Way Too Early - Starters predictions | The Boneyard

Way Too Early - Starters predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Mine (or what I wouldn't mind to see)
On Offense:
QB - B. Shireffs
RB - J. Marriner (I still like him a lot... he had a tough go of it early on with the fumble, but he's a baller too)
FB - J. Claxx
WR - Noel Thomas
TE - Alec Bloom
LOT - A. Knappe
LG - D. Gifford (yep, I'd love to move him inside... be a swing OL that can go from OG to OT)
C - K. Bockeloh
RG - T. Rutherford (another kid I think would be a nice swing OL that can play inside and out on the OL for us)
ROT - Richard Levy
WR - Thomas Lucas

*NOTE* if - we start without a FB, then we have WR D. Bradley in at the slot receiver position...

On Defense:
LDE: C. Ormsby (I predict this kid makes that jump to next level status this season. he was ballin for us last year as a RS Frosh)
DT: J. Campenni
DT: F. Fatukasi
RDE: K. Adeyemi (hope he can set the edge on his side... IMO, this spot can be replaced at any time this coming season.. we've got some pretty big kids waiting in the wings who might be able to take the spot - S. Lawley, J. Adkins)
SOLB - L. Carrezola
MLB - M. Vann ( he's our leader on D )
WOLB - G. Stewart (love this kid's energy/motor, but he can be a slight liability at times... another spot that can get taken over the course of the season by some other kids - V. Diggs, C. Stapelton .. Actually hoping Diggs, who can get to the QB takes it fulltime)
CB - J. Summers (he'll be better.. he did decent for a kid that just came in late (2 Springs ago to come in and end up starting after B Jones got hurt)
CB - Jhavon Williams (hoping he's better.. honestly, he's been a Pass Interference call waiting to happen when lined up one on one with receivers.. I hope kids like Jhavon Hadley and Brice McCallister push for his spot.. either get him to step his game up or surpass him)
SS - A Adams ( leader of the secondary... I think he's gonna do some serious work back there for us... He's done nothing but got better each year, even with the coaching shenanigans)
FS - O. Melinfonwu (hopefully the physical specimen can live up to the hype and exceed... there was a lot of talk about the ground he covered because of his physical/athletic attributes last year but I hope he takes that next step.. He does and we are gonna be a serious problem for opposing teams offense)

Again, this is would I'd like to see I know a lot of you might not like my Josh Marriner pick as the starting RB, but I still think the kid has some ability...

What's your ideal lineup?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
My player of the year isn't in your lineup!!
I like it except for the RB - I think its Johnsons job to lose.

Reaction Score
Interesting that you swapped Knappe and Levy to opposite ends of the line they played last year. I haven't been a fan of Levy, but maybe we were spoiled with the consistency of Jimmy Bennett a couple years ago. Will Levy do better at RT? Is Knappe ready for LT where he has never played? If so I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
I have to say I like Marriner a lot, too. I thought he looked like the best back in the spring game and he has some tools. Very disappointed in his play last year. I think we see he and Johnson as 1 and 1a sort of like Todman and Dixon were in 2009 if not as dominant.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think that a lot of the RB's will each get some burn during games, but I agree with Bonehead that it's Johnson's job to lose at this point. Also, I've got a feeling that Vontae Diggs at LB will definitely be heard from this year. Certainly the most interesting part of the starting lineup for me will be on the OL. Even with a gun to my head, I'm not sure I could accurately pick out the starting 5 there...

Reaction Score
My player of the year isn't in your lineup!!
I like it except for the RB - I think its Johnsons job to lose.
I purposely excluded Big Papa Johnson to stir the pot a bit... IMO, there are kids on this team that may very well take someone's spot that we thought might be entrenched at their position after last year's showing... The fact of the matter is a few kids should probably lose their spot. Coming off a 2-10 season as a starter doesn't make you a lock by any means for the next season. New coach/regime with everybody a full year under their belt = learning curves... Some actually get it faster than others; however, some make adjustments and ultimately surpass those that were ahead of them in the past.

I believe we have a ton of talent at RB with Big Poppa, J. Marriner, Arkeel, and DeLorenzo (along with Claxx) back there... Any one of the first 3 mentioned could step up... Arkeel's our biggest playmaker of the bunch... when he's in the open field, watch out. Big Pappa is just a monster truck that's hard to bring down, while Marriner provides you with a compact hard running bowling ball type style.. DeLorenzo compliments them all with his experience and ability to move the chains if/when need be... IMO, we are loaded... which excites me.

Now alls we need is our OL to play sound solid football up front.. then we'll be able to get a good look at who's gonna provide the most for us..

Reaction Score
Until he adds some strength/size in my mind Newsome is behind the others as a running back. I see his role as return man, maybe even a slot receiver. Get him the ball in space and he is dangerous but don't ask him to make his own space. I'd teach him to return punts too by the way. I could see him being a great return guy.

Reaction Score
Until he adds some strength/size in my mind Newsome is behind the others as a running back. I see his role as return man, maybe even a slot receiver. Get him the ball in space and he is dangerous but don't ask him to make his own space. I'd teach him to return punts too by the way. I could see him being a great return guy.

If Newsome comes back this season at 185-190lbs and maintains his flexibility, watch out... talk about a lethal weapon with the ball in his hands... I definitely like the idea of him being our primary return guy....

Reaction Score
I purposely excluded Big Papa Johnson to stir the pot a bit... IMO, there are kids on this team that may very well take someone's spot that we thought might be entrenched at their position after last year's showing... The fact of the matter is a few kids should probably lose their spot. Coming off a 2-10 season as a starter doesn't make you a lock by any means for the next season. New coach/regime with everybody a full year under their belt = learning curves... Some actually get it faster than others; however, some make adjustments and ultimately surpass those that were ahead of them in the past.

I believe we have a ton of talent at RB with Big Poppa, J. Marriner, Arkeel, and DeLorenzo (along with Claxx) back there... Any one of the first 3 mentioned could step up... Arkeel's our biggest playmaker of the bunch... when he's in the open field, watch out. Big Pappa is just a monster truck that's hard to bring down, while Marriner provides you with a compact hard running bowling ball type style.. DeLorenzo compliments them all with his experience and ability to move the chains if/when need be... IMO, we are loaded... which excites me.

Now alls we need is our OL to play sound solid football up front.. then we'll be able to get a good look at who's gonna provide the most for us..

Ron Johnson, Audio Consultant

Reaction Score
QB - B. Shireffs
RB - R. Johnson
FB - J. Claxx
WR - Noel Thomas
TE - Alec Bloom/Myers
RT - A. Knappe
LG - D. Gifford
C - Dan Oak
RG - T. Rutherford
LT - Richard Levy
WR - Thomas Lucas

*NOTE* if - we start without a FB, then we have WR D. Bradley in at the slot receiver position...
I disagree; I think we add a TE (Myers) and push Bloom out in slot or wide or add Arkeel or

On Defense:
LDE: C. Ormsby
DT: J. Campenni
DT: F. Fatukasi
RDE: K. Adeyemi
SOLB - L. Carrezola
MLB - M. Vann
WOLB - G. Stewart
CB - J. Summers
CB - Jhavon Williams
SS - A Adams
FS - O. Melinfonwu

I am expecting more 3-4, so I would slot Ormsby w/Adeyemi at one end and FF at other
I would then slot Junior Joseph in as 2d MLB

Reaction Score
ktuck911 said:
If Newsome comes back this season at 185-190lbs and maintains his flexibility, watch out... talk about a lethal weapon with the ball in his hands... I definitely like the idea of him being our primary return guy....

He doesn't need to gain weight. His body type is what it is. I think he is going to have a ton of impact on the team this year. Get the ball to him in open space and let him go to work. He has special vision.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I've got a feeling that Vontae Diggs at LB will definitely be heard from this year.

Agree about Diggs. He was the first big flip/recruit by this coaching staff and I get the feeling that his role will be increased by quite a bit this season. Big body and athletic...would be a perfect edge pass rusher type in a 3-4 scheme.

Reaction Score
Ron Johnson was a line bright spot as a true frosh. He plays. Period.

Also, did I miss Samra leaving the program?

Reaction Score
Tommy Hopkins will play OG before Gifford and he is more versatile . Gifford will backup RT.

Reaction Score

While he showed great ability catching a pass in the flat and turning it into big yards, I wasn't impressed with his kickoff returns. Whether it was poor special teams blocking/schemes, or him being a true freshman, I dunno. Seemed like we were always starting drives inside/around the 20 after a kickoff.

Reaction Score
While he showed great ability catching a pass in the flat and turning it into big yards, I wasn't impressed with his kickoff returns. Whether it was poor special teams blocking/schemes, or him being a true freshman, I dunno. Seemed like we were always starting drives inside/around the 20 after a kickoff.
We straight sucked last year.. literally... just horrible... the only thing uniform about us was our uniforms... I'm holding out hope that we see a BRIGHT light at the end of the tunnel once the season gets under way vs. Nova....

Reaction Score
Tommy Hopkins will play OG before Gifford and he is more versatile . Gifford will backup RT.

Good catch.. Knew I was forgetting somebody... Hopkins.. Kid got some burn last year too, no? He's gotta little more size than Gifford if I'm not mistaken... and more versatile, and younger...

Reaction Score
He doesn't need to gain weight. His body type is what it is. I think he is going to have a ton of impact on the team this year. Get the ball to him in open space and let him go to work. He has special vision.
I think his biggest impact will be in the return game and catching the ball out of the backfield. Maybe on the odd sweep type play. He reminds me of the kid West Virginia had a few years ago. If they use him the right way he will be very effective. If they try to make him an every down back he wont

Reaction Score

Good catch.. Knew I was forgetting somebody... Hopkins.. Kid got some burn last year too, no? He's gotta little more size than Gifford if I'm not mistaken... and more versatile, and younger...

Reaction Score
I can think of at least 4 times when we had excellent returns called back for penalties. And that's just off the top of my head. He had one real nice one called back vs BYU.

Reaction Score
I think he was moved around backing up a couple of positions. Diaco said he wanted to move him to OG in order to get more athletic at the position and I was thinking ??????? always thought of him as a RT type, said he was a smart kid too. Probably benefited the most with the direction they wanted to go. They will have a pretty big line next year if Crozier plays C at 6-4. And it will be a mature team, so looking to see improvement this year with an eye toward 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom