least some interesting content delivered at a speaking volume. Vitale is a clown, baby!

I don't watch much MBB anymore, but for several years hearing Walton constantly, he grew to be intolerable to me. You can only hear about sleeping out under the stars in the Arizona desert, and his trusty dog, and bike riding, and big trees, and Grateful Dead concerts so many times. It kinda seems scripted, since he keeps hitting the same things over and over again. And he always has a book recommendation for his broadcast partner, who never reads any of the books Bill tries to force on him. And he pretends he can't ever remember his partners name. He gets downright insulting at times.

Actually, I grew to dislike Walton long before he wound up doing many games on Pac 12 Network. He used to do Portland Blazers broadcasts, and he was annoying then. The good thing was his partner back then, Steve "Snapper" Jones, used to put Bill in his place in a heartbeat.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
1. Know the names of everyone on the floor and practice how to pronounce them.

^^Until we can get that, I'm not particularly confident the rest will follow. If you can master Giannis Antetokounmpo, then there is no excuse.

Reaction Score
1. Know the names of everyone on the floor and practice how to pronounce them.

^^Until we can get that, I'm not particularly confident the rest will follow. If you can master Giannis Antetokounmpo, then there is no excuse.
I’ve been saying that for along time .its why I hated Dave O’Brien in the final four couldn’t pronounce the names correctly

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Getting players repeatedly mixed up seems pretty close to unforgivable. I watched an early game with Dallas. I'm sorry, but KLS and Alarie just don't look that much alike, how hard can it be to tell which one is which? Like I said at the time, one has a pony tail, one has a bun. Problem solved, even for a person of limited intelligence.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I’ve been saying that for along time .its why I hated Dave O’Brien in the final four couldn’t pronounce the names correctly

During a game this weekend, one of the announcers kept calling Jewel Lloyd, Julia Lloyd. I nearly lost it.

Reaction Score
We all know that most play by play people, after the first five minutes of a game, do a pretty poor job
of calling the game. Among those that I have heard, the one that does the best job in calling the
game is Eric Frede.

Even when his broadcast partner is talking about something unrelated to the game at hand, Eric
manages to shoehorn in who made the shot or who got the rebound. Even in blowout games (and he
called a great many UConn games for NESN) when most on air people develop the verbal equivalent
of a blank stare, Eric keeps calling the game and making pertinent comments about what is happening
on the floor.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Getting players repeatedly mixed up seems pretty close to unforgivable. I watched an early game with Dallas. I'm sorry, but KLS and Alarie just don't look that much alike, how hard can it be to tell which one is which? Like I said at the time, one has a pony tail, one has a bun. Problem solved, even for a person of limited intelligence.
One male announcer gets players mixed up on every game I have seen him announce, and he makes many mistakes on the score and the call on the floor. I believe his last name is Schulman. He has been bad, imo.

Reaction Score
During a game this weekend, one of the announcers kept calling Jewel Lloyd, Julia Lloyd. I nearly lost it.
OK, I'll admit it. I started shouting at the TV the third time she did it. So I really did lose it but come on, Jewel's been in the league since 2015.

One male announcer gets players mixed up on every game I have seen him announce, and he makes many mistakes on the score and the call on the floor. I believe his last name is Schulman. He has been bad, imo.
I agree. Same guy who was murdering Ezi Magbegor's name so bad it almost seemed on purpose. He kept the M and the first g, then apparently picked all the other letters at random. :rolleyes: How hard is it to loop the pronunciation on your phone and practice it while you're doing routine stuff?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Announcing is very uneven. I haven't seen enough of the "W" this year to comment on that, but over all I have high respect for Brenda VanLengen, in particular. Ron Thulin who I heard on one of the WNBA games is often paired with her for college.

I like Paul Sunderland, but he is an acquired taste. He is about as "far out" as I go. Some (not all) former coaches are dreadful, OTH, both Dan Hughes and Mike Thibault, from a "technical" aspect were very good at explaining plays.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'd like to point out that this year, the announcers aren't at the games. I don't remember hearing as many mis-identifications of players, fouls, etc. in the past. The announcers are used to being six feet from the action, being able to see in 3D, and being able to talk to the referees. I'm sure they have good setups at home or in Bristol, but it's still not the same as being there.

Of course, that has nothing to do with their random musings.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Announcing is very uneven. I haven't seen enough of the "W" this year to comment on that, but over all I have high respect for Brenda VanLengen, in particular. Ron Thulin who I heard on one of the WNBA games is often paired with her for college.

I like Paul Sunderland, but he is an acquired taste. He is about as "far out" as I go. Some (not all) former coaches are dreadful, OTH, both Dan Hughes and Mike Thibault, from a "technical" aspect were very good at explaining plays.
VanLangen is quite good to me but I have not heard her on any WNBA games. Thulin may be the guy who has been dreadful this season. I know they are not there but I'm not either and that is no excuse for misidentifying players. Slow down and concentrate. Just saying.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
VanLangen is quite good to me but I have not heard her on any WNBA games. Thulin may be the guy who has been dreadful this season. I know they are not there but I'm not either and that is no excuse for misidentifying players. Slow down and concentrate. Just saying.
At least the games I heard him on he was paired with Carolyn Peck. On CBSSN. But I haven't taped any games in the last week or so. I think he might have done some misidentifying, although I admit it was background noise to me.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
......................... Pile on!

You made a good point.

Okay then; "Pile on!" time: THEN, you made the same point SEVEN more times.

Please take this in the spirit in which it is intended.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hey Andy, it is pronounced Oh-doh-dah...Olivia Nelson Ododa
Come on Rebecca, get LARGE CUE CARDS and work with him, his "aw shucks Southern drawl" is tiresome...

Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reaction Score
I’ve been poking around here for a few years with occasional comments, this is my first thread. While in general sports announcing is not exactly the pinnacle of journalistic achievement, I contend that oral WBB coverage is exceptionally abysmal. Allow me to count the ways…

Firstly, I acknowledge that it was not that long ago WBB was not even available for viewing. The opportunity to watch a myriad of collegiate and professional games is unprecedented and I cherish it. Secondly, while many will likely disagree, I must also concede that I fully support the social and political issues that are being intertwined with sports, and is not a focus of my rant. Having said that, in general, WBB coverage has driven me to a remote musical accompaniment in lieu of the broadcast oratory as it does not deliver what I want.

When I watch a game I am seeking real-time play-by-play and details regarding fouls, subs, and frankly, not much else; delivered in a knowledgeable manner in an even pitch. I know that is too mellow for the masses, such that I expect some hype. But c’mon! I yearn for immediate explanations to what I’m watching, not player bio’s better suited to the Hallmark Channel. I have that in my cable package if I want it. I hear repeatedly that the broadcast must relate to a casual viewer, such that completely action-focused presentations will turn-off this segment. I say BS. I contend it is an unsupported example of trying to cater to the masses at the expense of the more hardcore fan. I hear the same for other athletic endeavors, notably Olympic sports. I can relate that I had the opportunity to watch the Rio Olympics on television while in Italy, and while there was a bit of “up close and personal” drivel, for the most part it was all sports, all nations, all participants, all the time, and it was wonderful. NBC should be ashamed.

Foremost, the constant, ceaseless fawning over the athletes is simply over-the-top. Before her injury, Ionescu was being redundantly worshiped as the second coming. For crying out loud, the woman has played in a total of 3 WNBA games, give it a break! If Stewie scores over 20, you can guarantee her 22nd will be accompanied with a full minute of adulation regarding her comeback; her 24th will include another gushing tribute to her college credentials; then when she hits a tre for 27, here comes Holly with her assessment to reiterate everything already just said. Then back to Mary Murphy for a further dissertation of BS’s hardships growing up and how her fam and the game made her stronger. All the while in live action there have been 20 points scored, 3 blocks, 2 steals with successful fast breaks and multiple fouls and subs, all without mention. Then rinse and repeat for the next scorer. I recall watching Big Syl get a shot stuffed by a diminutive guard, certainly a noteworthy moment. Not a word about it as some meaningless discourse was droning on. In the course of one of the endless, excruciating exchanges with Lobo, I don’t recall the exact context, Ruocco alluded: “that’s a play-by-play man’s dream”, referring to himself. I’ve heard play-by-play men, (mostly in the past except for Joe Beninati), and Ryan Ruocco: “you sir, are no play-by-play man!” Repeatedly asking your portended color-commentator partner absolutely inane questions, then siting silently while said partner responds with their equally frivolous and over-complicated answer, while in the meantime all the above action has occurred, then you finally break in and scream: “and Arike hits the 3”, does not constitute play-by-play! Asking Lobo in a guardedly knowledgeable and artificially earnest manner if Natasha Howard’s resurgence will be good for the Storm is not exactly ground breaking stuff that I can’t discern for myself, and certainly unworthy of your viewers missing out on who just picked up their 3rd foul or who caused the turnover. “Back to you John Brickley for a studio update on our halftime show where we will repeat ad nauseam everything we talked about instead of the game during the first half.” Incidentally, Lobo is one of the few I can stomach. I also acknowledge that most current WNBA commentary is being administered off-site.

While not as dangerous as in some rhetoric, holding onto a storyline regardless of reality is easily as rampant in WBB announcing. A recent thread on this site titled “Am I Wrong in Wondering Why Griner Has Not Dominated in the WNBA” makes this point and I agree with the author wholeheartedly. Tune into a Merc game and you’d think Griner had the dominance of a Mikaela Shiffrin or Katie Ledecky, even a female Usain Bolt. It simply isn’t there. A similar example of a falsehood endlessly promoted is Sam Brunelle being ND’s end-all 3-point shooter. I’ve watched and I don’t see it regardless of how often I’m told it.

Why wouldn't announcers fawn over Ionescu and Stewart?

For example - with Stewart. She was number 1 H/S Player. She was the number 1 college player. She was a number 1 WNBA player. She won an unprecedented 4 Nat'l Titles. She has been Finals MVP's in both college and WNBA. She has won two WNBA Titles. In all, she has never been a prolific scorer, - so why shouldn't she be fawned over for winning as much as she did/has understanding that her game is not all about being a prolific scorer? So if she gets her 22nd point and they fawn over her- if they don't do it at her 22nd point- then what number of points do you require an adulation?

I guess Bill Russell should never have been fawned over either?

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You guys can blame all of this excessive talking to no one but John Madden. Because of his blabber, others started to do the same in football, then it got carried over to other sports. I used to watch every pro football game that I could, now I only watch the Saints, because of Drew. One of the best football games I can remeber was a Jets game years ago. Why, because they didn't have any announcers.

Reaction Score
You guys can blame all of this excessive talking to no one but John Madden. Because of his blabber, others started to do the same in football, then it got carried over to other sports. I used to watch every pro football game that I could, now I only watch the Saints, because of Drew. One of the best football games I can remeber was a Jets game years ago. Why, because they didn't have any announcers.
I watched the "Skycast" version of the CFB playoffs, and to my surprise and delight, no commentary! The audible stadium announcer gave me all I needed. It was an epiphany!

Reaction Score
Why wouldn't announcers fawn over Ionescu and Stewart?

For example - with Stewart. She was number 1 H/S Player. She was the number 1 college player. She was a number 1 WNBA player. She won an unprecedented 4 Nat'l Titles. She has been Finals MVP's in both college and WNBA. She has won two WNBA Titles. In all, she has never been a prolific scorer, - so why shouldn't she be fawned over for winning as much as she did/has understanding that her game is not all about being a prolific scorer? So if she gets her 22nd point and they fawn over her- if they don't do it at her 22nd point- then what number of points do you require an adulation?

I guess Bill Russell should never have been fawned over either?
With all due respect, I contend that you missed my point. I threw out names and scenarios randomly to make my point, which is that IMO the degree of fawning over any and all athletes is completely over-the-top, whomever it is. I'm aware of Ionescu and Stewart's history such that I don't need it hammered over my head over and over and over all broadcast long!

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
You guys can blame all of this excessive talking to no one but John Madden. Because of his blabber, others started to do the same.....

OOOOOOOH Jeez,

I loved John Madden. He had this knack for making things clear in a sort of folksy way.

Here are a few nuggets:

• The road to Easy Street goes through the sewer.
  • Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.
  • Coaches have to watch for what they don't want to see and listen to what they don't want to hear.
  • If you see a defense team with dirt and mud on their backs they've had a bad day.
  • You got one guy going boom, one guy going whack, and one guy not getting in the end-zone.
  • The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer rules there are for players to break.
  • At the end of the game the team with the most points on the board is going to win.
  • If a guy doesn't work hard and doesn't play well, he can't lead anything. All he is, is a talker.

And, this is a personal favorite:
  • Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.

@Pinhead - I don't disagree with your overall analysis - but John Madden is not the posterchild ------ I Beg You...

Reaction Score
I blame ESPN, but there's also been a bit to pin on the other networks with Packer and McGuire, but ESPN always seems to want to hype the game beyond what it puts on the table - I think in an effort to present itself as more relevant to the sports it broadcasts, as if those sports wouldn't have the value they do if it wasn't ESPN that was broadcasting them. But I would really enjoy if all the hyperbole and yakking was taken out of the commentary, and they just did basic play-by-play, and on-point color.....

Reaction Score
With all due respect, I contend that you missed my point. I threw out names and scenarios randomly to make my point, which is that IMO the degree of fawning over any and all athletes is completely over-the-top, whomever it is. I'm aware of Ionescu and Stewart's history such that I don't need it hammered over my head over and over and over all broadcast long!

I don't think it is more than many other superstars - at least for Stewart, any more than the superstars for the elite NBA men. They have to try to promote their superstars because it's the superstars that sell their respective games.

I think you have many valid points but when it comes to superstars I don't agree with your point about them. Your complaint on this imo is nowhere near what their ,marketing analysis probably shows them. They have to promote them as much as possible.

Reaction Score

Not Madden. It started with Howard and Dandy Don and mostly it was Howard who would take an 8 yard gain and turn it into the best play of the century and spend half the game going back to that one play until Don would playfully tell him to shut up.

They were very entertaining on a Monday night. It created a new type of announcing, however no one was as good as those guys and their copycats lacked the imagination or the delivery they did.

If I can get the audio and video to sync up I watch games on mute with the radio broadcast. Short of that I use music for my audio.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom