Way OT again: Age of sketch comedy (1993) | The Boneyard

Way OT again: Age of sketch comedy (1993)

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Watching the Key & Peele skit made me think of some of the great sketch comedy shows and eras. It seems that the landscape is somewhat dried up right now, but I'm pretty sure that I grew up in what was the greatest age of sketch comedy. The early 90's, and if you want to narrow it down to a year, 1993, had bar none the best collection of sketch comedy and comedians, ever.
  • SNL - the big dog. They lost Chris Rock and Dana Carvey before the fall, but the roster included Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, Mike Myers and David Spade among others. The gap girls, Matt Foley (in a VAN down by the RIVER), and "You put your weed in there" all debuted.
  • In Living Color - strong second. Epic cast including Jim Carrey, Jamie Foxx, all 15 Wayans, David Alan Grier etc. Homey the Clown, Fire Marshall Bill, Handi Man. Good stuff.
  • The State - first aired in 1993. The 30 are under crowd probably doesn't know the show but they know the cast from Reno 911 and a collection of other ventures they've collaborated on. Barry and Levon and the "I wanna dip my balls in it" guy were hilarious.
  • Kind of early in his career but Conan also debuted in 1993. Took him a little while to catch on but he's had a solid run.
Bar none, this was the golden era. And it was well before we had 350 channels of content and you tube.

Reaction Score
Ahh, the benefit of old age. May I suggest for your viewing pleasure earlier giants of TV -

1) Your Show of Shows 1950-1954 Actors Sid Caesar, Carl Reiner, Howard Morris and Imogene Coca; Writers Mel Brooks, Neil Simon, Danny Simon, Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Larry Gelbart and Woody Allen

2) Ernie Kovacs (the Nairobi Trio)

3) Carol Burnett Show

4) Rowan & Martins Laugh In

5) Monty Phython

In today's scene check out "Inside Amy Schumer"

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
When I was a little kid, CBS had the killer TV lineup - Saturday nights from 8-11. But it was all a blur to me until 10pm, when Carol Burnett came on.

That lady was totally insane - but a couple of her cast members were even more crazy than she was. Just an epic comedy show!...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom