Way OT: Skin cancer | The Boneyard

Way OT: Skin cancer

Reaction Score
We eastern European descendants gotta deal with this stuff. So, I just kicked a bout of basal cell carcinoma which was a recurrence from one I had surgically removed about four years ago and cost about $5,000 (high deductible). This time, after lots of research, I used a little known OTC medication which cost me $50. Feel free to PM me if you need advice. I'm not a doctor but I'll show you what worked for me. I've got pics which are not for the squeamish.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We eastern European descendants gotta deal with this stuff. So, I just kicked a bout of basal cell carcinoma which was a recurrence from one I had surgically removed about four years ago and cost about $5,000 (high deductible). This time, after lots of research, I used a little known OTC medication which cost me $50. Feel free to PM me if you need advice. I'm not a doctor but I'll show you what worked for me. I've got pics which are not for the squeamish.
I've had 5 basal cells and three squamous cell tumors removed, but have not had a re-occurrence. I hope you are being treated by a doctor and are not self medicating even after lots of "research". I am not a doctor but am a toxicologist. You may be interested in this paper I wrote a couple of years ago as part of an effort to improve sunscreens here in the US.

Attachments

• Sargent and Travers Sunscreen Paper.pdf
    944.2 KB · Views: 288

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've had 5 basal cells and three squamous cell tumors removed, but have not had a re-occurrence. I hope you are being treated by a doctor and are not self medicating even after lots of "research". I am not a doctor but am a toxicologist. You may be interested in this paper I wrote a couple of years ago as part of an effort to improve sunscreens here in the US.

Best 'chemically safe', ocean water proof sunscreens on the market? Asking for a surfer...

Reaction Score
Basal cell cancers are like an iceberg. What you see on the surface is only a fraction of what lies below. It is essential that it is excised totally. The most common procedure is Moh's surgery where shavings are taken until no tumor is visible microscopically at the deepest level. You better be sure that the cream penetrated and destroyed completely or it will return with a vengeance.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Best 'chemically safe', ocean water proof sunscreens on the market? Asking for a surfer...
I am not a marketing person but the issue is the US FDA has not approved a new sunscreen since 1999. The currently marketed US sunscreens are very good about blocking UVB radiation which causes sunburn but are not good at blocking UVA which causes skin cancer. The outcome of this is we all in the US slather on sunscreen and go sit out in the sun all day and don't get sunburned hence feeling secure that we are protected. In the mean time the incidence of melanoma is epidemic! Sunscreens with UVA protection have been on the market for years in over 60 countries. I would look to European or Australian products containing drometrizole trisiloxane, triazone ecamsule, bisoctrizole, bemotrizinol or octyl triazone to name a few filters not available in the US. Never select a sunscreen that only has one filter (I don't think there are any on the market). Follow directions about application and reapplication and in all cases wear protective clothing as much as possible. I live in Florida and wouldn't think of going out in the sun without my SPF shirt. I would also write my Congressperson and ask them to get the FDA to move on the dozen or so filters that are before them currently (some over 10 years!!).

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Basal cell cancers are like an iceberg. What you see on the surface is only a fraction of what lies below. It is essential that it is excised totally. The most common procedure is Moh's surgery where shavings are taken until no tumor is visible microscopically at the deepest level. You better be sure that the cream penetrated and destroyed completely or it will return with a vengeance.
I had MOHs Surgery little over a year ago. I had it on the top of my head. Numb you up, and slice a triangle of your scalp. Goes to lab, if they got it all, you go home with a stitched head. If not, the slicing continued. Actually the VA did something similar, botched it and sent me to Penn State/ Hershey medical center for the MOHS. So I go back and get stitches out. So this assistant says "here look, this is what was done". Shows me my scalp after they sliced a triangle out of it. Not a pretty sight. Dermatology Department did this. I have visited 6 Derm's and had to snicker. All of them were pasty white.I told one she needed color. lol

Reaction Score
The research on sunscreen is interesting. Skin Cancer rose in Australia after their big push for sunscreen. Mexican migrant workers who work in the US where SunScreen is promoted get it more than those who work in Mexico.

The more you use it, the more you are at risk for a burn when you don't. The burns are what put you at the most risk. Its a double edge sword. You need the natural ebb and flow of the seasons that we don't get being indoors all day.

Not an expert by any means. Just a fair skinned, medical professional with an interest in evidence based medicine. OP, DM me if you need any Rx advice.

Reaction Score
I had MOH surgery 2+ years ago for what seemed like a large zit on my chin. Numb me up and 8 hrs later left with a 1 1/4" hole in my chin 1" deep. I freaked out when I saw it. After numbness wears off very painful. Had to endure 45 minute ride home in a bloody mess and in pain because they don't keep any pain meds in the offices.

Reaction Score
I had MOH surgery 2+ years ago for what seemed like a large zit on my chin. Numb me up and 8 hrs later left with a 1 1/4" hole in my chin 1" deep. I freaked out when I saw it. After numbness wears off very painful. Had to endure 45 minute ride home in a bloody mess and in pain because they don't keep any pain meds in the offices.
Same here, small lesion on my ear turned into a big chunk of my ear removed by Moh's surgery...4 times back and forth to surgery before they announced "we got it all!" So relieved until then they said "now the skin graft!" Wait what!! Like Buddy said, what's on the skin is just the tip of the iceberg.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The research on sunscreen is interesting. Skin Cancer rose in Australia after their big push for sunscreen. Mexican migrant workers who work in the US where SunScreen is promoted get it more than those who work in Mexico.

The more you use it, the more you are at risk for a burn when you don't. The burns are what put you at the most risk. Its a double edge sword. You need the natural ebb and flow of the seasons that we don't get being indoors all day.

Not an expert by any means. Just a fair skinned, medical professional with an interest in evidence based medicine. OP, DM me if you need any Rx advice.
I live in Florida and many if not most workers who are in jobs with significant sun exposure are completely covered up (gardenrs, roofers) or are obligated to sit under umbrellas (life guards). You can tell the Floridians from non-Floridians by who sits in the sun.

Reaction Score

Definitely not an enjoyable procedure. I had Moh's surgery for a blemish on my nose just above the nostril about 4 years ago. It took 4 scrapings before the everything was removed and then the fun part, the skin graft. They grafted skin from my face and raised it up to cover the hole leaving an inch of bare skin from where the graft was taken. Then wrapped my nose and the new bare skin in bandages which stayed on for about 3 weeks. Not much pain, but I did get a lot of stares when I went out in public. Happy to say everything healed and isn't noticeable, plus I've not had any reoccurrence.

Reaction Score
Definitely not an enjoyable procedure. I had Moh's surgery for a blemish on my nose just above the nostril about 4 years ago. It took 4 scrapings before the everything was removed and then the fun part, the skin graft. They grafted skin from my face and raised it up to cover the hole leaving an inch of bare skin from where the graft was taken. Then wrapped my nose and the new bare skin in bandages which stayed on for about 3 weeks. Not much pain, but I did get a lot of stares when I went out in public. Happy to say everything healed and isn't noticeable, plus I've not had any reoccurrence.
Wow, is this you? Same exact procedure.

Reaction Score
No skin graft for me, pulled up skin from my neck and stitch it under my lower lip. Bled like a son of a gun. I had no idea what MOH surgery was. I had surgery for a melanoma and multiple basal cells removed from my face. Was done at Yale by a plastic surgeon and I had no pain after the surgery due to a block .Had stitches all over my face and a 6" scar From the melanoma on my back. That was 2009. Got lucky so far, no reoccurrence.

Reaction Score
Crazy that this topic came up here. I had what I thought was just a small 1cm dried skin patch on my neck. A few years later I got it checked and it was basal cell. Had it removed a month ago via excision (not Moh's). Scar is there but healing well. I was never a sun worshiper but outside a lot for baseball, hoops and golf . Glad I got it checked and removed!

Reaction Score
Crazy that this topic came up here. I had what I thought was just a small 1cm dried skin patch on my neck. A few years later I got it checked and it was basal cell. Had it removed a month ago via excision (not Moh's). Scar is there but healing well. I was never a sun worshiper but outside a lot for baseball, hoops and golf . Glad I got it checked and removed!
Glad you got it checked out and removed early. The longer you wait, the deeper it gets and the surgery sux! Good job.

Reaction Score
Not looking forward to July.

I'm in the my early 30s and got German and Irish in my family. White as it gets.

Got sun burnt way too much as a kid and during college being vain and getting tan as possible trying to get chicks. Never went tanning in a tan bed though. I'm not that dumb.

Got at least 5-6 spots bigger than a pencil eraser and plenty of ones non-asymmetric with some abnormal ones with a sorta comma around the full circle. Tell tale signs of something goin on. Got 2 big ones near my heart. All over my back.

Never been to a dermatologist.
I'm kinda scared quite frankly. Haven't been to a beach or outside for long without a shirt in years but they keep showing up all around my body. I even moved to shade side for FB ST this season b/c I'm sketched out.

I'm one of those that absolutely hate doctors and refuse to go because I think they're drug dealers in white coats and just see $$$ signs for every spot/condition they see.
Look at the opioid epedemic going on.

Finally got an appointment mid July w/ someone at grove hill in NB. My pops had some removed from him on his nose. I don't know anywhere else that's good.

If you guys/gals have a real legit non $$$ sign dermatologist you recommend, please PM me.

Reaction Score
Ct06111 see a dermatologist , they will take off what ones are suspicious and send to a lab.

Reaction Score
Not looking forward to July.

I'm in the my early 30s and got German and Irish in my family. White as it gets.

Got sun burnt way too much as a kid and during college being vain and getting tan as possible trying to get chicks. Never went tanning in a tan bed though. I'm not that dumb.

Got at least 5-6 spots bigger than a pencil eraser and plenty of ones non-asymmetric with some abnormal ones with a sorta comma around the full circle. Tell tale signs of something goin on. Got 2 big ones near my heart. All over my back.

Never been to a dermatologist.
I'm kinda scared quite frankly. Haven't been to a beach or outside for long without a shirt in years but they keep showing up all around my body. I even moved to shade side for FB ST this season b/c I'm sketched out.

I'm one of those that absolutely hate doctors and refuse to go because I think they're drug dealers in white coats and just see $$$ signs for every spot/condition they see.
Look at the opioid epedemic going on.

Finally got an appointment mid July w/ someone at grove hill in NB. My pops had some removed from him on his nose. I don't know anywhere else that's good.

If you guys/gals have a real legit non $$$ sign dermatologist you recommend, please PM me.
You may actually need to see a general surgeon who deals with skin cancers. A good dermatologist will refer you to such. I don't think that you need to be concerned about your doctor hooking you on opioids. There are good and bad guys in everything. I wouldn't paint them all with a broad brush. If you don't like the doctor, go to another.

Reaction Score
You may actually need to see a general surgeon who deals with skin cancers. A good dermatologist will refer you to such. I don't think that you need to be concerned about your doctor hooking you on opioids. There are good and bad guys in everything. I wouldn't paint them all with a broad brush. If you don't like the doctor, go to another.

I'm not worried about getting addicted to opioids... I have had enough shoulder surgeries and dislocations already.

I just don't like doctors. Too much for profit($) going on in marketing of medication, prescriptions, unnecessary surgery/operations, over prescribing drugs etc.(painkillers). That is what I was trying to get at.

I have a appointment with a dermatologist in July. I'm just paranoid that he would want to scrap and test this spot($) and this spot($$) and this one over here($$$).

I know I need to go and I will. I know I'll hate doctors until the day I really need one. At that point, it may be too late. I agree on getting a 2nd opinion. And I will

Reaction Score
Anything that looks suspicious will be sent to a lad for testing. It is what The lab determines is cancerous due to the tissue sent.

Can't put a dollar value on your life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom